FIGHTING FAMILY - WHAT A MOTHER-IN-LAW!

The wife asked her husband where he had spent the night after he was caught sneaking in through the kitchen door in the early morning - unaware that his wife and mother were both up and in the kitchen preparing tea. The son was not pleased with the question, he told his wife it was none of her business and slapped her hard across the face. The mother said nothing to her son about his rude actions - instead she took a sip of tea. The wife however, was not one to take insults sitting down, she returned the slap and a fight ensued. Only then did the mother become interested in what was happening - she threw herself into the fray shouting at her daughter-in-law - "you leave my son alone". Her concern was for her 6ft tall son - no thought for his 5ft 3ins opponent. What a mother-in-law! - what a situation for a wife to find herself in. Have you ever heard of mothers-in-law who behave that way? What about yours - is the relationship between you and your mother-in-law good or bad? Why is it that we hardly hear of fathers-in-law being a problem?
No I have not. hd my fill with mine.LOL
In many cases it is best when couples start married life living on their own.
Yes I have heard of mother in laws like that.
Not very nice.
@Kandae11 No it is not.
@sabtraversa (13338)
She isn't a good mother-in-law, obviously, but she isn't a good mother either! It's okay to be protective with your children, but is that the way you want your son to treat women? I'm not married, and I've never met the mother of my boyfriend, or the mothers of my exes. Men talk less, they often stay quiet and go for a grumpy stare. Some fathers-in-law can be excessive protective with their daughters, but they tend to scold their children for their bad choices and not defend them. But again, men are just quiet most of the time.
I agree with you - men do handle situations differently. From what the lady hinted - it was hell living with her husband and mother-in-law.
Is this a true story that is happening or happened? The wife has every right! Apparently the mother didn't know how to raise then son of hers!
It is true. I heard it on a call-in-radio show last night. The wife was telling the host about the problems she faced when living with her husband - now ex - and his mother in the states.
@Kandae11 Good to hear she got out of the relationship. I would have also. Although there is always two sides of the story, but for the husband to sneak home of course, it is the wife's request to know!
@infatuatedbby She was probably right to get out, because it seems there was a lot else that went on which she didn't say on the air.
Anagram of mother in law is woman Hitler. What more can I say? (lol) I had a great mother in law who was quite understanding. My husband loved her and I loved her too.
My mother -in-law was very nice, but shouldn't she have warned me about the mistake I was making in marrying her evil son.
@Kandae11 She must have. Just go back and reminisce a bit. I am sure you will find she was throwing hints
@allknowing Oh no, not a hint was thrown my way. Maybe if I wasn't so infatuated at the time I might have wondered why she took the time to fly all the way from the States to my home country to meet me - and she couldn't stay for the wedding . Later on I realized that she probably wanted to see for herself which 'silly' woman had agreed to marry her son.
I'm sure these things happen, but fortunately never knew anyone in this situation. My mother-in-law and I had a wonderful relationship while she was alive, and I have a wonderful one with my daughter-in-law and son's fiancée.
There are many wonderful mothers-in-law around.
@Kandae11 And some that aren't. The stories I've heard!!!!
@DianneN Ha ha - movies have been made.
My mother-in-law hated me, as for my father-in-law, he wanted nothing to do with me, and didn't want me in his house.
Some husbands follow wherever the wife leads, while others would do the right thing. A mother-in-law might hate her daughter- in -law , but the father-in-law might be the opposite - in your case they were both hateful. How did your husband see this?
@Kandae11 He was a mama's boy.
@Lucky15 (33382)
I am not yet married
But you plan to be someday.
@Lucky15 (33382)
@Kandae11 Oh yes. Now, have to look for boyfriend first,haha
@velvet53 (16623)
• Palisade, Colorado
I know some families that are like that. I was fortunate to have good MIL's and we remained friends even after I divorced their sons.
There are good ones out there.
@velvet53 (16623)
• Palisade, Colorado
@Kandae11 Yes there is. I try to be a good MIL to my DIL's.
@dgobucks226 (12201)
Sadly, I have heard of this behavior from Mothers/Fathers of their adult children. They can do no wrong. It comes from a protectiveness for their children. Logic and reason go right out the window and out the door! and that's where the husband should have been told to go
What I gathered from the woman's story is that much worse had happened before and they are no longer together.
@dgobucks226 (12201)
@Kandae11 An appropriate ending! You don't hit and there is no excuse his mother or the husband can say to condone it!
@jobelbojel (7179)
Not very nice. I don't know any store but have seen scenes on TV drama.
And movies.
@MsBooklover (3912)
I do not have a mother-in-law, but I have heard of this type. Maybe men try to keep out of such issues.
Yes, you have the nice ones and those who are not too nice.
@Tracy04 (10877)
Some parents tend to protect their own children.
They do - no matter what.
Some mothers seem to think that their sons are gods even when they are nothing but scum. I wouldn't have taken that from my boyfriend either. He wouldn't dare raise his hand to me, heck he doesn't even raise his voice at me. I am not a dog and won't be treated like one by someone who claims to love me. Jacob's mother loves me and she is glad I am in his life and got him on a better path than he was on. She would never act that. If her son came in late like that she'd want to know where he was too and she would jump down his throat if he was out doing something he shouldn't have been doing. If he even spoke to me like that and hit me his mother would knock him out faster than I would. She knows she didn't raise her son to be that way and his father doesn't treat her that way so her son isn't going to treat any girls that way either. Heck if she stepped in like that defending her son then I would probably swing on her too and she better hope that my mother isn't anywhere near by and the husband better hope my dad/brothers aren't around either. Sadly in this situation, the husband has probably since his father hit his mother like that and they both think that is normal.
Some mothers raise their children right and some don't. When that happens, then some unfortunate woman or man pays the price. The lady in the story got tired of fighting and left the marriage. It is also best for married couples to start married life in their own home.
That is a really bad mother in law and that woman should get rid of the both of them, the cheater and his mother.
She did eventually . I suppose they are keeping each other company because the next woman he chooses might not last long in that house either.
My Ex Mother in law was a horror which played a huge part in my ex being my ex
Yes, they can play a huge part in the demise of a marriage.
That is terrible. I am lucky because I have a good relationship with my mother-in-law. I think if you treat others good, others will also treat you well in return. Besides, we all care about the same person and therefore we shall be friends rather than enemy. We are a family. If one day I will be a mother-in-law, I will also adore my daughter-in-law. I love my son and I shall also love my daughter-in-law because this is his choice. I want them to be happy. I can't take care of my son forever. One day I will be gone and I have to count on my sister-in-law to take care him
If my son makes a good choice and marries someone who cares about him I will be a happy mother-in-law. As you say - we won't be around forever.
@Sreekala (22957)
That is not the right way to handle the situation by mother in law. She must stood for the right side. I don't appreciate the mothers who stood for own children forgetting the right side.
Her dear son is an angel in her sight,
When I was married she lived in another state but we got along just fine. No psychical abuse in that relationship ever,
That is good to hear.
• Eugene, Oregon
I once had a mother in law who was dumber than a stump, she and that wife are long gone now. Anne's mother is deceased, but sounds like a really nice woman.
Thankfully, they are not all the same.