Generation gap. Drugs, booze and abuse.

Chile
One of my friends here just made a post about the new ways of giving a party. I have heard a lot about such parties. And that is when I think about the BIG generation gp between myself and the youngsters now. Then, we smoked a couple of cigarettes (we did no have money for more) and a bottle of bad rum to mix with the coca cola (one bottle for all of us). We got high with the music. Now, when I hear youngsters talking, they drink until they are unconscious and relations between people are casual. It seems that life, like all of the material things we see, is disposable. When young people get together, they share more than interests: they share illegal drugs, booze and a way of destroying themselves. I´m sad. There´s nothing families can do. Society would have to undergo a mayor change. What do you think about this?
I definitely think millenials have bad habits. But then again, at least with my parents who were baby boomers, they were pretty wild too!!
Ithink that some were wild. Yes. But not the majority.
• Richfield, Utah
Oooh, my parents were the baby boomers too, and trust me, I think they were worse than some of the millenials now I see today!
@dgobucks226 True. But now things get out of control earlier because young people have more money and both parents usually work.
I think that bringing up kids is a job for parents not the schools or day care. I think that parents need to instill good morals and ethics in their children. Parents need to be aware of who kids are hanging out with and when they go somewhere they need to check in. Parents are responsible for their kids. They need to be hands on and not let them be out on their own all of the time. Talking to kids is important before they ever go out to parties. They need to know what is expected of them and they need to have rules. Too many kids now days don't.
I think that it is a joint responsibility. Talking to the kids is not enough. And we, as parents, cannot have our children inside a bubble either.
Such an astute analysis, delirious! Everything you said is so true Some parents try to be best friends with their kids, indulge them, and this can only lead to trouble as they grow older. Parents must be parents...sometimes "no" is a good word.
@dgobucks226 Years ago, it was better to add a slap on the butt too. I still think that it did help, if you did not abuse them.
@dgobucks226 (7681)
It is hard to compete against peers but we must try. It is important to instill character and responsibility in our children. We must know there whereabouts and be interested in what they are doing. We must hold them accountable for their mistakes and use punishment when needed, but more importantly, encourage them to do better next time. Finally, we must praise our children when they do something positive and always work to establish communication. DB
That can help, but I´m afraid it isn´t enough. Because those children are going to be shunned by their peers and will be unhappy. And most parents are either not aware of what is happening or they don´t care or they don´t have the time.
@nanette64 (14627)
• Fairfield, Texas
Drinking is even becoming a problem for pre-teens @marguicha and that's ridiculous. It's obvious that parents are parents any more.
That is a shame! There should be someone to look after the children.
@nanette64 (14627)
• Fairfield, Texas
@marguicha I don't even know why people have kids any more.
@nanette64 Now that there are all sorts of devises so that women do not get pregnant, they still do it while not wanting a child.
It is sad how the world has changed, those young people will have serious problems later. I wonder if the governments do nothing because our generation and the previous one were too healthy, they have to pay the pensions for too many years.
What do you mean about unhealthy?
@marguicha I did not say unhealthy, I only said that our generation was too healthy, in the sense we are strong and live long years.
@vandana7 (57678)
Sometimes I think it is all the effect of not getting enough attention, but that is not always true.
I suppose the problem is a complex one and that there is not just one cause.
I think you are right and it's very sad. It seems the aim at some parties is to drink yourself into oblivion as quickly as you can.
I have heard about that. And that shows that reality is not something they like nor that they are interested to change.
I agree, things are so different now.
It seems that I aslo was lucky.
It is unfortunate, but young adults seem to be in self destruct mode and I don't see any way to change this. By nature teenagers believe they are indestructible and it usually takes something really bad to wake them up.
True. But before, It seems to me that young people did not have so much money to buy all this. I have heard about awful parties and encounters where it seems they want to kill themselves in the most painful way
@Tracy04 (10627)
Most young generations are like that. We here always advice the young community at church and the other branch to not get involved with such things. My brother last time got tempted by his school mates, if he doesn't smoke the friends are not going to get along with him. Mom says let them go and, until now my brother is healthy and his school mates are the opposite.