First Food Experiences – Eggplant

eggplant
Austin, Texas
It's great when you work at a job and the whole crew likes to go out for lunch together. At one of my old jobs, in the Accounting Department, our team consisted of about 10 people. Yeah. Back then we were just converting to computerized record keeping, so we needed that many people to prepare financial reports. At any rate, about once or twice a month, our boss would shut down the office for an hour or hour and a half, and let us all go out to lunch together. One day somebody suggested “Let's do Italian!” So we found this nice Italian restaurant and I thought to myself, I'm going to try something I've never tried. On the menu was Eggplant Parmigiana (or eggplant parmesan). That's what I ordered and I was not disappointed. The lunch was fantastic! These days, I'm on the hunt for more eggplant recipes and different ways to eat this purple veggie. Eating more purple vegetable is all of a sudden a nutrition trend. [i]Everybody's supposed to be adding purple veggies to their diet. They say "purple is the 'new green'". (Whatever! I'm not giving up my green leafy veggies. The purple veggie is just going to have to share the plate with my kale, collards and cabbage. ) OK. Getting to the real point of this discussion. There are lots of recipes for cooked eggplant. But another nutrition trend is aimed at getting people to eat more raw foods. (UUUGGG!! Don't these expert nutritionists have anything better to do than tell me how to eat right!! :) ) This question is actually inspired by Michael Franks, a smooth jazz vocalist, who sings this romantic song about how his baby cooks her “eggplant”. :D One of the lines in this song says that sometimes he has his eggplant raw with mayonnaise. Yes! I know the song is suggestive and it's not really talking about an eggplant! But I'm curious. Have you ever eaten raw eggplant? If so, how did you prepare it? If you have a eggplant recipe that's to die for, please share.
Love to watch cooking shows on TV. One of my favorite TV chefs is Nigella Lawson (nigella.com). She taught me what an aubergine was. Aubergine?? Oh! You mean eggplant!! :)On the hunt for eggplant recipes.Shared a few recipes via my foodie blog for roasted
• Richfield, Utah
So what does eggplant taste like anyway? I've wanted to try, but they are on the expensive side here, too
• Austin, Texas
To be honest, for a veggie, I thought the taste was kind of "meaty". But it could be that I remember the gooey melted cheese the egg plant was covered with.
• Richfield, Utah
@cmoneyspinner hmmm, I may have to give this one a try when they do go on sale.....
No I have not. eggplants are easy. I make many dishes and even created my own with eggplant.
• Lakewood, Colorado
No I have not ever eaten it raw Moneyspinner. I do love the eggplant Parmesan with a passion though. Do you grow them? They are a tad bit expensive here.
• Austin, Texas
They do cost a little more than what I normally spend, but I would be willing to eat them once in a while if I could convince to try them. He likes zucchini. So I have to convince my kids to try them.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@cmoneyspinner I hope they will Moneyspinner so you can have some
@AkoPinay (9911)
We have so many ways to cook eggplant. You can find more here:
Adobong Talong is a vegetable dish made with eggplants cooked adobo-style
• Austin, Texas
Adobo style? Need to learn more about this cooking technique. Thanks for another recipe. I share recipes practically everywhere with other foodies and food lovers like me around the web.
@AkoPinay (9911)
I love fried eggplant (breaded or not) dip in soy sauce with lemon and chili too
Panlasang PinoyA family Cooking Food Blog that features tried and tested Filipino and Asian Recipes for the home cook. It also features information on Culinary Arts, Diet and Weight Loss, and Healthy Foods. RECIPESVideo GalleryCategoriesCooking SchoolsCuli
• Austin, Texas
That sounds mouthwatering. Thanks for sharing.
@prashu228 (18848)
We make varieties of Curries with egg plant, but not raw.
• Austin, Texas
OK! So I'm starting think raw eggplant is probably not too good. I remember the TV chef Lidia Bastianich saying to soak them in salted water because they can be bitter. When you do a curry dish do you soak the eggplant first? My husband loves curry! Maybe I can get him to try eggplant that way.
I have never eaten raw eggplant, unless a restaurant slipped it into a salad I ordered. I do not think I could even recognize pieces of raw eggplant. I have never cooked anything with eggplant. I have never purchased eggplant, I suppose because my mother never cooked with it.
• Austin, Texas
My mother never cooked with eggplant either. That's why my first experience was at an Italian restaurant. Some veggies were completely unknown in my childhood home.
Never tasted raw eggplant. But I love the Eggplant Parmigiana
@SHOHANA (6692)
• Bangladesh
we use eggplant as curry and we eat this in the lunch
Haven't eaten raw eggplant. I doubt if I will. I have eaten it grilled, boiled, and fried.
@AkoPinay (9911)
I love eggplant omelet with crab meat too
Tortang Talong is a Filipino term that refer to eggplant omelet. This video shows how to make eggplant omelet with crabmeat one step at a time. It starts by ...
@AkoPinay (9911)
This is my favorite eggplant salad
There are only few salad dishes in Philippine cuisine, and out of those, my favorite is this roasted eggplant salad. It has the right balance of flavor and texture– not too sour, salty, or sw…
@AkoPinay (9911)
Eggplant is a common veggie in the Philippines but we haven't eat it raw. We have eggplant salad but it is boiled, steamed or grilled first.
If you want a new way to serve eggplant, try ensaladang talong. It's a Filipino eggplant salad that's often served with beef soup or grilled dishes.