The water main broke a block from our house effecting the entire block.

Dallas, Texas
My wife had me check the gas water heater. It was making clicking sounds. I had to check to see what the problem was. I had no idea what that ticking sound was caused by. I went to the kitchen sink to see if we got hot water and nothing came out. Both hot and cold water failed to stream. All the water in the house was shut off. I went next door and asked our neighbor and he came to the door as I spoke to the City of Dallas 311 operator to report the water was out. My neighbor said his water was also off and he saw that there was water pouring out from the street a block down the road. City Water Utilities personnel were working at the site where an underground water main had burst. There was a backhoe also in that location. I went door to door along our block and 2 other neighbors also checked and said their water was turned off. I told them I would be called back to get the update on the water main situation. Glad it wasn't an underground pipe burst on our property. I was relieved for that and I went next door to my other neighbor, who is Hispanic and does not speak English. He did not come to the door. I went to the side door entrance and knocked and still he did not answer. I became concerned because he normally has air conditioning but for some reason he had his windows open to the house and for some reason there was no answer at the door. He is elderly and only speaks Spanish. I asked the 311 operator what I should do to have our neighbor checked out just to see that he was okay. The heat was about 102 today. No AC in the home of our next door neighbor. The police were dispatched and came to our house to ask if we needed them to go over and see if they could get our Spanish speaking neighbor to the door to make sure he was okay. The police officer was happy that we even bothered to do this. He was pleased by it. He told me he would return to let me know the condition of our neighbor. I am still waiting for him back to tell us he is okay but still waiting. I will update the condition of our next door neighbor when I get more information. Probably he got mad because maybe it is possible he was sleeping or eating a meal and was interrupted and did not want to answer the front door. I hope that is all there was to this. It is my main concern that elderly people, living alone, without any form of air conditioning are subject to dangerous exposure to the Texas summer heat. All I want to do is be a good neighbor for those in my area. Update: The officer came to our door and told me our neighbor was alright and that he expressed his appreciation for his concerned neighbors. He was asleep when the policeman tried to get him to the door, and the officer had to go around the house to the back window to get him to wake up and come to the door. He Hispanic and doesn't speak English and also is almost deaf in one ear and is hard of hearing in the other ear. Living alone and being elderly and not having air conditioning could really be a bad thing in his case. The officer said good night to me and went on his way. I told my wife everything was okay. The officer did say it would not hurt to check out resources for the man next door about getting him some kind of fan or air conditioner window unit for his home so tomorrow I will attempt to contact some people about this. I will be doing this for a little time and hope I can come up with solutions for our neighbor.
@vsai2008 (9857)
You did great When will the problem get sorted?
• Dallas, Texas
Within the next hour, the water came back on and the police made sure our neighbor was okay. He was just asleep. He will need some assistance to keep cool this summer so I will look into some type of help for him tomorrow.
@vsai2008 (9857)
@lookatdesktop That's nice to hear I hope you find the help soon tomorrow Stay hydrated :)
• Dallas, Texas
@vsai2008 , I will do that. I will carry extra water and ice with me and my wife this morning as we return books and videos to the local public library. Even at 9:30 AM the outside temperature is in the mid to upper 80s.
@1hopefulman (32447)
We all need to be concerned about our neighbors. I hope he is well.
• Dallas, Texas
Yep. I got good news. The bilingual officer paid him a visit and he was fine. He had gone to sleep early and had no idea the water was off nor did he realize he might be in danger from the heat. I think he needs some help and I will try to give him some help tomorrow by contacting some kind of organization that helps the elderly who are low income and living alone and have insufficient means to keep cool in the summer here in Dallas. Wish me luck.
@1hopefulman (32447)
@lookatdesktop I wish you success!
• Dallas, Texas
@1hopefulman , He has a son and grandchildren. Hopefully one of his relatives will visit him and realize he needs some kind of help. I will continue to try to get information for him.
You are a kind hearted and helpful person.I can't imagine how the elderly managed to sleep without neither fan nor air conditioner at the temperature of 102.Hope they have put the broken water main to rights !
• Dallas, Texas
I would find it difficult even at my age. The thing is, the temperature actually got up to as high as 104 degrees for a brief time in parts of Dallas. This is not record heat even though the highs for the next 10 days are supposed to be below the average at under the century mark. But even so, the highs are high enough to do real harm.
@lookatdesktop In the case of your next door neighbor,he is prone to suffer heatstroke.Over here we are in the hottest days of the year with temperature reaching a maximum of 40C.
• Dallas, Texas
@changjiangzhibin89 That would be 104 degrees fahrenheit . Notice that that word is red underlined. Even though it is correctly spelled. I get a bit discouraged about spelling it so I use the abbreviation ... F or FAH, but that also is an acronym for Foreign Affairs Handbook. And it can get confusing. 40 degrees celsious to fahrenheit is 104 and for some reason or another The USA and the rest of the world are using different forms of measures not only temperature but measures for making tools and manufacturing products. I think its about time to find a way to make it the same for the entire planet. Either go with American Standard or Metric. Even the electricity grid is different in other countries compared to the USA.
@dollaboy (6153)
I'm happy that you are doing so well and you are so caring with your Neighbors, Stay blessed, Anthony Davis.
