Olives not eat-able from the Tree

@Inlemay (17333)
South Africa
I have been reading Katerina's book slowling and enjoying every chapter when I have had the time. "Goat in The Meze" is certainly light Greek entertainment and as I progress through the village of Astakos and get to meet the 'all to familiar' people that make it so interesting, I found that chapter 29 had a certain kind of relevance to a day that I tried olives from a tree. Arbour Day is a holiday in South Africa where people are encouraged to plant trees. Just after we moved into our old-but-newly-bought-house we planted an olive tree. Three years later it was quite a structured little bush and I I noticed a few sprouting green bubbles every now and then. I was so excited and watched the fruit grow into nice marble sized green fruit. One day as I was watering the garden I decided to see if the fruit were ripe - so to say. I picked two and took a big bit out the fruity flesh of the first one only to discover it was insipidly bitter and had to spit it out quickly. Oh No, I thought my fruits had gone off. When I told my hubby, he laughed and laughed and then told me that olives cannot be eaten off the trees but have to be pickled in brine to make them edible. Now I know why this famous fruit is so pricey - I gave pickling olives a try and it was a very time consuming effort and they didnt taste anything like the ones I get in the bottle. So I have left the Edible Olive Making to the experts. Thanks Katerina @thea09 I am loving all the tales from Greece.
@garymarsh6 (12100)
Haha you do make me laugh with your little escapades. Perhaps you too should write a book. I must admit I have yet to have a read although I have downloaded it I still have not had the chance.
@thea09 (18329)
• Greece
Po po Gary, you don't know what you're missing, get stuck in and have a good laugh x
@Inlemay (17333)
• South Africa
I have my memoirs on paper - maybe I shall out them together one day - not sure who will read
@Asylum (46816)
• Manchester, England
For me it is irrelevant whether the olives are taken directly from the tree or stored in brine etcetera. Quite simply, olives are not edible.
@Inlemay (17333)
• South Africa
I only started eating olives after I had my third child. I wouldn't touch them before - the cravings came with the kid! ha ha ha - It is definitely an acquired taste
@Asylum (46816)
• Manchester, England
@Inlemay I have never been pregnant and therefore never acquired the taste.
@Inlemay (17333)
• South Africa
@Asylum ha ha ha - You missed out on some serious fun NOT being Pregnant!
Olives taste horrible picked from the tree, I never tried, I trusted what my parents told me. There are machines now to collect the olives, it was a very hard work back in times.
@Inlemay (17333)
• South Africa
its not as hard as time consuming - and for a jar of olives it takes forever. Its easier to get them from the olive farms we have now in the Cape.
@Inlemay We had many in the south of France, but I prefer the Tuscan olives, or those of south of Italy, they are bigger and sweeter.
@Inlemay (17333)
• South Africa
@LadyDuck I think I might just have some olives for breakfast - mmmm
@thea09 (18329)
• Greece
Glad to hear you are enjoying 'Goat In the Meze' by Katerina Nikolas (plug). At this speed I'll have the sequel finished before you finish reading book 1. I aim to be done by eo August but it's terribly hot and I keep falling asleep over it.
@Inlemay (17333)
• South Africa
I never rush a book - the reason being - i like to remember everything I read rather than just a word here and there
@thea09 (18329)
• Greece
@Inlemay I'm the opposite, I prefer to down a good book in one sitting but I expect you do remember more your way.
@Inlemay (17333)
• South Africa
@thea09 its the way I was taught to LEARN - slowly and steadily. I love the characters of your book - their names are so difficult to pronounce - I have recently met with Vangelis and that is a name I can say easily. ha ha ha dont mind me, I will finish your book in good time.
@topffer (29957)
• France
Should I tell that I also tried? My worst experience has not been with olives but with quinces when I was a kid : why are they so good once cooked and absolutely not edible on the tree ?
@Inlemay (17333)
• South Africa
eeeek Quinces I have heard are horribly bitter off the tree - that I have not had and now that I have been warned - will not have
@topffer (29957)
• France
@Inlemay They are traitors : they smell very good, have a nice yellow color and are tempting.
@Inlemay (17333)
• South Africa
@topffer thats the whole thing - TEMPTING but evil in taste
I've never had an Olive right off the tree. Thanks for the warning
@Inlemay (17333)
• South Africa
you are welcome
• Denmark
I'm sure many people have made this mistake. When I ate my first olives, I didn't like the taste at all. Now I like it. It's an acquired taste.
@Inlemay (17333)
• South Africa
Most certainly - I only acquired the taste of my third child was born
It is tempting to eat them straight from the tree. I remember my grandmother she had so many olive trees, she was making a lot of olive oil (along with pickled olives in lemon and garlic) and passing it around. It's not an easy task, but she loves doing it.
@Inlemay (17333)
• South Africa
its a process that takes time, but I suppose if you have the knack for it, why not
@tzwrites (3412)
I think many people make the same mistake and try to pick the olives off the tree and it tastes very bad. I did the same thing in Greece and now I learned my lesson.
• Denmark
I didn't see your comment and wrote exactly the same! :-)
@shikharava (1897)
Yes, your husband's right. They need to be pickled first so that they could to be eaten. Also there's a bitter chemical inside the juice of olives which needs to be squeezed out. I have been to a farm where they grew olives and learned how they extracted olive oil from the freshly picked fruits. It was amazing to know about it. (*_*)
@Inlemay (17333)
• South Africa
Its amazing that such a bitter fruit off the tree turns into such an extraordinary taste once cured correctly
@BellaDoc (715)
• San Diego, California
Pickled or not, I am not a fan of olives. Thanks for the reminder about Katerina's book.
I think I might have known this once but I'd forgotten about it.
@Ceerios (4775)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@Inlemay - Olives ... One of my buddies had an interest in a company that sold "stuffed olives." The olives arrived at the company in large casks filled with olives in brine. They were imported from several different countries to their "stuffing factory" located in South Texas. It looked to be an interesting business. -Gus-
Good to know my friend and, makes sense, because that's the only way I have ever eaten them.
I did not know you couldn't eat them from the tree. Good to know.
@Inlemay (17333)
• South Africa
there are many fruits one just cannot eat off the tree - Quinces are another
@Inlemay I've never had quince.
• Pamplona, Spain
Olive trees are here too but they are not safe as they spray too much pesticide around so I never touch them although they are lovely to see around.
@Inlemay (17333)
• South Africa
Oliver Trees are a great asset to the gardens and they are evergreen so survive the harsh sun and climates of South Africa
@Tracy04 (10696)
I have a good read here too. Hope you have a great day ahead!