I Am Going to Tell Your Mother

My husband and the pup are in Florida visiting family. I stay here due to my elderly dad, age 96. When pup and husband are not here, I do a whole-house clean. My husband's home office desk is rarely an item I clean since my husband's system of organization is mind-boggling to me. It is also a messy system, in my opinion. My moving anything on my husband's desk to a different spot would cause a mass of confusion for him. I did have the courage to enter his home office yesterday. I was after dust on that desk of his. I gingerly dusted any open spaces I could find without moving one thing on the desk. I thought what a great idea it would be to stand on a chair and dust the top of the hutch that is attached to the desk. Everything sitting on top of the hutch was covered in dust, lots and lots of dust, as was the surface of the top of the hutch! I dusted each unopened, but unique. liquor bottle given to my husband as a gift, a humidor containing cigars, a marathon trophy, his college fraternity jug, and a collage of photos from his retirement party. I did dust the O.S.H A. helmet he had to wear at the 9/11 site a week after the attacks to write news releases for the U.S. Department of Labor, and I also dusted each rock he was given from the 9/11 site. After my husband called to tell me that Molly and he arrived safely to Florida, I told on him. My husband's mother, a very sharp and spry 89-year-old, now knows her son is downright messy. I hope he is in big trouble now! She might even give him a little smack!
• Lakewood, Colorado
Omg you told? hahaha Deborah That is great though that he has that stuff in there and very admirable about 9/11.
@cacay1 (32078)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@TiarasOceanView, her husband keeps things very memorable seldom men do.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@cacay1 Yes he certainly does Erly, bless him.
9/11 broke his heart. He would break down when he called me. It was horrific to see all going on there.
It seems that he is in for trouble.
Yes, a mom has a lot of power over a son.
@Corbin5 No matter what the age of him!
Your poor hubby! Mine is messily organised as well, but unlike you I do tidy it up into less messy organisation. Then he moans and groans, but I have to share the desk, so ... it's just part of the circle of our life!
I have so glad I do not share my husband's desk due to its cluttered and dusty state. I would go into city of Chicago and go to his lovely office, with a view of the lake, and it was a mess too. Not sure how he got anything done in there.
@acelawrites (10624)
You can dust-off the desk by moving and placing the items again on the same spot so it won't confuse him.
@cacay1 (32078)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@acelawrites, better not to hold those items what if so heavy, delicate.
Well, there are so many cords attached to electronics that my fear is that I will mess up some connection for which I would not know how to fix.
@cacay1 I wanted to clean his TV, printer and computer screen with electronic wipes, but all those cords would have me disconnecting something if the electronics shifted while cleaning..
@Lucky15 (33713)
I can not imagine what you husband's mom will do to him, hahaha
@cacay1 (32078)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Lucky15, let us wait sis for part 2 of this,lols.
Just a little smack would do, but I suggested she put him to work for her. He can wash all the windows, clean out the refrigerator, clean her ceiling fans and more. That will teach him!
@Lucky15 (33713)
My husband's office is neat as a pin. I clean it weekly, personally, but I won't tell you what is in there. That is the one room the cleaning lady is not allowed to enter.
Well, he said he would clean his home office and his bathroom when we moved into this smaller home. He makes feeble attempts, and I bring up the slack. I hope his mother talks some sense into him.
@Corbin5 If she hasn't by now, she never will. Men! Lol!
@cahaya1983 (8347)
I'm a messy person by nature too, I think Which is why I prefer a study desk without too many shelves or racks, easier to keep the mess within control, hehe.
Yes, my husband needs less storage areas. The more places he has to store or place things, the mess grows.
@sallypup (20821)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Wow you are energetic. Its past time for me to get to dusting cobwebs. I think cause its the dry time of the year, the spiders are going nuts on windows. I must get to that but climbing on stools is hard on my knees plus the stupid vertigo that seems to want to stay put.
I can still climb on ladders and stools, and I did paint one of the bedrooms while pup and husband are gone, and much more. However, the painting of the bedroom made me realize I am too darn old for that job.
I love telling on people to their elderly parents
Yes, it is fun to still tell a mom or a dad when their child has done wrong, no matter the child's age.
You're going to get that house spotless.
It is spotless now, but really tired. I did paint one of the bedrooms, and I have come to the conclusion I am too old to paint walls and ceilings.
