My Friend Gave Up Counting!

@franxav (5071)
This my friend came from Europe. He is an avid smoker but during the dinner he said he was trying to quit smoking. I said all the encouraging words I had. Next day, he smoked 12 cigarettes. I encouraged him to cut it down to 8 next day. Well, he ended up smoking 9. Still, I was happy that the number had gone down. Next day, I hoped he would succeed to bring the number down to 6 or 7. But, I was sad to know that he had bought two packets of cigarettes from the nearby shop and smoked all of them! This afternoon, I asked him how many he smoked today. He answered he had given up counting! Why do you think he gave up trying to quit smoking?
I really don't know but there is no good reason for you to worry about him. If he won't or can't stop, nothing you can say or do will help. I wouldn't be adding his problems to my own.
@franxav (5071)
You're right. I have no good reason to worry about him.
@franxav And sometimes with such people, once they decide you're no long going to make a fuss, they decide to do the right thing themselves. Hopefully your friend will see how dangerous his behaviour is.
I think he might just be stressed out, and he should try taking it slower. Nicotine is simply addictive, and it's not easy to quit. I also think, its because your encouraging words weren't inspiration to quit, they were simply temporary motivation. He needs a real reason to quit, because he won't quit for himself.
@franxav (5071)
He does need a real reason.
@dollaboy (6232)
Its difficult to quit smoking, The person requires to have strong will power
@franxav (5071)
I agree with you. One has to have strong will power to quit smoking.
It is a horrid addiction, very tough to quit. I hope he will be able to one day. It is because HE has to want to do it, it is the only way. He had lost his conviction is what I would say. A very cool photo.
It's very hard to quit. He needs to have the right incentive to do so. He also wants to quit more than he wants to smoke. I don't think your friend is there yet. He tried for you, not himself.