Taking 'share the road' to new extremes

Bunbury, Australia
Cycling, both pedal- and motor-cycling, are very popular here in France and vehicular motorists seem very tolerant of cyclists, more so than in Australia. There are frequent signs asking that cyclists be given a 1.5m clearance when passing. Routes for cyclists seem to be well-designated and there are many signs reminding people to share the road. Although it’s not a good photo, I quite liked this sign which shows a riderless bike. Although I quite like the sign I wouldn’t want to meet a free-wheeling bike charging around on its own.
We are just starting to make special roads for bikes and to rent bikes nearby.
Almost all the holiday vehicles here have bikes on the back. It's a very sensible way to see more of a place.
I would be wary of cycling and sharing the road since I lose concentration at times by looking at the scenery.
I see a lot more than Vince as he concentrates on the driving but it means he is often asking me to take photos of things out the window because there is nowhere to stop.
• Uzbekistan
That's odd indeed given that the car is driven by someone. The slope behind the sign is rather steep. Maybe the cyclist has fallen off his bike?!
I did get better photos but later realised they had riders on the bikes - but I like this one.
• Rochester, New York
A haunted bicycle? lol Whenever we drive past someone on a bike we always give them a lot of space. Accidents can happen and they could fall, so if they do they won't get hit.
Our vehicle makes a lot of noise and I'm sure some think it's a huge truck coming. We always pass wide too. There is a certain amount of wind generated when you pass which can upset their balance.
Maybe the Invisible Man is riding the bike.
You're probably right! I hadn't thought of that.
It is mandatory now also in Italy to leave at least 1.5 meters when passing a cyclist. If you do not respect you are fined (from 165 up to 650 Euro). I think it's a new European law, it's nice that in France they remind this rule.
We've seen many signs reminding us of this. I wonder how they catch people that don't obey this rule? Maybe the cyclist takes the licence plate number and reports the motorist.
@JudyEv There are many cameras on the roads in our days, taking a plate would not be an "evidence" if it's the word of the cyclist against the word of the car driver.
In my country, bicycles have their own special lane. But I do like the signboard.
In some areas there are special lanes but not so much on the country roads.
@JudyEv I agree. Most of these special lanes are in cities.
• Denver, Colorado
Yeah, why does the car have a driver but the bike has no rider? Those wacky French!
I got better signs later but then realised they had riders. I liked this sign better.
@xFiacre (5773)
@judyev Narrow country roads in Ireland were probably originally built for bikes and carts but if you get stuck behind one you need to be prepared for a very long, slow ride.
That happens here from time to time too. The ones dressed for riding with racing bikes and Lyrca are usually doing a fair speed so we have to be careful about where we pass.