@Platespinner (18095)
Maybe she'll scold him and he'll turn over a new leaf and start keeping things cleaner and tidier (we can all dream).
I hope she does have an impact on his messy ways. I will scold him too. With two women nagging him, some action on his part should result.
lol that's funny you told his mom.
I do delight in telling his mother when he has failed in some way.
Good one! My father used to clean the dust out of his own office, as he didn't trust me or my mother. Even if we just moved a pen 1 cm from its place, not only he would notice, he would start shouting about it too!
Your dad certainly wanted everything in place. Now, if my husband would dust, I would not touch a thing. I wonder if I messed everything up, he would dust his desk himself. It would take a lot of bravery to mess things up. Not sure I am that brave, yet.
@Corbin5 oh I wouldn't do that! Perhaps just dust more often and move just one thing from its place, just to annoy him enough to do it on his own.
@thehousewife Yes, you are right. I will follow your advice. He is a wonderful man, and there is no reason to upset him. Whew! You saved me!!!
@bunnybon7 (32569)
• Holiday, Florida
i am so laughing right now. your posts are always a joy. and you made me remember dusting and cleaning the "big guys" (big boss) office when i cleaned for executives offices at GM proving grounds. He was so picky, nothing could be moved and only now and then could they find someone he liked to clean. that was me for 2 yrs. i would pick something up in one hand and dust under with the other hand, then lay it (sometimes even paper stacks) right back down in the exact spot. never throw anything away that was not inside the garbage can already. i was on pins and needles every other day when i had to clean this one.
Oh, I clean my husband's desk the way you described cleaning the desk of the "big guy." I bet you were nervous when cleaning his desk!!!!
@bunnybon7 (32569)
• Holiday, Florida
@Corbin5 every time for 2 yrs. funny thing is he never spoke to any of the help. except one day he was really late going home so i could clean his office and my supervisor was a couple doors down the hall. as the big guy left he turned to me and said " finally i got it done. good night." and i said good night sir. my super was so surprised. said the man had never even spoken to him once in 4 yrs he had worked there. lol
@bunnybon7 You rocked that cleaning!!! My mother-in-law worked for the GM plant in Danville, IL, but that plant is gone now. Danville is a ghost town now.
@YrNemo (7625)
I hope your husband is not going to complain about the loss of his precious dust .
You know, maybe he was saving it for something, now that I think about it.
@YrNemo (7625)
@Corbin5 From what I found out recently after watching many spy TV series (the old ones from the 1960s), that each dot you found there on your husband's shelves, might have been a microdot, a reduced version of some important file, image or document... If they were really microdots and not dust, you may be in big trouble OK.
@YrNemo Oh, dear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
@nanette64 (13185)
• Fairfield, Texas
Tell dear hubby that if he ever has an asthma attack while in his office, he should know the cause @Corbin5 .
Well, all the dust I encountered would give anyone an asthma attack! I was gob smacked when I saw the amount of dust on top of that hutch.
@nanette64 (13185)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Corbin5 Next time: (hopefully while he's watching) Enter the room with a mask, gloves and a body suit. Come out after 2 minutes and pretend to be breathing hard and start coughing.
@nanette64 Genius, my friend!!!!
Mothers do have a way to make even their adult children squirm for their bad habits.
Yes, moms sure do have a lot of staying power when it comes to their kids.
@Corbin5 My kids have told me that some things I told them long in the past, are still with them today. It makes me happy.
I can't believe you told on him!
Yes, I often do. His mom is always on my side. We have known each other for 48 years and are best friends.
@Corbin5 It's awesome to have a relationship like that with her. =)
@LovingMyBabies She is so much fun. I really am fortunate, my friend.
Thats a lot of dusting.
I did not plan on all that work, but when I saw all the dust, it had to go. I did clean every inch of the entire house and paint one of the bedrooms. I am pooped!
@Corbin5 thats awesome! Way to go ! Get some rest now.
That doesn't soudn much like a loyal, loving wife!
Well, I did tell her, and she just laughed. He does wash all her windows, clean out her refrigerator, pulls weeds in her yard and whatever other tasks she is unable to do at her advanced age. She is a gem, and I love her so much. She always laughs when I tell on him.
@Corbin5 She does sound a gem - much better than a crabby old mother.