Being on a Restricted Diet

@kobesbuddy (19448)
East Tawas, Michigan
All my life, I didn't have to be concerned about what I ate. If it was something that tasted delicious and looked good, it got consumed! Now, I'm soon to be 66 years old, this September and all of that has abruptly changed. Five years ago, I got sick and started losing weight fast, without changing my diet in any way. We have always tried to eat healthy, but also included sweets and fast food, quite often. After getting a thorough examination by an internist, he discovered that I have what's called 'celiac disease.' At about the same time, my general practitioner also discovered that I have hyperglycemia (#2 diabetes). Both of these illnesses can be almost completely controlled, by a strict diet regimen. And as long as all these rules are adhered to, better health is the wonderful benefit, that's reaped!:) Do I like being on a restricted diet? NO! Do I enjoy feeling 10 times better? YOU BET:)
I am a vegetarian, and that seems to keep me quite healthy and helps ward off certain diseases and conditions. I do have the occasional sweet food if my will power fails, like that one-time Reese's Puffs cereal adventure, but we do not have any sweets in the house which makes me sad, but it is a must.
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Corbin5 I don't even miss sweets, but wheat is added in with many foods. Cross-contamination is the worst thing to deal with, in restaurants.
@dragon54u (31339)
Yeah, it stinks but if we want to feel healthy we have to do it. I had to cut way down on salt and it was quite an adjustment. And yet, when I eat foods that I don't prepare they taste so salty that I don't like them. It's a big change but much better than being sick! I wish I could lose weight. I'd be willing to get a horrid disease if I could drop weight. I can go on diets that used to take the pounds off pretty well but only lose 1/2 pound every two weeks, it is ridiculous.
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@dragon54u My doctor realized that I was eating normally, or I'd be in a hospital bed!:(
• Lakewood, Colorado
That must be tough sticking to a gluten free diet ..but I am glad it helps you.
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@TiarasOceanView The worst part, is critics who tell me I'm too thin! Little do they realize, the disease does that and not this restricted diet!:(
Nobody likes to be obliged to follow a diet, but when we see how better we feel, we understand and obey.
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@LadyDuck Other people criticize me, because they say I'm far too thin! Without these restrictions, I'd die!:(
@kobesbuddy People cannot understand, I have always be thin, this does not mean I am not healthy.
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@LadyDuck Me too! I was even a thin, very active child all my life!:)
@HazySue (17182)
I have diabetes, heart problems, and a few othe4r little things that make my diet restricted. I LIKE YOU DON'T ENJOY BEING AS RESTICTED AS I AM BUT LIKE THE RESULTS.
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@HazySue Yes, when I stick to the strict diet regime, it's obviously working, because I feel better!
@HazySue (17182)
@kobesbuddy that's terrific. It makes it all worthwhile.
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@HazySue Some days, I long for a morning breakfast roll! Most days, I'm eating as the diet instructs.
I have been on a restricted diet of my own making since the mid80's...I can't eat pork, fried food, spices, nuts, cheese, milk and on and one.
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@AbbyGreenhill My husband is on a restricted diet, also. He is restricted, from saying 'NO' to anything, especially Southern pecan pie and Birthday cakes! lol
@kobesbuddy I could say no easily to the pie
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@AbbyGreenhill Jay says no to nothing, made with lots of frosting and sugar!:)
@inertia4 (26882)
I know what it's like to be diabetic. I have had type 2 diabetes since 1998. I just started taking the pill this year. It is not easy staying away from all the good tasting food. I have been cheating with that lately and I need to stop. I have to get my mind back in control and do what I used to do when I first got diabetes. And that mainly is not thinking about food and especially junk food.
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@inertia4 Yes, giving up junk food was hard, but my health has improved a lot!:)
@inertia4 (26882)
@kobesbuddy I know the feeling. I was there myself. And it is a great feeling to lose weight and feel full of energy.
