What helps you sleep?

Pleasant Hill, California
I have many friends and relatives (and some MyLot friends) who struggle with sleep. I've dealt with some depression and anxiety, especially after losing someone I love, but for some reason, sleep has rarely been affected. My body is a sleep machine. What are some of the things you've used to help you get to sleep? For me, the number one thing is tryptophan. Tryptophan is an amino acid found in dairy products, as well as chicken and turkey. It's converted by the body into serotonin and melatonin. Melatonin regulates our sleep cycle. One of my kid clients has anxiety, and melatonin pills, taken at bedtime, help him sleep. As a Scotch-loving fool, you'd think I'd use alcohol to help me sleep. I do drink most evenings, once my day is done, but I drink water, Gatorade, or milk before going to bed. Too much alcohol robs you of REM sleep, and REM (dream) sleep is when we process emotional issues and consolidate memories from the previous day. Occasionally, if I'm really restless, I'll take half of a Benadryl tablet. I have allergies, but I can't take Benadryl during the day, as it knocks me out. I don't know what hormones or neurotransmitters it affects. It's effective as a sleep aid, but it can make you feel a bit groggy the next morning. Finally, there's reading. I like to read in bed before I fall asleep. When I read a paragraph and realize I was actually thinking about something else, I know it's time to turn the light out. What helps you sleep? The photograph is of my friend Michael, rocking Los Angeles after our "big gig" there last Summer.
@nanette64 (11929)
• Fairfield, Texas
I wind up drinking coffee clear up til the time I go to bed @TheHorse . You'd think I'd be bouncing off the walls, wouldn't you? Nope. IF I am having trouble (rarely), I take some slow, deep breaths and 'mentally' say the word 'nothing' repeatedly as I exhale. Before you know it, I'm a gonner.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Like you, I can drink coffee late into the evening, and it doesn't affect my sleep. I wonder why some people are like that.
@LoriAMoore (12596)
You know what? I think coffee, even decaf, was part of what was hurting my stomach. I guess it's the acids. I haven't had any for 3 days and my stomach hasn't hurt. Go figure!
@nanette64 (11929)
• Fairfield, Texas
@TheHorse We're just special that's all.
Amazing post. I also do the same, milk with honey in the night and book reading. It helps a lot most days. One issue I have (actually I have plenty but... anyways) is I wake up more tired than before, even if I got my full 8 hours uninterrupted. I am guessing it's my hormones, because I also have other health symptoms as well. Combine that with raising and homeschooling my mildly special needs kids, and I already lost the will of waking up another day. It's been getting worse lately, and it adds to my depression and anxiety. Oh well, I guess I should just be grateful I still wake up every morning. Some days, it doesn't look like I am gonna make it.
• Richfield, Utah
I'm in the same boat with ya sista, it's hard raising my mild special needs sons some days. There's been times I have been up once a week just worrying about what the future brings for them. A future that I have no control over. All I can do with that is to just keep swimming!
@librarygeek1980 I am sorry to hear you are going through the same thing. Hang in there! Hopefully everything will turn out ok.
• Richfield, Utah
@thehousewife thanks , they will be. I tell myself, they've gotta grow up sometime! I'll cross that hurdle when we get there.
@CinnamonGrl (5448)
• Paradise, California
If I can't sleep, a diphenhydramine knocks me out. (Benadryl, but I don't pay for that, I buy the cheap stuff.) But I don't usually have sleep issues, fortunately.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I generally buy generic as well.
Occasionally I'll take a Polaramine tablet if I have itches from bites that I'm having a hard time ignoring. I find this knocks me out very nicely but I don't use it as a sleeping tablet although I'm tempted to.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Do you know if it has the same active ingredient (I'm too lazy to go into the bathroom right now and check) as our Benadryl? Banadryl is anti-itch too. They even recommend it for "mild" black widow bites.
@TheHorse I don't have any with me so I can't tell you. I'm sure I wouldn't be too lazy to go look - (not half!) We have Benadryl in Oz too. I used to give it to the boys but I think it was a cough syrup,
• Marion, Kansas
@TheHorse Here you go:" Dexchlorpheniramine (trade name Polaramine) is an antihistamine with anticholinergic properties used to treat allergic conditions such as hay fever or urticaria. It is the pharmacologically active dextrorotatory isomer of chlorpheniramine. " from Wikipedia. Benadryl is diphenhydramine. In the US some OTC antihistamine and cold meds have chlorpheniramine. I am pretty sure Sudafed does. I am too lazy to look it up online.
