Living with an illness

One year ago I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. Each day is a struggle. Before removing my polyps, I was having such bad episodes that I would pass out in pain on my kitchen floor as my two year old stood over me watching. I feared I was unable to care for my children. I spent hours in the bathroom sweating in pain unable to help myself. Since having them removed, I do feel better. The episodes have calmed down but each day is still filled with discomfort as long as I eat. I can go two days without eating just so I don't risk getting sick and being unable to care for my kids. Depending on what I eat I pick my poison. I can go from nausea and acid burps to cramps, fever and excruciating pain. I can go to the bathroom every 2 minutes or not go for days. Trying to make my partner understand how crappy I feel (pun intended), is a whole other struggle. Trying to have a sex life, don't get me started. Whether it is IBS, IBD, Crohn's or Colitis, there is a never ending draining feeling when it comes to food. Worst part is I LOVE FOOD! Sometimes i am my own worst enemy. I know my illness has no cure, with my families history of Crohn's, I don't see a future of getting anything but worse. How does one deal with the harsh reality of their future, when after just one year it's already so painful mentally and physically. We all have our struggles, mental illness and physical illness. What is yours and how do you cope with it? I'm not talking medication here people! Medication can make you feel worse in many circumstances. I'd like to know what your personal outlets are to help you get through these horrible illnesses that you cannot help.
@Nawsheen (22844)
• Mauritius
My mom suffers from colitis. She is on a strict diet (paleo diet) and achieved remission after following the diet for nearly one and half years. My mom is allergic to milk and dairy products
I've been on a strict diet too, I don't always follow it though, like I said, I'm my own worst enemy. I would love to go into remission, great for your mom! I wish her the absolute best in staying that way!
@joehue (112)
• Rabat, Morocco
I have so many health issues that I don't even go to the doctor, my solution is to find a project, bigger then myself or any other consideration, ever asked why scientist and artists in the time of crisis never care and keep on working, being busy with something big make our problems seem small, this is what worked for me, my apologies if I've said something wrong.
No nothing wrong at all, unfortunately some days I can't jump into an activity when I'm stuck like a fetus sweating over the toilet haha perhaps TMI. If it wasn't physically crippling at times I'd pick up my guitar and jam it all away. Best option I can come up with there is sleep
@joehue (112)
• Rabat, Morocco
@mamabear098 What a coincidence I'm a guitarist myself.
• Marion, Kansas
I have fibromyalgia and diabetes, but none like what you are struggling with. My mom had colitis of some form, but I suspect she also had fibro. Some digestive issues do go along with it for some people. I have found, for me, that working is better than not working. So I go back to work when school starts again. I SAY I would like to not work, but my job forces me into activity and to think about someone else. At the time my kids were little I was having some stomach issues, actually before they were born. Eventually they went away. I think that was from stress, but who knows. I hope you find something to soothe your gut, so you can be present for your little ones. I like essential oils, music, and being online for distractions as well.
I would love to work, it would make me feel useful. Even last week I spent the entire week in on and off sweats and pain. Nausea and ate probably 3 meals all week. Tiny tiny meals. I can be like that one week then the next perfectly fine. Working would make me feel great in a lot of ways. I'm on medication, all I can really do and stay as positive as can be. Always interesting to hear other people's stories though, we all have our battles. Thanks for sharing. :)
@Tracy04 (10627)
Sorry to hear this. May God bless you always.
@dollaboy (6272)
You need to feel good as you sounds a lot depressed which is root cause to much issues, Kirstie
Do the doctors give you ideas about things you can do to ease your condition?