It Is A Humbling Experience

Anniston, Alabama
While most of us are setting around griping about not having cake, not getting things because of being broke and just not having stuff there is a humbling experience when you walk into this one room. In This room nothing matters but living. Today was the second of the immune therapy treatments he will be taking and what is so humbling is siting around talking to the people who have cancer and are sitting in a row of recliners with an I.V. in their arms being pumped with poison just to have another day of life. One of the guys there is 41 years old and he is on round 40 treatments of chemo, I feel so bad for him and his wife because when one cancer is gone another pops up some where else. Going back out to the lobby with the families and talking about all the pressures that the caregivers are under to make sure that the people each of us love makes it to the poison pumping station, so we can have them on earth another day. I felt so sorry for this one older man, not much older than me, he looked over after being given instruction for what his wife was to have to eat before a PET scan, the lady went back to change the appointment to be right after the radiation therapy, he slumped and sighed and said " how do these people think we are supposed to remember all of this? " I told him to get a date book and write each appointment down when he gets the appointment. then he said " what about eat this and not that?" I told him that would be on the instruction page then I put her words in layman terms, she said eat proteins and no carbs or sugar, I told him she can eat meats the night before but nothing else, no sweet anything, he then understood and you could see relief cross his face. When you get mad because you cannot go anywhere, think about those babies at St. Jude`s hooked up to the poison pumps and cannot leave that hospital. When you look in the mirror and think that you are ugly go visit the burn unit at the hospital. Maybe you`ll realize how good life really is. Life is so short to worry about stupid little things. Life is to short to hold grudges or stay mad. In the long run you are making your own self unhappy. This public announcement was brought to you by Angie, Who has seen more in this one lifetime to cover 10 life times.
This is a great post Andria. It is the one thing that bothers me immensely to hear someone batching and griping and not valuing their health or the fact that they have a place to live. Health is more valuable than anything in life. Thanks, this is the most thoughtful, useful discussion I have read this very day.
Without health we have nothing.
@andriaperry Thats right, nothing else matters if you are so sick.
@andriaperry I have understood this line for decades. Health is everything.
You are a beautiful and wise woman indeed. You are so right. I count my blessing everyday and I don't complain because somewhere someone is so much worse off. Hey, my hubby has temps back to normal but I am keeping him quiet this week until it all blows over. So yes counting blessing here and sending blessing to you with your heart of gold.
Aww thank you. May God bless you and your husband.
@RubyHawk (30335)
• Atlanta, Georgia
you're right, we should be thankful that we can get up and walk around. I saw more than enough sorrow when my son was at St. Judes to do me a life time but someone somewhere is suffering every day. I hope your husband is responding well to his treatments.
Not my husband but he is doing well with them. I am sorry you had a child at St. Judes
@RubyHawk (30335)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@andriaperry I'm sorry I had forgotten you said before it wasn't your husband. My youngest son was in St. Jude's for three months but thankfully he recovered.
@Nawsheen (22955)
• Mauritius
That's a very good post. You are definitely right. Life is short. We must not complain about everything and we must try to find happiness in everything that we do
Yes and even if life is hard, I still thank god for my health.
@Nawsheen (22955)
• Mauritius
@andriaperry Yes you are right. Health is wealth
@HazySue (23714)
It is indeed humbling. I found out real quick that my problems with health are unimportant compared to those in the position where they are just trying to live another day.
Same here, so what my back hurts? Ya know!
@HazySue (23714)
@andriaperry it's good to have a reminder ever now and then that your problems are small compared to some.
This is a very good reminder, thank you. As I'm sitting here on the cold tile floor and hungry since I have nothing to eat today-you have reminded me that I am not stuck in a hospital dying of anything horrible. Thank you.
You are not having a wonderful life at the moment and I want you to have food too! But you see it as I do, it could be worst.
@andriaperry Yes things could always be worse and I HATE hospitals more than being homeless!
@hostessman (10137)
• Tucson, Arizona
i look at a lot of my friends and realize how lucky we are
Yes you are, you have seen this time and time again too.
I agree that there are other people had it worst than we have. Sometimes I just think of myself how lucky I have to be healthy and has all parts of the body. Now, I'm enjoying my usual boring peaceful day.
Yes its good to be thankful.
This post is a great reminder that we should count our blessings everyday.
Yes I do and it does.
• Denver, Colorado
Yep. It could always be worse.
Always can be worst.
@sugartoes (43145)
• Greencastle, Indiana
I agree, people have NO IDEA how other peoples lives are & think THEY have it bad if their car won't start or they run out of something & don't have the $ for it or cause they can't have something they want they throw a fit, it's just pure selfishness & SAD.
I agree, I do not like to hear people say they are ugly, Why? There is nothing that can ever get the sounds of the screams from people being skinned after being burned.
It does make everything else you face seem insignificant.
Yes it does!
Yes, complaining about the little things makes us fail to realize what a gift life really is.
Yes I agree and today was one of those days that just gets to me.
Very well said!
Thank you.
It's very sad that any human should have to suffer in that way and, I pray for them all, but I am also thankful for every gift in my life and, appreciate every moment.
Yes it is and so do I !
@xstitcher (12710)
• Petaluma, California
My Mom will be starting immuno-therapy in a few months. I am thankful that there is such a thing.
Me too! Its amazing how far the scientist have came with research.
no problem here .
I know you have seen your share of sickness and you get up and keep going, I admire that from you.
I count my blessings every day and am thankful for all that I do have.
Me too, I actually say thank you god for and I list it off.
I went with my dad when he had bladder cancer for his chemo treatments. You are so right, worrying about the trivialities of everyday life is a waste of precious time we have here on earth.
So dont worry and be happy!
@Morleyhunt (21300)
I know how you feel. I get so tired of hearing (reading) the complaints about the deprivation and how unfair life is. I want to tell them to work to find a solution...not to expect someone else to bail them out. I've spent a lot of time at the hospital again this week....we are so blessed.
Yes we are!