Missing the BUCK

Kudu from the African Kgalagadi
@Inlemay (16654)
South Africa
WITHOUT a rifle we arrived on the green - only our 4 lawn bowls could get us to the grand prize of a fabulous Buck. Yes, you heard me right - this past week-end we were signed up to play in a competition with multiple BUCK for 1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes. Well, by only ONE shot aggregate we fell into 4th place and missed the prize of a "Rooibok", otherwise known as an Impala in English. 1st Prize was an Eland Antelope and 2nd Prize was a Kudu Buck. It may seem strange to anyone reading this, that the prizes were of WILD MEAT - Venison, but in SA its a delicacy, and the "Biltong" made from one's share of the buck will be most rewarding for weeks to come. In a way it was a relief, but I never told my partner that - I dont eat Biltong at all, so I would have just given my portion of the winnings to my children to enjoy. So have you ever eaten venison? Good Morning to everyone and a special shout out to all the LADIES in the WORLD . . . HAPPY WOMAN'S DAY TOMORROW
@Platespinner (16782)
I enjoy venison when it's well prepared, but find the smell of it raw rather revolting. Imagine my predicament when we had a freezer full of venison unintentionally defrost at a time when we couldn't afford to let the meat go to waste. I spent the day processing the meat so it could be safely refrozen. It make me nauseous just to think about it.
@Inlemay (16654)
• South Africa
Unfortunately venison has a horrid raw smell as well as when its just on the cook - I actually have to do mine outside because I cannot stand the smell in my home
That would have been a real trial. Something like that can put you off the product forever.
@crossbones27 (20265)
• Redlands, California
I have it is very good, and really have no problem with hunting as long as they use the whole animal and not just killing for the sport. I get can be a sport and they still put animal to good use, not like Trump Junior shooting a leopard just because it was a powerful Predator and made him feel like a man. That I have never respected and never will, but glad you had fun and enjoyed the time and were to get some good staples for your children.
@Inlemay (16654)
• South Africa
I agree - hunting should only be for need and not for fun
• Redlands, California
@Inlemay Indeed miss lady
I have had some venison some better than others. I don't mind it though, free meat always helps a budget that is crying atm
@Inlemay (16654)
• South Africa
free meat is apparently a very good omen in ones life - we just missed it - nevermind
@Inlemay lol! I am kinda hoping someone gets a deer this year and brings us extras, we could use the budget bump for sure
@xFiacre (4590)
@inlemay Ah, biltong. I do like a piece of venison. There's a French restaurant here that does it to perfection.
@Inlemay (16654)
• South Africa
the French had it available in a few places we went to eat - as well as horse but that we didnt try
@xFiacre (4590)
@Inlemay Isn't it strange how some animals just don't seem right to eat!
I have but I'm not that fond of it. Better luck next time. It's nice to do well even if you don't have any particular use for the prize.
@Inlemay (16654)
• South Africa
I didnt mind NOT winning this one in particular
@Asylum (48273)
• Manchester, England
I have not eaten venison, which is extremely expensive here.
@Inlemay (16654)
• South Africa
its very dear here as well (pardon the pun) but very sought after
Yes, my friend I love venison.
@Inlemay (16654)
• South Africa
then you would have loved to win one of those prizes
Happy belated Woman's Day to you
@kepweng (16794)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
hope i can taste some venison sometimes or in the future dear meat is confusing to me