Playing 'Follow-The-Leader'

By JJ
And taking turns being the leader. This is one of Scar's favorite games. When he feels it is time to have some fresh canned cat food (which, incidentally, is not when the bowl is empty, but is when he has licked up all the gravy from the previous time...all he wants is the gravy ) he'll start pestering me: "Dude. Hey, dude. Dude. Dude. HEY DUDE!!!" ...and lead me to the food bowl(s) where he will sit and just stare at me until I pick the one bowl up...and then he follows me to the kitchen and stands at my feet while I get a new can, open it, and then put it in the bowl. He never leads me there...he always follows. And this is the only time he 'follows'... But when I pick up the full bowl, it is HIS 'turn' to lead, and he quickly heads to the feeding area, looking over his shoulder to make sure I am following. I should just be glad he lets me have my turn.
My one cat is like that. She loves the gravy and will lap all of that up and leave the shreds. Hence, I've stopped buying shredded food and only get the pate style now.
He'll leave pate to molder...won't touch it.
@JolietJake All of my crew will eat it. The shreds are hit or miss. Their absolute favorite is the Tuna for Cats from Trader Joes. It is super cheap at like 49 cents a can too. Just have to drive 30 minutes to get to TJ's.
Scar has you well trained.
@akp100 (13328)
When you are taking bowl to kitchen he wants you to lead as he know he can't. But when you are heading towards feeding area he knows that now its his turn. He is smart enough.
Oh, he knows the way to the kitchen and could easily lead me there...he leads me to the door any time he wants to go out.
@akp100 (13328)
@JolietJake Actually I wanted to say he wants you to lead because he can't take that food by himself, so he wants you to lead and do that thing fast. Of course he should know all the ways. Maybe more than you.
@owlwings (39095)
• Cambridge, England
I think that cats firmly believe that they can communicate with humans telepathically and that we are acting incredibly stupid and dumb when we don't understand the simplest messages and commands. The impatience and sighs of frustration are almost palpable when the cat's servant doesn't understand what is required of him/her.
I find it odd though that this is the ONLY time he walks behind me. I'm sure there is CatLogicâ„¢ there somewhere, but I learned long ago not to try to figure it out.
@nomus24g (22199)
Very intelligent
He ain't no dummy, that's for sure.
I suppose so. Once they are spoiled there is no going back.
That is an interesting routine you have there.
Mine will wait in the shadows until she hears the food bowl being filled with her crunchies. Then she runs like a bat out of hell for the dish. When it is morning she will run in front of you and flop down directly in your path. That is the signal she is ready for a treat. At dinnertime she is right under or near the table where she can be seen. She is hopeful to have a morsel fall from the table. Because she is so finicky, it often lays there until I am finished eating so I can sweep it up.
@nanette64 (17480)
• Fairfield, Texas
All I have to do with my bunch is pop the lid off the can and they ALL come arunnin' @JolietJake .