Growing Up, Moving On

college, school, growing up, jobs
Winston Salem, North Carolina
It’s been a season of milestones. My oldest child graduated from University and my youngest child celebrated her 16th birthday on the same day. In the weeks that have passed since then, my oldest child has moved to Germany and broken up with his girlfriend (and for some reason I was the only one that didn’t see THAT particular event happening). Other milestones have been flying past us. Child number two has finally decided that perhaps furthering his education might be a good idea and will be starting college classes in a couple of weeks (he attended orientation and registered for five classes this afternoon). Child number three has been fighting her way through a couple of difficult college classes. We thought getting them out of the way during the summer session was a good idea, we didn’t really stop to think that she would have to cover the same amount of work in half the time. It’s not been an easy summer for her, but she has been successful and she will transition from being a dual enrollment student to being a full-time college student as well in two weeks. The youngest child hasn’t been slacking either. I took her to the bank today to get an account set up and ready for direct deposit. The youngest of my children starts her first real job next week. Everyone tells you that they grow up fast...if yours are still little, hug them tight; it’s true, they really DO grow up fast. I love my all grown-up children, but I kind of miss my babies.
Your last paragraph says it all I think. So many don't seem able to learn from their elders but what you say is so true and needs to be repeated in the hope that some at least will slow down and not wish their, and their children's lives away waiting for them to 'grow up'. Love the photo. Here's Vince and I in outsize wellies.
I tried to enjoy each phase of life while we were in it, but there were days when I wasn't sure I would ever get to use the toilet by myself ever again.
@Platespinner Obviously there are some days when you wish kids would grow up just a bit quicker!
• Midland, Michigan
Those would be hard to clump around in I'm sure. I might fall trying to get in or out of them.
Words of great advise here. Your daughter looks so adorable in the picture-love it. Isn't your heart breaking with your son gone so far away, mine would be! I know that the time disappears, our son is getting married in a few weeks, and we received a wedding invitation for his cousin's wedding today, and the cousin is 2 years older and I remember holding him as a baby. Wasn't that just last week? It flies so quickly.
Thankfully modern technology is making it easy to keep in touch. We instant message through Facebook, and video-chat at least once a week as well, plus I am trying to write an old fashioned snail mail letter each week. His contract is only for 15 months...but he works in the one department where getting an extension of ones contract seems to be pretty easy. I'm trying to focus on our plans to go visit him next spring.
@Platespinner So he'll be back then? You like to journal, why don't you start one, using your latitude coordinates and as a family you can put some thoughts into it. And then after he's home you can all pour over it together. He could do the same.
Oh I know that saying all too well. With our granddaughter living with us I see how fast she has grown and it makes my head spin a bit.
The older we get the more time seems to fly, doesn't it?
@Platespinner makes me whine a bit!
@mandala100 (45858)
@Platespinner Yes you are right my friend. It seems only yesterday when I saw our new born baby but look she is turning 18 this coming November. How time really fly my friend.
It flies entirely too quickly!
@mandala100 (45858)
@Platespinner You are absolutely correct my friend.
• Midland, Michigan
Yep, from barely being born to heading off to college it seems to happen within a weeks time. My youngest moved out this spring and my oldest broke up with her boyfriend and moved back in. I like your daughter's shoes. I have big feet, but I'm glad to say they aren't quite that big, lol. Are those on display at her college?
Those "klompen" are part of a memorial in Goderich Ontario thanking Canadian servicemen for their part in the liberation of the Netherlands at the end of WWII.
My kids are still little (in comparison to yours) and we have some big milestones coming up. My youngest will turn 4 and start school in the next 5 weeks. My second turned 6 at the beginning of the month and will start grade one in September. My oldest is turning 12 and entering grade 7 all in the same month.
I guess what they say about things coming in threes must be correct .
@Morleyhunt (19806)
I told you so. It seems to last a long time....and suddenly they've grown. Now I'm watching the grandkids and find it hard to believe that some of them have reached adulthood.
I don't even want to think about your older grand children--I remember when their MOM was a baby....
I know what you mean. My son grew up way to fast.
@Elizaby (3684)
• Pensacola, Florida
The time does slip by real fast. Enjoy the the time now before they all leave the nest
You have every reason to be a proud momma! They do grow up fast. I still hug and kiss my boys even though one is married and provided me with two grandchildren. Even they are growing up quickly!
@YrNemo (13341)
I do miss the time when my kids were tiny... Life seemed to be very simple then.
You and your family have a lot going on right now. But it sounds like it will all work itself out.
Those milestones are awesome but I certainly understand how you feel about your babies all growing up. My 16 yr old granddaughter just got her driving permit yesterday and it boggles my mind I thought my children grew up fast but the grandchildren are even faster
@Nawsheen (23070)
• Mauritius
Yes you are right children do grow up really fast. Sometimes we miss those times when they were small and innocent.
@dollaboy (6225)
I'm happy that its going good for you and your family except some issues here and there. Wishing all of you best and happy times. Is the Girl in the pic your youngest daughter?
You are right, they grow and are gone in no time. Seems like all your children have a good head on their shoulders.
@PatZAnthony (12726)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It is amazing how fast the time just goes by, but people really can't always grasp that because they have little ones and think there is plenty of time for everything!
@cahaya1983 (10051)
You have a wonderful family. I hope your children will always continue to be successful and may you reach many more milestones together!
Congratulations! But they will always be your babies. Mine are 52 and 50 years old, and very successful people, but thet are still children when a big problem arises.