A French delicacy from Arreau in the French Pyrenees

Bunbury, Australia
Some days ago, we toured through the Pyrenees. Once we’d descended Col de Aspin, we stopped in the small town of Arreau. It seemed that the town was pretty much deserted as it was Sunday but once we got out and walked we discovered several streets with many shops open for business. There was also a market area. We went into one shop to buy a baguette and some cold meat for our lunch. Towards the back of the shop was a long fireplace with a great bank of glowing red coals. On a spindle over the coats, a woman was cooking a local delicacy – a type of cake which ended up with spikes all over it. The spindle was about 2 to 3 metres long and once the ‘cake’ was done, sections were cut off and wrapped for sale. In front of the coal was a trough which contained a runny crepe-ike mixture. The woman used a long-handled ladle to spoon up the liquid and pour it randomly over the cake already cooking on the spindle. She very kindly gave us a piece to taste but there was way too much sugar in it for Vince’s health and I didn’t particularly like it. But we bought our baguette and cold meat there. Try as I might I can’t find the name of this delicacy. Perhaps a myLotter will be able to help me out.
@vandana7 (64995)
I am sure @topffer can help...he is thoroughbred Frenchman. The other person who would know about such things may be @pgntwo. Pgn knows a lot.
@pgntwo (21654)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Ah, such faith. Salzwedel, a place in Germany, bake "Baumkuchen" as described above. I have put a link to some pics and such on Pinterest.
Find and save ideas about Salzwedeler baumkuchen on Pinterest.
@vandana7 (64995)
@pgntwo ..At least say thank you for showing so much confidence in you.
@RasmaSandra has solved my problem but I'm sure others will know the answer as well.
Whatever the name happens to be, it sure does sound delightful to me!
It was great to watch it being made right in front of us and she was very willing to share information with us.
@pgntwo (21654)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
I have heard of this, but have not seen it made. I think I bought a large chunk of it at a market once, but I need to check - I was in Germany, not France. Found it : Salzwedeler-baumkuchen. (the German variety anyway)
Thanks for the link. That is definitely it.
@1creekgirl (10343)
I bet that was interesting. It couldn't have been too sweet for me, lol. I love reading about your journey, Judy.
It's surprising how often we stumble across something that we know nothing about, I'm glad you're enjoying my journey too.
Sounds interesting. I too don't like too much sugar. I think I found your cake. Take a look at the link.
A speciality of the Bigorre area - The gâteau à la broche is a traditional spit cake speciality of the Bigorre area. It is made by applying layer upon…
Thanks very much for the link. That is certainly it and I've since found a photo saying 'gateau a la broche'. I try to take photos of signs and information that might come in handy later,
Certainly sounds interesting and I'm sure it was unique to see the way the woman was cooking the cake. Too bad it was too sweet for both you and Vince.
Yes, it was great to see her ladling the batter over the cake with this huge ladle.
sounds most interestin', quite fascinatin' how such's cooked/baked? i see that some folks've been most helpful to find the name 'n such fer this 'cake'. i'm with ya, sweets 'n me jest don't get 'long.
It was a lovely big fire that they were cooking it on although it would throw out a lot of heat in summer.
Not me, I am learning from your trip.
I had no idea I knew so little!
@FayeHazel (18027)
Oh that looks tasty! But like you I am not a huge fan of sugary stuff.
Some of the cake type stuff is very sweet. But we have had a couple of nice meals out. Mostly we cook in the motor-home,
I would try that! I loved baguettes in France!
We keep telling people we've only come to France for the baguettes.
If it's sweet I doubt I'd like it either. Was the meat good?
The proscuitto was actually very salty. We found a powdered gravy and that is very salty too. Just different tastes I guess.
If I get hold of overly salty meats I usually heat it in water or a bland broth @JudyEv that way it cuts the salt a little. Sometimes I'll even use lemon, it'll do about the same thing.
@rebelann That's useful to know. Thanks for the tip.
It's called "gâteau à la broche" (spike cake) It is made pouring a liquid dough over a skewer on an open flame. It is made only in the French region of Aveyron. Here is the recipe if you are interested.
Le g?teau ? la broche est un g?teau cuit traditionnellement au feu de chemin?e, en versant une p?te liquide sur une broche. Il est produit dans de nombreuses r?gions d'Europe, en particulier dans les zones de montagne.
Thanks for the link. It certainly uses a lot of eggs.
@JudyEv The classic recipe calls for a dough called "quatre quarts" that means four quarters, the same weight of flour, butter, eggs and sugar.
@LadyDuck That's interesting too. I saw some in a E.Clerc's shop just today.
@valmnz (12758)
• New Zealand
How fascinating to see this being made.
She had this long-handled scraper and ladle and just kept pouring the batter over. I guess she'd need the long handles as it would have been pretty hot in front of such a fire. And I guess in the olden days (older than us I mean ) the spindle would have been turned by hand.
Interesting way to make a cake.