• Dallas, Texas
I think it is best I do that. The neighborhood lacks that certain unity that used to exist back in the 50s and 60s when I was just a boy. Things could turn around though. I am a member of Kiest Park Neighbors online, a group of local residents who keep each other informed to the goings on in this area. It has proven very helpful to many who are members of this group.
@dollaboy (6153)
@lookatdesktop sounds very very good
• Dallas, Texas
@dollaboy The internet is a good way to make people connections.
@Tracy04 (10815)
Hope all problem solved soon.
• Dallas, Texas
Thanks. I think the water leak was caused by a back hoe that was digging into the ground under the street to repair a pot hole or to actually replace a water main pipe. They have ways to detect water leaks underground and try to fix them ASAP. They were working a crew of about 10 or more people for several hours yesterday to fix this problem and water was restored to the residents within under an hour and a half after I reported it.
@Tracy04 (10815)
@lookatdesktop must be noisy when maintenance or repairing occurs
• Dallas, Texas
@Tracy04 , The traffic noise is so loud that you would not hear a missile launch a few blocks away. The fact is, they must have accidentally ruptured an underground water pipe while digging with a backhoe to repair the street or maybe repair a pot hole. They are always doing stuff to the streets. I think the tax payer is paying for them to just cut and fill just to practice as they don't seem to have any real work to do. The real work would cost more. like perhaps repair the bridges and pot holes and sidewalks. Even the local grocery store parking lots are in bad need of repair. They don't seem to care.
@LeaPea2417 (21997)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I am sorry about the problem with the water main in your neighborhood and I hope your elderly neighbor is ok.
• Dallas, Texas
The officer said the man next door is okay. I printed out a copy of a list of number he can call for heat relief in Spanish. I spelled his last name incorrectly but since I put a smiley face on the envelope and it didn't have a return address or a stamp, I hope he realizes it was I who put it on his mailbox. I can always talk to him when I catch him outside the house. All his windows were open this morning. This indicates to me either he can not afford to run an Air conditioner or that he doesn't have a working unit at this time. The number on the Spanish printed letter provides a place that can give one to him.
@LeaPea2417 (21997)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@lookatdesktop That was nice of you and I hope he is able to call it and receive an air conditioner.
• Dallas, Texas
@LeaPea2417, I think it might be more than just that. He has two window units now that I took time to investigate. I see both window units are off. Then the bottom line is, he must be unable to afford the electricity bill. The power company charges a lot more this year because Lite-Up-Texas gave discounts to low income families. This happens to be a poor neighborhood and lots of the houses are rentals. This year they stopped with the government assistance programs and we all pay full price for electricity bills. Including me.
I hope you can get someone who speaks Spanish to help him. Elderly people can be very much afraid if something not normal occurs.
• Dallas, Texas
True. The officer was kind and thoughtful and more importantly, bilingual. He talked to our neighbor. I just got a link to a resource that can possibly assist him during this hot period. Below is a link to the site from the local area: I called the office that can help him but they are closed for the weekend and must be contacted only on week days. So I will try to talk to him even though I don't speak Spanish. Maybe I can print out a text with information in Spanish for him.
Cooling centers are open, and air-conditioning units and energy monitors are available for the low-income.
@lookatdesktop I´m sure there is another neighbor around who knows Spanish. That feeling of isolation during a crisis is like being alone in the world.
• Dallas, Texas
@marguicha , I would feel the same if I were the only white guy in the neighborhood and everyone else spoke only Spanish. I only know English so I am about as dumb as it comes when I should by now know at least a little bit of Spanish. But I don't bother trying to learn. Lazy I guess. When trying to order at a Mexican Taqueria, I find it frustrating as all get out.
@prashu228 (25504)
Glad your neighbor is fine. So nice if your concern about your neighbors. Have a great day
• Dallas, Texas
He is fine for the moment. Hopefully he can get some heat relief from the phone numbers I have provided him in a Spanish printed paper of places that help others in the area who have trouble with their energy bills and may need immediate help with getting a window Air Conditioner or at least a box fan.
@prashu228 (25504)
• Richfield, Utah
Glad you're neighbor is ok, but my thought is, yes even though he is elderly, being Hispanic, hes probably used to the heat... glad he's ok though
• Dallas, Texas
There have been several heat related issues that required emergency intervention in Dallas during the month of July. I don't have the statistics but even Hispanics need to keep cool and though we perceive them as more used to this heat, they too can suffer ill effects from it just like you and me.
I hope your neighbor r is ooay
• Dallas, Texas
He is okay. He was asleep and very hard of hearing. The police officer got him to the door and managed to make sure he was okay. He is fine. And thankful for our concerns.
Did you ever find out if he was ok or not.
• Dallas, Texas
After about 20 minutes the officer managed to get the neighbor to the door by knocking on his back bedroom window. He had been asleep and was hard of hearing. His situation is, he lives alone, he is Hispanic and speaks only Spanish, and is elderly and has hearing problems. The air conditioning was off and windows open so he must have been plenty hot in his home this afternoon as the temperature reached 102 officially, in Dallas today.
@FourWalls (15203)
Like a good neighbor, Desktop is there! Hope your water is back on soon.