International Cat Day

Personal Photo by LadyDuck
Switzerland
While searching something online, I noticed that today is the "International Cat Day". This celebration started in 2002 and takes place every year, on the 8th of August. We have many famous cats on this site, I thought to share the news in case you forgot to extra cuddle your kitty. I have celebrated with my favorite cat, Willy, and the other two cats of another neighbor. Have you celebrated your cat today? In the Photo Timmy, Willy and Gerry.
I´ll tell my granddaughter who has a very sickly but lovable cat. Popina, the cat, survived thanks to her. Not even her mother liked it.
Poor Popina, I am glad that your granddaughter saved her.
@LadyDuck She has had a happy life with Carolina. But now, Carolina has to see who can take care or Popina. Carolina is going away for her Master´s degree and Claudia cannot have her as she has 2 big cats who´d eat her alive.
@marguicha Poor Popina, I hope she can find a lovely family where to stay.
@poehere (17075)
• French Polynesia
Thank you for reminding me of this very special day. I am cuddling my cat as we speak. He wants to swish his tail in my face. I keep getting batted with it now. Just one question? Is tomorrow national flea day? Heheh seems like they have a day for everything now.
You are right, in the United States they have a celebration for every day, but for the cats it was "International" and not only "National". It shows that our furry friends are kings.
@poehere (17075)
• French Polynesia
@LadyDuck Sometimes it is good and fun to have special days for different things. This was the first I had heard of a Internatinal Cat Day. Sort of fun.
@poehere I am surprised all the time when I read that there is a pancake day, or even more weird celebrations like "National Lumpy Rug Day" or "National Toothache Day", it's a bit ridiculous.
I don't have a cat but am a cat lover. Yeah for the kitties having a day.
I also do not own a cat, but I never miss to play with the cats of my neighbors.
I am a cat lover but it is still my first time to hear such a day. It is nice to celebrate it for cats. I wonder is there a Dog Day?
No, there is not an International Dog Day, the "National" dog day in the States is the 26th of August.
@LadyDuck Wondering why no dog lovers to fight for the International Dog Day as it will be unfair
@youless I have seen a page on Facebook, it says "International Dogs Day, every last Sunday in May". It's only less famous I suppose.
I saw this on Facebook this morning, but I'm not a cat person, meowwwwwww
I love all animals and I particularly love cats. I think that they know, look at those ones, all in my garden.
@LadyDuck I had a cat years back, it attacked me, latched onto the back of my leg and wouldn't let go.
@AbbyGreenhill Oh my goodness, what a bad experience. Willy acts like a dog, he comes when I call him, he follows me when I am in the garden, sits near me while I work. He only quickly runs away when I water the garden. I think he had a bad experience.
@dgobucks226 (4833)
Happy International Cat Day!
Lovely black cat. There was a nice black kitten that came to visit, but the neighbor gave her to his brother, I miss her.
@LadyDuck Yes my black cat was quite a character. She loved to play with and bat toys around. She would go crazy for a piece of string. I named her spooky being black I thought it was a good name.
@dgobucks226 Spooky is a good name for a black cat. This morning Willy seems to be in bad mood, he ignores me.
A wonderful photo you shared with us! We rescued one cat in our long line of rescues, and we loved her, but she had a mean streak.
Some cats are not at all sweet, no matter how much you do for them. Willy is the sweetest of the three.
@LadyDuck Sweet Willy!!!
@Corbin5 He is a funny cat, when I go down in the kitchen to prepare breakfast, as soon as I open the window he jumps inside.
@1hopefulman (18632)
I have had a few cats many years ago but these days I don't have any pets.
I do not have pets either, but I enjoy the company of the cats of my neighbors.
@1hopefulman (18632)
@LadyDuck I live in an apartment building and there was a lady that had a cat but she moved to Israel and since then I haven't seen any cats.
@1hopefulman For many years we lived in an apartment and there were no cats around. I am happy to see them in our garden now.
The three cats you have shown all look lovely. Do you get to meet and greet them all from time to time or is it just Willy who visits?
The three are all the time in our garden. Willy has become like a dog, he comes when I call him and he stays near me when I work there. The other two come near me only when I give them some treats, but for the moment are more shy.
@LadyDuck It probably won't be long before they are just as friendly as Willy.
@JudyEv I think that with a little patience I can gain their confidence.
@cacay1 (31822)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Wow, you got lovely cats, my friend. Belated Happy cats day. I have not celebrated this, I was at work, but I remember I fed our neighbor's cats with chicken bones last night. There were 5 of them happy eating plentiful bones from Jollibee which my niece bought last night.Cheers!
I am sure that the cats appreciated. I never miss to give food to my three furry friends.
