The French cattle have changed from fawn to red - we must be near Salers

Bunbury, Australia
As we’ve travelled through France the last two days I’ve noticed that the cattle have changed from a biscuity-colour to a rich mahogany red. We are now in the region of Cantal in the Massif Central of France. This evening we drove through Salers and this is the name given to these ‘red’ cattle. They are a large breed with long lyre-shaped horns although some are born without horns. They were originally bred as draught animals but are now considered dual-purpose (meat and milk). They are renowned for their ability to withstand extremes of temperature. We’ve seen a lot today and we’ve been mostly at an altitude of around 5,000 feet. The one in the photo was by herself and is possibly a ‘house-cow’ milked by hand to provide milk for a household. The cow-bells give a lovely sound and most herds of cattle that we’ve seen over the last few days seem to have a few ‘belled’ cows in their midst. So I now have another of my own photos to add to my collection of cattle breeds.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Ah, that's the first thing I wondered. About the bells, I mean. I suppose you can find the whole herd if a few have bells.
Some of the mobs seem to have been confined to areas where finding them wouldn't be a problem but perhaps the owners don't get around to taking the bells off or it's just habit to have them on. They are certainly a lovely sound to hear in the distance.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@JudyEv I wonder if their "range" varies by season. Here I see cows grazing in pretty large areas.
@TheHorse I think their range varies by region. In some areas there seem to be few fences but high in the mountains you'll see groups of cattle.
• Preston, England
an impressive looking cow - nice background details
Thanks. It probably wouldn't interest a lot of people - or they wouldn't notice any changes from place to place but it is something that does attract me.
• Preston, England
@JudyEv your enthusiasm makes it interesting for your readers
She's a beauty. It's interesting how different regions have their breed of cows.
Almost every county in Great Britain seems to have its own unique breeds of some kind or another. I really enjoy finding out what cows are what breeds.
@JudyEv That would be fun. We have a few different types here. Guernsey being one of the major ones.
@just4him Milking herds here often have a small percentage of Jersey and Guernsey cows to help raise the butterfat level. They don't give as much milk as the Holstein (Friesian) but their milk is richer.
I l ilke cows I grew up o n a farm we had chostein cows black and whie ?We had o ur own milk damd cheese too loved'growin up on a farm
I grew up on a farm too and we had Holsteins. It was a great childhood.
@dragon54u (31617)
I love cows. Both my grandfathers raised cattle, one had pedigree herefords and people came from all over the country to have their cows breed with his bulls. That was before all this technology! Cows are very smart. That is a beautiful bull you have pictured!
My parents had pedigree Friesians (Holsteins) when they had a dairy and later pedigree Herefords. I love all livestock breeds - cattle, sheep, horses, even pigs.
This cow certainly is a good looking cow! I am happy you noticed it so much that you took a picture and shared the story about them. I never heard of this type of cow. Can one find this cow in other countries or is it a cow unique to this area of France
I know they have them in Ireland now so possibly they might be in the UK as well. We don't have them in Australia.
@JudyEv Isn't Ireland a part of the UK? I have read some M.C. Beaton books that mentioned Ireland, and it seems like it is part of the UK??
@Marty1 Ireland is a separate 'island' off the coast of Britain. It is divided into North and South Ireland. The North is part of the UK and the South is an independent country. The UK consists of England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and perhaps a few small islands that I'm not sure about. Hope that helps.
She really is a beauty. How interesting that the color changes on those cows. Hope the bell doesn't annoy her, but she probably gets used to it.
Sorry - I wasn't very clear. Some regions have the tan Limousin cattle; some have the pale Charolais breed but then you come across the dark red Salers. It's just the different breeds are different colours.
@dgobucks226 (12105)
That cattle is winking at you! Must be a picture hound Thanks for educating me about red cattle, very interesting post
Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I am always taking photos of different animals.
She looks a bit apprehensive, but she doesn't seem to mind posing for the camera.
She was keeping her eye on us.
@MarymargII (9737)
• Toronto, Ontario
What a lovely experience you are having. This cow is a gorgeous colour. Are you enjoying any neat restaurants or cafes in France- for a little of the country's ambience? Got to soak up some local colour too haha!
We have had a few meals out and have come across a few festivals and been able to join in with the locals a bit. Last night we even did a bit of traditional French dancing.
• Toronto, Ontario
@JudyEv Oh now that would make the trip even more fun! Any stodge in the area? ha!
@MarymargII I don't think the French are into stodge!
@Tracy04 (10794)
Moo! Oh I miss my uncle's cow
I've always liked farm animals.
@Tracy04 (10794)
@JudyEv Our church near my uncle's house and he has a cow. The cow goes near to church too. He always said to us "the cow wants to pray too"
@Tracy04 That's nice to think of a cow praying. I wonder what she prays for?
That is a beautiful cow! I like to see people being so observant when traveling.
Having been together so long we now tend the notice the same things as we travel too. But we still point out things that the other has missed.
@JudyEv That's the fun! I miss that, traveling alone as much as I do.
@Jeanniemaries If I travel alone, I found myself thinking 'I wish Vince were here. He'd love to see whatever'.
What a beautiful cow that is. I like the color.
They are a nice rich red.
@studylove (2135)
@JudyEv You are right in what you say
It's almost like he doesn't want his picture taken, by the way he's looking at the camera.
I guess not too many cars stop and take her photo.
Beautiful animal love the horns.
They remind me of the US longhorns although the horns are as long.
Herc will appreciate the cow's come hither look!
Herc might like a little calf for a friend.
you must have quite a collection there.Very nice
I like to be able to use my own photos when I can rather than go to Pixabay or Wikimedia.