What do the weatherpeople mean when using different terms for hot weather?

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I have noticed various my lotters saying how hot the weather is in their area of the world. I listen to talk radio a lot and TV weather a lot too and have noticed that different weather people, and the same people on diffent days of the week the weather guy may use different terms to describe the heat. But it is not always clear what exactly the weather feels like with the following terms: Hot Humid Muggy sticky scorcher what exactly will it feel like if it is a muggy day instead of a hot or humid day? What do these terms mean to you? Do you ever hear these weather terms?
Hot-high temps Humid-the same as muggy and sticky Scorcher- incredibly high temps Probably not what the forecasters mean, but works for me.
Yes, they work for me, too. I think when the weather is HOT that is all one needs to say as the rest of the words are confusing!
All those words to describe the hot and sticky temperatures work for me also.
@marlina I am with you on this one!
@dragon54u (31608)
I rarely hear "scorcher" anymore. Mostly, here in Arizona, the weather people say it will be "warm" when the temps hit over 100. It infuriates me. And that's because hot weather makes me uncomfortable and angry as I suffer through it. 115 is warm?! What planet are they from?! Another thing that makes me angry about living here is that rain, a true blessing, is looked upon as almost catastrophic. The weather people will say that tomorrow will be ruined by rain but don't worry, the beautiful weather will be back the next day. Beautiful weather, really?! Day after horrid day of endless damned sunshine and blue skies without a trace of a cloud, weeks of soul sucking heat without a breath of a breeze and they think that is beautiful?!! If not for my grandchildren I would move in a heartbeat. What a horrible place this is and what idiots the weather people are. I remember watching a weather forecast in Ohio and the guy said, "Folks, it's gonna suck tomorrow with a lot of ice and snow but hey, it's winter." Honest and straightforward. And we had 4 seasons to enjoy.
I was always told Arizona doesn't feel as bad as our heat as it is a dry heat?? But to me, 115 is 115 and hot no matter how dry it is? Our weather people in Pittsburgh say the truth about the weather, too. I never believed it was not as bad because of it being dry. I hope you get some cooler temperatures. I think it is nice you stay for your grandchildren. It must be hard going through summer. But if your grandchildren ever leave the area perhaps you too can move along with them?
@dragon54u Thank you for the photo! It is very cute! I can see how you are stuck. But maybe when they grow up themselves as I assume they are still young if they go where their moms live?
lol jhere in Calif ilts hot and humid and ugh ugh ugh ugh and Augustwilk be the 90s ugh ughg ugh
• Portland, Connecticut
Muggy to me is the combination of heat and humidity and it is what we are having today
That makes sense of what muggy is/ I looked muggy up, and it said in different terms that it means humid. Not much difference in that definition? I am having the same weather as you here now. i think most of the country is experiencing it? Soon we will be complaining how cold it is, and we have too much snow!
;here in gard en grove ca too muggy hot+
Yes muggy is humid to you..and heavy. So is sticky the same. Scorcher and hot is just dang boiling to me I hate it all.
I agree I don't like it either as it makes it so hard to leave the house. I hope your weather cools some soon.
I hear them all - but my main word is simply hot.
My word too! I use that too. It is how it got me to realize here that weather people were using different terms. Going to put on the weather channel later as I want to see how they deal with it as they are more professional.
To me, muggy, humid, and sticky are all the same. Hot and scorcher are the same to me, too, but with less humidity (moisture) in the air. I like it hot!
Makes sense I never thought about that hot sand scorcher have less humidity. It is muggy here then today! It is a goods thing for an air conditioner, but it is on 73 and Marty, and i are freezing but am afraid to put it on 74 as it would be too hot! Glad you like the hot! Do you ever find it too hot that you wished for snow?
@Marty1 I like it hot outside only. My house is freezing cold with the a/c on. Sometimes I put the gas fireplace on to warm Doodles and me up. lol I NEVER wish for snow!
@DianneN Oh that is right as you go to Florida to get out of the cold!! I wish for a blizzard as i usually do each year! Yes, my house is freezing have on a sweat-shirt today! I would put on fire if I had one as Marty is cold i think as he as his bedding all over him on top of him! We both agreed 74 would be too warm. What temperature do your keep in your house?
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
To me "Hot" means high temperatures and dry air. "Humid" means average for the season temperatures with a high percentage of water content in the air. "Muggy" is a combination of the first two, high temperatures with lots of humidity. "Sticky" is "Muggy" on steroids. A "Scorcher" usually means well above normal summer high temperatures. What we get a lot of here in eastern NC, and most places along the eastern US coast in summer is "Triple H Days" when it is Hazy, Hot, and Humid with a good chance of afternoon thunderstorms.
I don't live close enough to the coast in my area of Pennsylvania and have not heard of Triple H days. I think it sounds like bad weather to have, It is very hot humid here and we are expecting thunderstorms in some parts of the area today, and they should be heavy. So i am hoping that we bypass the thunderstorms and get some cold days! I will probably be back in winter asking about terms!
Muggy is related to humid, as is sticky. It's the same thing. Living in Oklahoma I'm familiar with the humidity, and of course a scorcher. But scorcher doesn't have to relate to humid, muggy, or sticky. I probably didn't help.
Oh, you did! I wasn't aware that scorcher isn't the same I thought it was the same humid, muggy or sticky Thanks for clearing that up for me!
Well, there are differences. Hot and scorcher belong into the same drawer. I'd say that scorcher is more than hot by some degrees and near to unbearable. Humid and muggy mean that there is added humidity - as the term humid clearly says. Humid is correct, written English, muggy more colloquial. Sticky is more or less the same but describes more the feeling a human being has in such a weather condition. Whatever. All these terms are horrible from my point of view. I live in central Europe and am used go and prefer a temperate climate.