@hereandthere (20867)
love the kiddies and the red car
• Pleasant Hill, California
I got his grandkids to sit behind him and giggle. They had fun with it.
@TheHorse i wouldn't mind sleeping there either!
• Pleasant Hill, California
@hereandthere It's a really nice house. My friend's daughter and her husband are really good folks.
I have no trouble falling asleep. It's the staying asleep or not waking up early that is the problem.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I seem to wake u early even if I don't have to. But that's OK with me.
I fall asleep easily while watching stupic reruns on TV.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Too many reruns might do it for me too. I don't watch much TV.
That's the best picture!! Usually I don't have trouble falling asleep but problem is staying asleep when I get up a million times a night (exaggeration) to use the bathroom.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Occasionally I stumble into the bathroom at 4 AM, but I'm usually back to me dreamy dreams within a few minutes. Heh, I have to post that picture to Facebook with the heading Michael Rocks LA!
I drink milk if we have it. I also listen to music or watch some documentary on tv . I am a night person so it is difficult to go to sleep when I am retired and enjoy being up at night. I used to read but with my cataract I can't any longer. I take melatonin or some other sleep aid when I need to.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Does melatonin work for you? It apparently does for my kid.
@TheHorse ......Usually it does. There have been a few times it hasn't.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@celticeagle I feel like milk or ice cream works for me. But maybe it's placebo effect. I don't actually know how long it takes for tryptophan to be converted into melatonin.
Michael looks very comfy! I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow. I climb into bed the same time most nights, watch a little comedy, laugh, and conk out. lol
• Pleasant Hill, California
Sounds good to me. I wonder if my former English teachers would recoil in horror at the fact that reading puts me to sleep. Heh.
@TheHorse Lol! It probably puts them to sleep, too.
@vandana7 (55308)
I walk. Seriously...I don't really suffer with sleeplessness. But when it is too hot, (and I hate doors being closed..so AC stifles me..so I walk then my legs tire and then I go to sleep..or I try to do some work ironically if I work, I feel sleepy. I come to myLot when I feel drowsy, feel awake again and then return to what I was doing. Sometimes, I just give in when I feel too drowsy...but you know that.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yep. Me too. Sometimes Im still at my computer and suddenly go "I'm done." I'm asleep within a few minutes.
@dodo19 (26651)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I don't often have problems falling asleep or anything like that. But if I do, I may drink a glass of milk, read a little, or something like that.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Milk is good. Sometimes I still fall asleep with my guitar in my arms.
I dont take anything to get to sleep or stay asleep for a few hours. Just go to bed whenever i do
I'm blessed to almost always naturally get a good nights sleep
@Genipher (4795)
I only have problems sleeping when my anxiety hits. When that happens, I take a tincture of Valerian.
• Marion, Kansas
Different things help me at different times. Getting off the computer helps. Then it is a good time to read.Dealing with unacknowledged pain by taking either acetaminophen or naproxen.( I know I have pain when I grind my teeth or walk around with hunched up shoulders. It does not seem to process as pain.) I will take melatonin on occasion, but it gives me very vivid dreams and someone said if you take it all the time your body ceases to produce it. I can take a whole benadryl or even two. People need to watch out cause sometimes it backfires and makes them feel wired. I put calming essential oils on my pillow, like lavender. Take a warm shower. I do not always have milk. I am supposed to eat a small high protein snack, so I will eat cheese, sometimes.
• Portland, Connecticut
I rarely if ever have problems falling asleep but when I do, I ibuprofen does the trick for me. I am a great sleeper.
Looks like he doesn't have any trouble sleeping. When I need to get to sleep, I start working on a book. I don't get very far with it when I'm asleep. By working on a book I mean thinking about what to write.
@mandala100 (23485)
@TheHorse If I find it hard to sleep I listen to some soothing and relaxing music my friend. But usually I fall to sleep easily.
Some white noise helps me sleep. Sounds of nature as well.