Guitar strings - recommendations please

@pitstop (5429)
I have a nice old acoustic guitar. I changed my strings about 6 months ago and used fender strings which were initially not that great but set into a nice tone after 2 weeks. I'm looking to replace them now. Any suggestions on what strings to buy?
@owlwings (39073)
• Cambridge, England
It very much depends on the make and type of guitar and on your personal preference for the weight of strings and the tone (bright or mellow) that you like. Fender are probably better known for their electric guitars rather than their acoustic guitars and, though I've never used Fender strings, I'd expect them to be on the bright side. I find that I tend to prefer Martin medium weight strings but that may be because they seem to suit my guitar and the tone and feel I like better than any others I've used. They are always rather too bright for my liking at first but settle in quickly and last longer than others I've used.
It really is a personal preference thing. I used Black Diamond extra-light electric strings on my acoustic for a bit just because they were easy on my fingers, but they broke fairly easy. There are so many different types that I couldn't say 'Here use these' unless I knew the person's particular playing style.
@pitstop (5429)
The fender too was very bright to start off but settled down. I have a set of d'Addario strings that I'll probably try next. I found them when unpacking some stuff!
@pitstop (5429)
@JolietJake good point. I think medium gauge suits my style most.
@peavey (16473)
I like Gibson strings, but it depends on your guitar and the way you play it. I use nylon strings and play just for myself, mostly gospel, country and so on.
@pitstop (5429)
Mine won't take nylon strings. I've heard of Gibson. In fact one of my old guitars was a Gibson. Unfortunately it broke and I had to discard it.