Are You A Material Girl/Material Boy?

@mandala100 (46171)
Hong Kong
The song "Material Girl" by Madonna has captured the essence of Materialism: " 'Cause we are living in a material world And I am a material girl You know that we are living in a material world And I am a material girl," While my search on the internet has defined and described "Materialism" as follows: 1. A tendency to consider material posessions and physical comfort as more important than spiritual values; 2. A tendency to think material objects are more important than people; desire for money; 3. A desire for wealth and material possessions with little interest in ethical or spiritual matters. I heard long time ago that all material possessions are only a means to an end and not an end in itself. Why do some people consider material possessions as the standard or measure of success? Are you a material girl/material boy? How do you view your material possessions? Image source: imdb.com
@shikharava (1852)
I don't know if I'm a materialistic or not. But I don't go on giving more importance to irrelevant things than to people. That's the same case with money. If I see that I can make a shop-owner smile by paying them straight what they ask and not bargaining with them, then I do it. People are more important to me, not money. I can earn as much money as I want. But I cannot "earn" people if I lose them. I guess, money cannot buy everything. (*_*)/"!
@mandala100 (46171)
@shikharava You are absolutely correct my friend and I'm glad that you have this kind thinking or frame of mind.
@mandala100 yeah, I'm careless in such matters as saving and all. But I'm good at bargaining, though. But that doesn't make me materialistic, right? I respect people more than money. I believe people are more important. You can buy things of comfort, but you cannot buy the comfort itself, which you can only have if you have someone to look after you and share those things with you.
@dollaboy (6223)
@shikharava I am believing now that you are pretty serious these days, Shikha
The reply is easy, because this is a materiel world.
Although, it is a material world, to me it is not the main thing in life.
@mandala100 (46171)
@marlina That's true my friend and I agree with you.
@marlina I fully agree with you, but unfortunately it is for most people.
I only want things that I need. I do not care what anyone else has.
@mandala100 (46171)
@jstory07 That's so nice and good to hear my friend.
@dollaboy (6223)
Nice Question, peter fella. I bet I'm not
@mandala100 (46171)
@dollaboy That's good to hear from you my friend.
@dollaboy (6223)
@mandala100 Thanks, its never Good to be materialistic
@mandala100 (46171)
@dollaboy I absoluetly agree with you my friend.
@vsai2008 (7689)
If I really like something I buy, otherwise I don't I don't go for brands and all but for comfort, that's it. I feel materialistic possessions make you happy only for that moment in time, if it has some sentimental value, then it's different.
@mandala100 (46171)
@vsai2008 Yes you are right on this my friend.
@shivamani10 (11228)
• Hyderabad, India
When we can not understand the other fields it is only an inevitable evil for all common people to stick to materialism. After all, we all live at the most for about 60-80 years. What have we to do with the unknown? Let us earn as many comforts as possible and lead a luxurious and lavish life till we die. This is what almost all people do think. There is no special reason for this.
@mandala100 (46171)
@shivamani10 Thank you for your thoughts my friend.
@responsiveme (16753)
Not really...And the things I treasure most can't be bought for money Having said that , I do work hard for my money...It's necessary
@ridingbet (55876)
i think those who are materialistic did not have the luxuries when they were still children, and making money is their ultimate goal in life. i am not one.
I'm very materialistic and proud of it. It doesn't mean that I'm not spiritual or unethical. It means that I love beautiful things and can afford them. I met Madonna. Her adopted daughter, Mercy, skated in a show with my granddaughter. She looked very unmaterialistic, except for her body guards and nanny.
@mandala100 (46171)
@DianneN I'm glad to hear that my friend. I hope many will learn from what you say my friend. Maybe Madonna has her own private persona my friend. Is Madonna still in Kaballah my friend?
I like the song, but no I am not really materialistic.
@mandala100 (46171)
@TRBRocks420 That's good to hear my friend.
@Prshnth (945)
• Bangalore, India
I am definitely not a material boy..sadly I see many material people around me
@mandala100 (46171)
That's right my friend and there are lots of them.
In my younger days I did have ambitions to acquire this and acquire that. I am now saturated in that today I live wihat I have as I have learnt that it is not how much one has but what one makes of what one has is the route to happiness.
@mandala100 (46171)
@allknowing You are absolutely correct on that observation my friend.
@gilggg (2668)
• Israel
I'm really not a material person, I always want only what I need and can afford to buy, I do not care what others have and how they think about me (and what I have) And when I have what I want, my life is happier and more enjoyable
@Neiltarquin (1092)
• Rass, Saudi Arabia
Im a material boy but I work hard for my money so better get it right... LOL..
I am not and I repeat I am not a material person, never was and never will be!
I am not a material girl. I view my possessions as not mine, even though I paid for them, but as gifts from God for me to use while I live on this earth. If I lost everything today, I still have my life, my faith, and my God and that is what matters to me.
Give me money and I will happily practice being a material boy.