Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

The photo has nothing to do with this story... It was a love story that turned crazy, kept me listening because I wanted to know how it ended. Most of you who know me, know I listen to Book on CD from the Library while I paint. I've been doing it for years and have heard some really interesting books. I was disappointed with this book because it didn't have an end. How can you write a book and not have an end? It was a fascinating story and I liked it right up to the end. While watching something on TV an announcement said Gone Girl was going to be on this past weekend – the movie. I don't usually pay attentions to movies, not my favorite thing to do. I watched it and will admit I enjoyed seeing it happen in front of my eyes instead of hearing the description from the CD. But it didn't have an end either. Now after seeing the movie and having read (or listened) to the audio of the book I did like the movie better. The non ending on both was disappointed but I understand what the author was doing...but I still want to know how it ended. Have you found yourself wondering what happens when you get a book with no end...?
"Gone Girl" is art and entertainment, a thriller and an issue.
@dragon54u (31605)
But it did have an ending! Not the one I had hoped for but he was shamed into staying with her. Don't want to ruin it for anyone so I'll stop there. That's one advantage of reading a book like this, you can go back a chapter or a few pages if you're confused about something. I suppose you could do that with a tape, too, but it's easier with pages. I had to go back several times on this one to keep the story straight. I really enjoy psychological thrillers like this but I did not like the ending!
I agree with you and I have gone back even with the CD to get the whole story. I also agree that he was shamed into staying with her was the answer BUT... I think if it was real life he would have blown the whistle on her killing the guy before she came home or...OR, he would make her disappear like she did before... I'm liking the book more after just reading the comments here and yours is a great example.
@dragon54u (31605)
@PainsOnSlate You know, I never understood movies, tv shows, and books where the characters are afraid to call the cops and tell the truth. But if they did what any ordinary person with common sense would do then we would have no story!
@dragon54u Thanks for the laugh and you got that - For sure!
I was going to watch the movie, but someone ruined the ending for me. I do dislike it when a movie or book leaves your mind kind of grasping at an end. I felt that way with the movie, The Village.
I can't stand people who will tell you the end...but this movie and book didn't have an end.
@PainsOnSlate I guess I should say they ruined the "twist".
I suppose I'd be disappointed, too.
Probably, I wouldn't encourage anyone to read it or watch it, although i liked the movie better than the book.
I read the book first, and I really did enjoy the movie. Yes, I did find myself wondering about how it ended.
Exactly what I felt too.
I read the book which I do feel had an ending. He was trapped in the marriage and at her mercy.The movie was less than the book.
I liked the movie more than the book and I agree with you, they are stuck together forever, but I really wanted them to go to jail or kill each other...
It's unsettling to leave a story unfinished. I prefer all the loose ends to be explained and resolved. Leaving it open like that is too much like real life. Everyone I knew was reading it when it came out, but I couldn't find a copy, so I never did read it. I did see the movie and liked it, although it was frustrating.
I get my books from the Library so I am always reading old novels. I found it frustrating with no real end.
@PainsOnSlate Yes, I understand! I once watched a five part mystery about a murder that was unsolved. Incredibly, after watching it for five hours, they concluded that it was unsolvable. I was really burned!!
@Jeanniemaries I'm guessing the words unsolved would have stopped me in my tracks, except like you I would think you would get the answer...at the end!!!
@Shellyann36 (9214)
I did not read the book but I did see the movie. It was interesting.
I thought so too, just a bit frustrating because I want and end to my books.
@PainsOnSlate That is always frustrating. Perhaps they are leaving room for a sequel?
@Shellyann36 could be but I don't think so...we'll see.
I never read books with no ends, I need an ending to everything.
Sadly I wasn't expecting to not find a end but there was none.
@PainsOnSlate This is upsetting.
I must admit that I haven't watched it. But I think it is better to read the book before watching the film adaptation.
I agree, I did just that but was disappointed in both,
@PainsOnSlate I agree with you. Sometimes film adaptation is not well-detailed in reference to the book.
I enjoyed the movie a lot.Saw it a couple of times.A thriller.
I enjoyed the movie too but hated the fact there was no end, I expected one or the other to die or in jail. The ending made me feel like they would hate each and stay together forever...
@PainsOnSlate yes your right there.I was a bit confused.
@bluesa (13427)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
This would leave me very unhappy. If I read a book or watch a movie, I want it to have a ending, anything else would bug me for a long time @PainsOnSlate .
Exactly how I felt and I watched the movie again, but still not any end...
It can be quite annoying when a book or film leaves you with a lot of questions. Some might like being able to plot their own answer but it's also a bit unsatisfying for me.
I'm with you, I don't want to make up and end, I want it to be there...
I don't think I have ever read a book without an ending and I am sure I would not like it.
I want an end at the end of the book. I hate to be left hanging...
My daughter calls those types of book "make up your own ending". I read both the book and saw the movie and although I liked both it was disappointing when it ended with basically no ending.
We all know if it was in real life one or the other would have killed the other... I highly dislike being left without the answer. But I do agree I liked both the book and the movie, but missed the ending.
@Gillygirl (17277)
• Sutton, England
I'm not keen on books or films that don't have a proper ending. I feel disappointed.
exactly how I feel...
@cahaya1983 (10055)
I saw the ending as bad and unfortunate, for the guy. He ended up having to continue living with the neurotic lady.
I agree with you to a degree, he was no prince, can't stand a man who cheats on his wife. Now that you mentioned that I wonder who was worse - of course she was because she is a murder but he's no prize either.
@Platespinner (16510)
I think you need to write your own ending, and then share it with me when I eventually get around to listening to the book. I hate stories that don't end. Well, I strongly dislike them, I'll save "hate" for books that end up being the first in a trilogy that really should have been published as one complete novel instead of three. There are few things as aggravating as a story that stops mid-stride.
I think the answer was there but it wasn't what I wanted to see... I would hope humans do what is supposed to do - following the rules and laws but this one didn't... Thinking about it I realized that was what made me unhappy with the book. If you read it or listen to it liet me know how you feel about it.