I hate people like this....

Pixabay image
Rochester, New York
While sitting at the diner with my family there were a couple women sitting in the booth behind us. One woman was telling her two companions "Your not a real Christian if you don't go to church." One of her companions mentioned that she was a Christian and didn't go to church and the woman blurted out "Well then your not a real Christian, your a fake one." I wasn't sitting with them and even I got offended by that remark! The woman who had that remark directed at her shrugged it off and replied with "That is your opinion." The conversation was changed and the bitter judgmental woman acted as if the conversation never took place. If I were one of the two sitting with her I would have gotten up walked to another table. How would you have handled something like that?
• Uzbekistan
I'd have started an argument and shown her how idiotic her remark was.
@msiduri (5743)
You probably would have given her a fine argument and wasted a lot of time. She wouldn't have heard it.
• Uzbekistan
@msiduri You may be right but I would feel better.
• Rochester, New York
I wasn't actually part of that conversation so I said nothing to her, but gave her a dirty look as we were leaving.
I think the response "That is your opinion" would be the way I would handle that situation too. First of all, I do not need to defend my Christianity. I also do not want to waste time with someone who is not open-minded.
• Rochester, New York
I agree with you. No one should have to defend their beliefs and nor should someone get told as to how to worship their God.
I would have laughed and told her I was Jewish.
@alberello75 (18630)
• Genova, Italy
Well, I could not intrude myself into business of somebody else
• Rochester, New York
I said nothing to her at all because I wasn't part of the conversation.
@alberello75 (18630)
• Genova, Italy
@LisaSteinmetz In fact, I would have done the same thing
@msiduri (5743)
I probably would have reacted the same way this person did, with the added point that I would have politely declined to speak to that person again. Who needs the drama and the finger wagging?
• Rochester, New York
The friendship would have ended right then and there if that were me.
@msiduri (5743)
@LisaSteinmetz I'm not a believer so I probably wouldn't have gotten into a conversation like this to begin with. We heathen don't have a heathen code. If we do, no one's told me, which is just as well because I wouldn't pay attention to it if they did. But how DARE a friend define someone else's belief? Lotta gall.
@inertia4 (27713)
I could care less about religion in general. I think it is a stupid subject. Especially when people are all around trying to have a good time. It always makes a moment nasty. So avoid religion as a topic and also politics. Heated arguments can spark as a result. And it's nobody's business where one goes to church or not. I hate those people who have the need to push their religion on someone or think they are superior because they are one religion or another.
• Rochester, New York
I avoid those topics at family gatherings and at restaurants. They only cause animosity among everyone there.
@inertia4 (27713)
@LisaSteinmetz Exactly. I can't stand when people start those topics. Especially at holiday dinners.
@hereandthere (32753)
i'm glad the woman spoke up, and the other one let it drop. i guess she knew it could get worse if she pursued it.
• Rochester, New York
True. I would have walked out and the friendship would have ended right then and there.
I'm not religious but i probably would have said the same and if it continued instead of stop, like it did, then id walk away
• Rochester, New York
I would have walked away if that were me.
@nanette64 (17934)
• Fairfield, Texas
I don't recall Christ having a building (church) @LisaSteinmetz . HE spoke on hillsides, along a lake, in people's homes, in the town square. If what that woman believed was true, then I guess when I go to bed and kneel down to have a chit-chat with GOD, it doesn't count.
I laughed at the 'fake Christian' comment!!