Top 3 Sports Inventions Which Impacted Our Leisure Activities

By DB
I was reminising about sports I used to play growing up and these three inventions really had a big influence on making my leisure time that much better. See if you agree with my choices and reasons for these inventions being so important. 1. The "Frisbee"- From toy to sport to professional teams this invention started way back in 1948, when the first plastic disc were produced and thrown, to modern day with frisbee "sports" such as freestyle, disc golf and ultimate frisbee. The disc was inducted into the National Toy Hall of Fame in 1998. Need I say more? Well just a few more facts, Wham O coined the trademark name "frisbee" in 1957. And a group of teens from New Jersey invented the game "Ultimate Frisbee" in 1967, a game still played today. 2. "Wiffle" Ball - 8 holes on the side of a plastic ball revolutionized a leisure time sport. In 1953, David N. Mullany designed a ball that can curve when you throw it, thus making a lot of kids happy including me. Many games of summer "wiffle" ball occupied my time as a youngster. We created a neighborhood league, imitated the batting stances of our favorite players, and strived to hit that home run across the street onto our neighbor's front lawn. Here are a few fun facts about the "wiffle ball." It got it's name from the inventor's son who called a strikeout a "wiff." "Wiffle" ball became popularized in the 60's and was played in backyards, on streets, and even on beaches. In 1980 The World Wiffle Ball Championships began is is considered the oldest sanctioned tournament. 3. "Nerf" Ball Products- This foam based product was created by Parker Brothers and released in the 1970's. The foam design was used for footballs, basketballs, and baseballs. One unique aspect of these "Nerf" balls was the bright colors schemes featured. The "Nerf" was touted as the "worlds first official indoor ball." Fun fact, the name "Nerf" was a slang term for the foam padding used in off-road-racing and adapted as a marketing term. Honorable Mention- Pink Rubber Superball - This invention dates to 1949 or even earlier according to Wikipedia. I used this type ball to play Stoop ball or "pinners," as it was called in Chicago, where it may have originated. You play the game like baseball with the objective being to hit the angled part of the step to make the ball go airborne. The solid pink ball bouced really well off the stoop's steps and was easy to field as well. Spent many a youthful summers playing this game. Maybe you did to? Hoping this brings back some pleasant summer memories for those of you who enjoy playing sports. Source information- Wikipedia Photo- Amazon.com
I must be getting really old. Of those you've mentioned I only know of the frisbee and, in particular, I love to see dogs playing with them.
Frisbee will always be popular. That's why I rated it # 1. The longevity of that disc is amazing as kids still fling it around today.
when my son was small.He loved it.Every time we hit the beach as he gather friends to play whiffle ball. I have never played till later.
A game that remains popular. I see kids play on the beach with their Dad's pitching all the time. A great way (and safe) to introduce baseball to a youngster
@dgobucks226 yes your right.He did play baseball and in the little league.
• Lakewood, Colorado
You are so right, these 3 items surely did give joy to a lot of kids including me.
Those were the days, hours of fun and games
Played with them all! Such fun!!!
Weren't they though! Totally agree We played ultimate Frisbee in PEclass, great fun!
I spent entirely too much time playing with Nerf products.
A Nerfaholic eh? Nerf football games great memories.
@dgobucks226 - I also had a Nerf hoop in my room.
@teamfreak16 Me too. Loved to dunk Of course it did not happen very often. I was playing against my older brother Good memories-we had some battles as my Mom would yell, "what's all the noise upstairs."
@sol_cee (13228)
• Japan
You gotta show some pictures. I seem to only know frisbee. :)
Here is a photo
Here is a photo of a ball used to hit off the stoop. You are familiar with a Frisbee.
I never played with any of those. You could add the hula hoop to the list.
So sad to hear. You missed out on some fun activities Of course, that's just my opinion and I'm sure you did other leisure activities, sports and games in your youth that were just as much fun. So, it's all good