Waking Up In The Middle Of Night Pain And Breathing Issue

Well it's 12:40 AM and I woke up with some mild but disturbing pain. My breathing is a bit off but I'm okay. Working through it is all I can do. I can't lay down for a bit because of it so I figured I'd write about it. I got up and drank some water which seems to have relieved some of the cramping so it's likely my IBS causing the problem. The breathing has to do with my sleep apnea and Asthma I suspect. my sinuses are stuffed up which seldom results in what it has tonight ( a need to sit up to breath through my mouth). When things like this are coming on I usually stay up a bit longer but tonight there was no real warning. About 45 minutes into my sleep I was just woke up in pain and gasping. While I am writing it is clearing so I'll head back to bed soon. Has anyone else with IBS or breathing problems ever experienced this? I'm just wondering. Over the years before being diagnosed this happened all the time and I couldn't figure it out. Even the Dr's missed it for a long time. Now I fear @Susan2015 will see me up and think I am choosing to be up even though this happens more than I'd like to admit. I figured I'd write here to get it out of my system. Now I'm off to bed as it seems to be clearing up after sitting up for 25 minutes. If it returns I may have to sit up the rest of the night. I hope it is done and I can sleep normal.
Sorry didn't see this earlier I was up myself when you wrote this as I woke up at about midnight. I often get up before th 4 am alarm. I am so sorry this happened to you. I think it was a good idea that you drank the water have you tried the water with this situation before or were you just guessing about it? Now you know that you can drink the water if this happens again. I read in your responses that you got some sleep for which I am happy. Have a good day!
@Marty1 I figured it out years ago before being diagnosed and have kept those tools in my 'tool box' even after diagnosis.
@Berniezeitler you are very perceptive if you didn't even have a diagnosis. I wish you all the best in the future!
@dollaboy (6337)
I'm sorry about that. Hope you are feeling well now. Water always help
@dollaboy Doing better this morning. Was able to get almost 7 hours sleep. ( 1 and a half sitting up and just under 4 on my CPAP Machine.
@dollaboy (6337)
@Berniezeitler take care brother
@RubyHawk (21451)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I hope you're okay If you should continue to have trouble it might be best to go to the emergency room. You shouldn't drive yourself.
@RubyHawk Thankfully I was able to get it under control. If it gets bad enough I would go as that is how my Asthma was diagnosed in 2011.
@RubyHawk (21451)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Berniezeitler You really need to take care of asthma.
@vsai2008 (7632)
My mother sometimes has this issue but not so severe to disturb her sleep I hope you feel better soon
@vsai2008 I've brought it under control but it took several different things to do so.
@vsai2008 (7632)
@Berniezeitler I hope you have good nights sleep the next day Take care :)
@mandala100 (25013)
@Berniezeitler I hope that you'll fell better soon my friend.
@mandala100 I always seem to get it under control with some simple techniques but it can take some time.
@mandala100 (25013)
@Berniezeitler Alright my friend and I hope you always feel better.
Hope you will be able to get some sleep.
@TRBRocks420 I ended up getting up one more time and sleeping sitting up. Over all It was a bit less than desired but not as bad as it could have been. I'll have to explain better as some may not understand that 2 separate conditions were acting up and symptoms were interacting. Whe it happens I have several different practices that help it pass.
@Jackalyn (6666)
• Oxford, England
I have a similar problem and for that reason keep the front door or a window open a lot as I find getting into the fresh air helps the breathing. It also seems to be important to use an inhaler although I hate doing that. I don't think asthma and IBS are related however, despite being diagnosed with both. Every so often it gets so bad the ambulance comes, but I don't feel bad if it is a false alarm because the last time it turned out I had such bad flu I needed to be in hospital. You have my sympathy. Not being able to get your breath can be frightening. I was told to cough. Apparently if you cough you are not likely to die.
@Jackalyn You are correct that Asthma and IBS are related. Both were acting up independently. Because of IBS problems earlier in the week causing higher fluid expulsion I think I may have been a bit dehydrated which resulted in drinking water a lot last night while I was up to avoid other problems, (Basically the drop in fluid) was causing intestinal spasms). The fluid level also appears to have affected my Asthma and Sleep Apnea. Usually I get a 'slushy' feeling with high humidity but last night was more of a 'crunchy' feeling (hard to explain). I learned several things over the years to prevent hospital events and may write about them at some point. I refuse to go to the hospital unless it gets as bad as it was when I was diagnosed with the Asthma in 2011.
@prashu228 (22250)
Hope you are feeling better now. Have a great day
@prashu228 I'm getting there. Thank You!
• Japan
If you have IBS you might also want to find out if you have GERD or gastritis. Both of those can cause breathing problems, believe it or not.
@petatonicsca Thanks for the insight. Thankfully I have found ways to contend with this kind of event.
• Lakewood, Colorado
So sorry to hear of your bad night Bernie. I hope you are doing okay today.