I assumed that all weather people used terms like muggy I wasn't aware it was colloquial. Thanks for telling me that humid is the proper term. I think they should stick to the proper terms and not confuse is by all these other terms. It gets confusing when I hear all those othe things when all they want to say is it is going to be extremnely hot. I prefer temperate temperatures, also I prefer April and May when it is normal temepratures. This past April we had snow which is very unusual in my area so that wasn't nice.
Around here our GREAT weather guy Mark Johnson uses the term 'muggly or soupy' for the very hot n humid days we have been having and those terms are so appropriate !
I don't know what he means by soupy? That term I have more never heard before for weather? Can't even imagine what it means??
@Marty1 thick oppressive sluggish type weather that has moisture all through it but hot, hot, hot !
@enlightenedpsych2 That does not sound like a good time when that weather comes to your area. I hope it is cooler but suspect since you live so close that it will be hot where you live, too. I am battling the air conditioning more than the heat as i cannot get it at the right temperature, so I don't have to put on sweatshirts and quilts when i go to bed!! and even during the day, i am freezing!
@dollaboy (6245)
All are same and means Intense Heat and hot weather
That is what I have come to a conclusion they mean! Why not just all have a common word everybody uses!
@dollaboy (6245)
@Marty1 I think they wanna present that differently
@dollaboy Maybe there is a contest to see who can use the most descriptive word for hot! lol!
@Neiltarquin (1094)
• Rass, Saudi Arabia
Before the only thing I know was humid because that is the usual term that we used when it's hot. Now thanks for the new word. Scorcher is really the exact word for summer heat here in Saudi...
How hot does it get in Saud Arabia in the summer? I can imagine it would get very hot. I like the word scorcher it has described the weather here perfectly this summer! I did hear that the year 2017 is the second hottest weather year since the records have been kept on weather I believe in 1888 it started to keep them. Sad when it is only seven months in the year! Haven't heard scorcher too often but remember it from past forecasts!
• Rass, Saudi Arabia
And that is normal here...
@Marty1 it's really hot... One time we reached 50°C
@Neiltarquin Yikes! That is hot! Where I live, we don't get that high thankfully!~
@moffittjc (41191)
• Gainesville, Florida
I think they just like to mix up their terminology each day in the hopes that viewers don't catch on to the fact that they are basically giving you the same exact report every day. They want to keep viewers and listeners hooked, so they have to come up with new and exciting ways to report the weather to you! haha That's my story and I'm sticking to it! lol
Tha actually is a good theory! I do think that in the summer they give the same weather forecast over and over and look a way to spice up the weather! i never thought of that!
@moffittjc (41191)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Marty1 I don't know how different it is in Pennsylvania, but here in Florida the forecast is the exact same every day: 50% chance of rain, hot and humid.
@moffittjc we have such diverse temperatures that they really only say weather to the season. If it is summer, it is muggy and humid! Last winter they had to change as it got up into the high 60's too many times to count! i heard on the weather channel to the year 2107 already is going down on second hottest temperatures in recorded history!
Muggy, sticky and humid are the same to me.
they sound the same to me, and i get confused with how they use them all and don't stick to one.
@Marty1 different weather channels different words, maybe?
@Courtlynn That is exactly what I think it is. Wonder what other terms they will use and which stations will use them??
I think of muggy as being intensely humid and sticky.
I think that sounds about right. Whatever it actually means I just do not like it! I can't get the air conditioning, so I am cool, but not freezing like the last two days in bed when I had to put on my quilt I was so freezing and could not sleep because of it!
@Marty1 Yes, even though mine is not set high one night before the heat wave, I fell asleep with it on, and almost froze myself.
@snowy22315 don;t shut mine off but do keep it at 73 degrees, and most people i know keep theirs at 68 degrees, and I still find it uncomfortable even at 73.I would freeze at 68. I have a runny nose from the coolness in the house. I can't shut it off as i have a precious to me hamstter, Marty, that i try not to make too warm as he is a long haired Syrian hamster and it might make him uncomfortable, and my life is making Marty happy! so i try to keep him feeling comfortable!
Muggy and Humid pretty much mean the same thing to me...hot enough to take your breath away Basically all these terms mean it's time for me to stay inside and enjoy the a/c
Me too! I am going out tomorrow though to get groceries at Wal Mart don't know what time though so it may be hot or evening cooler if we go then? I think they all sound like they mean the same to me sometimes, also!
@Marty1 early mornings or after the sun sets seems to be the best time to avoid the heat
@Marilynda1225 yes, have received early morning emails from my sister telling me if i plan on walking to the library that day to go in the morning when they open at 10 am. I am hoping it cools as I want to walk to the library next week!
Ialways thugh muggy mean sicky or humid sort of interchangeable'so to speaksicky is just an adjective for hoit and huynmuid and muggy
I think that is what it means, also. I just don't understand why they have to confuse us with different terms!
@Marty1 I agre totall
@Nawsheen (22942)
• Mauritius
Muggy for me actually means hot, steamy,sticky and humid. I always use the word boiling hot. lol
That is actually a good word for hot weather. I like the term boiling! That is what it feels like sometimes when it s so hot!
@suziecat7 (3399)
• Asheville, North Carolina
I think certain words form certain pictures in our minds. The weather people are trying to be creative with a limited vocabulary choice, I guess.
Exactly waht I think ! i told somebody else there might be a contest among weather people to see who can use the most creative descriptions lol!! So they use these adjectives to try to entice us to listen, and we do to see what they will use for the same day in and day out weather forecast
• Preston, England
remind me of this sketch from the Fast Show about the Spanish weather forecast for a country where it rarely changes from heatwave
"Meteorologikos mit Poula!"
How cute! It must have been scorching weather everywhere! LOL! Thank you for sharing it made my day!