@cacay1 (31822)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@LadyDuck yeah, they are so itiful, One cat always meets me in the gate every evening when I arrive home, so funny.He cares me.
@cacay1 There are times that Willy scares me, jumping out from nowhere.
We don't have cats at home. But I love looking at cats. My hubby and daughter love cats too. In fact, my daughter has many pictures of cats at her old iPad that she gave to me.
W do not have cats at home either, the three cats that come in our garden every day are of two different neighbors.
@LadyDuck That's good because you get to enjoy them without having to take care of them yourself.
@SIMPLYD Exactly, if we have to go somewhere for a few days, I do not have to be concerned by the pets.
@holdoors (1251)
I have no cat but I will go pet my neighbor's cat. I have dogs.
I have no pets either, but I love the cats of my neighbors.
@valmnz (12574)
• New Zealand
Well, Smooch and I didn't know 8 August was International Cat Day. As far as Smooch is concerned every day is Cat Day! And he's somehow convinced me of that
Don't tell Smooch you did not celebrate the Cat Day, he surely does not know. For my friends the cats it's always cat day, they come, they call, I feed and cuddle them and they can even come inside if the like.
@valmnz (12574)
• New Zealand
@LadyDuck what would we do without them hi to Willy from Smooch.
@valmnz Hi to Smooch from Willy, he still is my favorite, I feel he is MY cat.
• Calgary, Alberta
I just adopted a 3 legged kitten. The critter gets along well with my other cat.
• Calgary, Alberta
Here is another photo. The poor kitty got abandoned by it's mom so I picked it up.
@CaptAlbertWhisker Poor little thing, it's lovely, I am sure he/she will be grateful to have a house and food.
@CaptAlbertWhisker Yes, I remember the feral cat you kidnapped. You are right cow milk is not good for kittens. I am sure that your older cat will help the kitten.
@ridingbet (34694)
oh, my golly, i like your cats. they are so furry, and i like most is the cat with the gray and white colors fur, the one in the right side of the photo. .
Gerry is a beautiful cat, usually he is a quiet cat, even if time by time he digs around my flowers.
@ridingbet (34694)
@LadyDuck ohh, just like the 4 puppies. they like to dig the soil of the roses and other potted plants, that my sister would shout at the top of her voice and call them one by one. usually, the one whose tail is behind the hind legs is the culprit, and those innocent don't mind my sister's shouts.
@ridingbet I know how to make him stop, I take the water hose and I open the water, a good shower and for many days he stops digging.
@Asylum (46319)
• Manchester, England
I have only recently arrived home and have not seen the cat yet.
I am glad you are at home Barry, they will come when they see that you are back.
@Asylum (46319)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck Obviously, especially since they know how gullible I am and will keep feeding them.
@Asylum I am even more gullible, they meow under my windows, I stop doing what I am doing and I go downstairs to give them food.
• Preston, England
nice idea - when can we have International Arthur Day? lol!
Try to make a campaign to obtain a special day in your name.
• Preston, England
@LadyDuck might get a few other Arthur's to agree to it but not many others
@arthurchappell The more you are, the more chances you have to obtain an Arthur's Day.
@rachael5760 (2524)
• Israel
Ramona on the piano
Meorw, I like the idea of International Cat day. So here is a picture of Ramona, who we rescued from the street. She is a house cat now, but all the time tries to go out on the roof. She likes to eat leaves, and ate up the spider plant and almost killed the potted olive tree,but we love her!
She is cute, this photo is lovely. I am glad you shared it with us.
• Israel
@LadyDuck When I want to play the piano Ramona comes and takes over. She also tries to bat the keys from the bottom!
@rachael5760 Cats have a very strong personality.
@silvermist (15385)
So August 8 is International cat day.Those are nice photos of Willy,Timmy and Gerry.I just remembered about your friend bird Piper who announces Winter in September.
You have a good memory. I am waiting for Piper, such a cute little bird, I hope that he is safe and he will come back.
@silvermist (15385)
@LadyDuck I remember the name and liked it.I too am looking forward to the day.
Uh oh I was wondering why he was purring so extra-loud that morning and was NOT attended to soon enough (mind you 9 am for me is too early . . .) now I know and darn if I did not get here soon enough.
Cats are more active in the early hours of the day and during the night. When I opened the window at 5:45 this morning, Willy was there waiting to jump inside.
@LadyDuck I thought that too and yet over the years I trained T, but now as he is in his probably 8th life, (he is going on 17 years of age), he gets hungrier a few hours after the sun rises and of course an hour before the sun sets till about 2 am . . . Ugggh his momma is NOT a happy camper but he is my baby