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@inertia4 I wasn't overweight, but still lost about 10 pounds!:(
• Peoria, Arizona
At least it is much easier to be gluten free these days because there is a lot more food that is gluten free! I gain weight very easy so I have to be careful with what I eat, I cut out a lot of carbs, not happen about it because I'm a bread addict, but I have calmed down a lot.
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
But, those gluten-free foods are extremely expensive! One loaf of bread, is $5.00:(
• Peoria, Arizona
@kobesbuddy That is a shame, but it is better than them not existing.
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@DesirousDreamer You are right, I would be very upset if there wasn't any!:)
@holdoors (1327)
It is important to stick to a diet when necessary. At the end of the day, health is the most important thing. Stay healthy!
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@holdoors People remark quite often, I'm silly being on a diet, because I'm too thin! They don't realize, the disease did that, not the restrictions on this diet!:(
@holdoors (1327)
@kobesbuddy Yes. We cannot assume the reasons for other people diet. There must be a reason somewhere.
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@holdoors Nobody normal, who's underweight, is deliberately trying to lose weight!
@Tracy04 (10663)
The flowers are beautiful I never been on diet. Just eat in moderation and exercise
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Tracy04 Until five years ago, I ate anything that's available. Now, I have celiac disease and type-II diabetes.
@Tracy04 (10663)
@kobesbuddy sorry to hear that.
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Tracy04 Now, my health is much better, on this gluten-free diet!:)
@Ithink (6779)
My mom is so allergic to so many different foods now that she is older and it is hard on her. She hates it and it seems to be getting worse as time goes on. So far I don't have that problem, but I feel for those that do.
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Ithink And wherever we go, people are shoving food in my face!:(
@Ithink (6779)
@kobesbuddy Yes and she is afraid to order or eat at other places for the most part because if she eats the wrong thing, well it isn't good.
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Ithink Basically, we get violently sick:(
I'm sorry you have to be on a restricted diet, that's not fun. =(
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Now that I've adjusted to it, this isn't too bad at all:)
@kobesbuddy Well that's good! I would have a hard time with it.
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@LovingMyBabies At first it was terrible, because I've always eaten anything that's tastes good:)
@PatZAnthony (11813)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Many are in denial and won't even try dietary changes to improve their health (you know that) @kobesbuddy It is often easy enough to improve how we feel just by eating the right things.
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@PatZAnthony Since my diet is quite restricted, I feel 10 times healthier!:)
@vsai2008 (7610)
That is the way of our body telling us to eat right, it takes time to get adjusted to new diet routine but its good for your body :)
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@vsai2008 Eating right is what we're suppose to do. But, I sure miss finding different selections, easily.
Many seem to have issues with the gluten. I don't think it's probably good for most of us. It's good that you are feeling a lot better now that you don't eat certain things.
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Susan2015 I don't like being so selective, when it's time to eat. But, eating out is very hard, because most things have gluten added in:(
You are doing the right thing, tough as it may be. You look terrific to me!
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@DianneN Your messages always make me feel better, Dianne! Thank you:)
@Gillygirl (15290)
• Sutton, England
Eating a healthy diet can make us feel better. I do like a Maccy D on occasions though.
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@kobesbuddy We use to eat at Mac's occasionally, but now I can't find anything gluten-free, except for their coffee and milk!:(
I hope your insurance will reimburse you for some of the expense of having to buy gluten free .... of course if you stick with typical fruits, veggies, seafood and meat you shouldn't have a lot of a problem.
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
You are correct, sticking with all of the basic foodsis pretty much safe!:)
My birthday is in sept too. I hope you are ok now. I don't know what these conditions call for.
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Mine is on September 23, when is your Birthday?:)
• Pamplona, Spain
Its very hard to keep to a diet like that and I am dropping bread and biscuits very slowly so that I won´t even notice them when I don´t eat them anymore. Its not at all easy I know. You are doing very well congrats.