Some pretty fungi and a very big slug

Bunbury, Australia
We have stayed two nights at a campsite near Felletin. We always wonder if the owners will have a great deal of English, some English or absolutely no English. On this occasion the couple were from Norfolk, England and havw owned the park for ten years. We had trouble finding a campsite before we stumbled upon this one so it was nice to finally switch the engine off and connect power. Next step was a glass of wine! We had a thunderstorm that night but we were snug and warm. We went for a walk today between showers and saw very lovely fungi growing on a tree. We also saw the biggest slug we’ve ever seen. You can see him/her at the bottom right of the photo. And the Salers mahogany-coloured cattle that we’ve been seeing have given way to the wheat-coloured Limousins. They are deserving of a post of their own, especially as they posed so nicely for us.
I don't know what kind of fungus this is but it doesn't look edible. I've just learnt that the plural is fungi as you've written or 'funguses'. I like that.
@vandana7 (63819)
Definitely does not look edible..lol
@MALUSE Wood-decay fungi, they "eat" moist wood, they are parasite and absolutely no good to eat. You can see that there is moss on this tree, this side is facing north, so it's humid.
@LadyDuck We noticed the moss all on one side too.
The fungi and the slug make for a very pretty picture!!!
The slug was huge. We thought it was another fungus and Vince touched it lightly with a leaf and it just fell off. Then we found several more.
@JudyEv For some strange reason, I love the colors of the slug and the fungi.
@Corbin5 Vince has a better photo but at the moment I can't access it.
@IreneVincent (16026)
What are Limousins?
Limousins are a breed of cattle which originated in the Limousin area of France. I'll be doing a post on them soon.
I maybe be wrong but I may be right, that looks like the mushrooms they collect around here and they are very expensive! Some mushrooms go from $40 pound to $1,000 a pound.
Anna (@LadyDuck) says they are no good to eat. They're not really a mushroom, just fungi growing on the side of a tree.
We have huge fungi, but I only see snail slime. Yuk!
I didn't touch this slug. He was much too big.
@JudyEv It's huge!!!!! Escargot anyone?
@DianneN I don't think I've ever eaten snails. Maybe I should do so before I leave France.
Those are wood-decay fungi, they usually grow on the norther side of the trees, where the moss grows. Those fungi are parasite and not good to eat.
Some are quite large aren't they? This was actually a brighter orange than it appears here.
@JudyEv some completely cover rotten fallen trees.
@JudyEv Yes, they "eat" the wood and finally you can only see plenty of big fungi.
we had this on one of our maple trees.I took a photo a while back in one of my post.
They're very attractive aren't they?
@JudyEv sorry not to me.Nice to look at but not attractive.By the way I believe these are not edible?
@amadeo I don't think they are edible. I'd never eat one that's for sure.
Best picture of a slug I've ever seen.
Did you get muddled? The main part of the photo is the fungi and the LH corner shows the slug. Here is a better one of it.
@JudyEv - Ah. Even better.
@teamfreak16 When we first saw it we didn't know if it was alive or another piece of fungi. We stroked it very gently with a leaf and it just fell off the trunk! But then we found two more. Vince has a better photo but I can't access it at the moment.
The fungi sort of looks like a butterflies wings? Did you notice that or is it just me? It is beautiful! I didn't know slugs come in brown? I thought they were sort of a gray color? Enjoy the the rest of the trip! When do you go home? I Have a question i have been wondering about since you started this great trip? How did you get your camping vehicle over the ocean? I don't think they put it in the plane's cargo or you didn't drive it overseas? How did you do it? I feel like i am on vacation with you! Such good posts of your trip! I will be disappointed when it ends! But you always have interesting posts!
Thanks for the kind words. I'm really pleased you're enjoying touring with us. We have a son who lives in Ireland so we bought the motor-home there in 2015. We left the vehicle with him until this trip when we toured Ireland for a few weeks then put the vehicle on a ferry which took us to Cherbourg in France. Early in September we'll take the ferry back to Ireland.
@JudyEv Tha explains it! i never thought of you buying one overseas even though i knew your son lives in Ireland! Thank you for explaining to me!
@divalounger (2252)
I love mushrooms and fungi of all sorts --they are such an alien thing really--and very cool--your trip sounds wonderful!
Thanks. We've been having a lot of interesting experiences.
@Tracy04 (10527)
Wow! Pretty fungi there
It was actually a brighter orange but I didn't capture it very well.
Pretty good size slug there, we get some big ones here, especially fat ones.
I didn't believe it was a slug at first until we touched it gently and it moved.
@Platespinner (16520)
That is a rather large slug. My husband likes to take photos of colourful fungi as well...the stuff always looks rather striking against the rich brown or green back drop where it tends to grow best.
This was a brighter orange than it appears here. They certainly catch your eye.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
Most fungi is pretty. The slug is huge. They love the rain. Hope you are still enjoying your trip.
Yes thanks. Mostly it's great. Just occasionally we seem to drive all day with nothing much to show for it.
@vandana7 (63819)
In India, finding campsite would be a problem, because we haven't any. lol
France is full of campsites. It seems half the population is camping at the moment.
That slug is like a small snake.
It's the biggest one I've every seen.
@sueznewz2 (9883)
• Alicante, Spain
great photo.... Do you like it when you meet english speakers .. is your french improving... ?