Gardening Is Not My Thing

The Hosta plants aren’t looking very good. The grass seed I planted in the front yard in a bare spot is not filling the whole thing in. A gardener I am most definitely not. I’ve been told by several people that the hosta plants will bounce back. Now we just need to get some more grass seed to try to fill in the bare spots again.
If you're having trouble with the grass seed, have you considered just going and buying a roll of sod? That might be a less frustrating experience and get the job done. As for the hosta plants, they take very little to no maintenance except when they need to be thinned out, so they will take root and be fine. You'll probably really enjoy them next year.
Good advice!
@Juliaacv I didn't know you could get sod in a roll.
@1creekgirl (6628)
We must be related, Susan! I can't grow anything. I even managed to kill a snake plant that everyone said would live.
@1creekgirl I've never been good at any kind of gardening.
@Susan2015 My indoor plant are doing terrible also, I'm just not good with flowers!:(
@PatZAnthony (11502)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Hosta plants grow like crazy here for some reason. Everything is green and growing, but not because of anything we do here! If it does not happen by itself (except for growing plants for food) it is not going to happen on our land.
• Riga, Latvia
You sound just like me. We have potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers and one iffy pumpkin in our garden. I attempt to talk to them and coach them on but as far as knowing how to get them really going who knows????
Check the general dollar store. I bought a $3.00 bag of grass seed there and tossed on my sisters yard after they grated the dirt flat and now she has a nice grass filled yard. I dont know what kind it is but who cares, its grass . Hostas just need water, they will take off.
If you cut the stalks and leaves from the hosta plants and leave the roots, they come back looking much better. I cannot grow grass from seed in summer, but I can in fall and early spring, and I do not know why.
• Bournemouth, England
The fact that you're planting something, whatever the result, and you're concerned about the hostas says to me that you ARE a gardener.
@prashu228 (16212)
Oh ..I love gardening . I have few plants on my terrace
@HazySue (13940)
Gardening isn't my thing either. It's a good thing it's my husband thing or we would be living in the middle of a big brown patch.
@thelme55 (8874)
I have hostas in my tropical garden and they are growing well.
@Blondie2222 (15522)
I'm not good at gardening either so I don't do it. We don't have a garden so if we are given tomato plants etc we just plant them in a pot until they grow big then we buy a bigger pot.
@dollaboy (6400)
Even I am not much or any into gardening
Am not good with gardening either, I just found out i am supposed to put water in the bamboo plant in the bathroom. My sister told me and watered it for me! I forget to water all plants! Even with indoor plants. I tend not to notice them! My sister has to come with her neighbor to clean my yard of leftover plants from my mom yet over a year ago.
I cannot grow hostas - they need shade and our yard has no shade at all. You need to overseed that bare spot and keep it watered daily until it sprouts.
I am also horrible at gardening. I can't seem to be able to keep a plant alive, not even the "easy" ones.
I'm a hopeless gardener too. My mother waited 8 years for her hosta plant to flower but eventually it did. She was really thrilled with it.
@LoriAMoore (12150)
You really can't kill hostas, they always bounce back.
@poehere (12031)
• French Polynesia
Some people have green thumbs and some have brown. It seems that your thumb is a little on the brown side. Don't worry gardening isn't for everyone. You have to love to garden in order to be a good gardener. I love plants and gardening so I can normally make them grow.
I leave the gardening up to my husband nothing ever grows for me.
@seldom (2461)
• Albania
I like it but I don't know everything. It takes me time to get my plants to look decent. LOL