How Long Must A Post/Discussion Be In MyLot?

@mandala100 (25004)
Hong Kong
In today's modern world every one wants instant gratification where everything is almost ready on a mere push of a button which reminds me of instant coffee and instant noodles. There's the concept of user friendly and reader friendly thing in the internet since most people don't have the luxury of time to read everything and for reason of short attention span or boredom on the part of the reader. Gone are the days for kilometric paragraphs which modern and young readers considers to be boring and not reader friendly at all. While it is true that the length of any given post/discussion will depend upon the nature of the topic/subject and of course the style of the writer, it is also important to bear in mind that we are not writing for ourselves alone but for the benifits of the readers. We must always be considerate to the time, interest and welfare of the reading public. We exist for our readers and not our readers for ourselves. Do you have the patience to read a long post or discussion? How long or how many paragraphs is the "ideal" post or discussion should be? How many sentence do you usually use in a single paragraph? How many paragraph do you usually have in your post or discussion?
@Asylum (46809)
• Manchester, England
You need to simply choose a happy medium. It is not possible to add much of interest in a short discussion, while an extremely long one would also be impractical.
@mandala100 (25004)
@Asylum That's a very practical and common sense approach my friend and indeed that's so very helpful.
@Asylum (46809)
• Manchester, England
@mandala100 Glad that you find my response helpful.
@mandala100 (25004)
@Asylum Sure it does my friend.
It all depends on what I have to say. Sometimes my discussions are longer than others but I always make sure it's an easy read with spacing paragraphs. If a discussion is interesting and easy to read I don't mind if its longer.
@mandala100 (25004)
@LovingMyBabies That's a very reasonable observation my friend.
@hereandthere (23031)
while it is good that mylot has no character count or word count requirement before we can post anything, however, there are super short posts that lack detail i'm forced to ask a question to understand. i have also read long posts that are interesting because i learned something from them.
@mandala100 (25004)
@hereandthere That's right my friend and thank you for your comment.
well depend on what each one of us are interested.Does not matter long or short.I can cope with it. I have patience.Where are you going/not to take the time to read it.
@mandala100 (25004)
@amadeoThank you my friend for your comment.
@Rhombus (315)
• South Africa
I read rather quickly, so as long as the topic is interesting I don't care how long it is. Oh, I love instant coffee and instant noodles so those words inspired me to read your whole post. (Their one sentence of fame)
@mandala100 (25004)
@Rhombus Thank you so much for your comment my friend.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Yeah no I am not very good with very long posts. And it must be some spacing.
@mandala100 (25004)
@TiarasOceanView Me too my friend. A very long post always turned me off my friend.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@mandala100 Yes it is too much.
@mandala100 (25004)
@TiarasOceanView That's right my friend.
@lovebuglena (2907)
If a post is interesting or provides useful info for me then I will read a long post. It will not turn me off as it might some other readers. And if I see a post that is very short (a few lines) I will reply if I have something to add. Some people might automatically leave the post without commenting. When I write a discussion I never worry about length. I just write what I want to write and stop when I feel like there is no point in writing any further.
The only time 'long' posts bother me is when it is one giant block of text with no breaks/paragraph structure at all.
@JolietJake I can't stand reading long block of text with no separation at all.
@mandala100 (25004)
@lovebuglena That's a good point my friend.
• Austin, Texas
money
The “beauty” of MyLot is (and it really is a beautiful thing) … the platform accommodates people who are long-winded (like to write lengthy discussions) or the ones who don't talk that much (just want to share a quick thought or ask a question). It also accommodates the people who don't want to post at all and just want to chit chat, share their thoughts and opinions with somebody else who has already started a discussion. So you hear people say I can't blog or I can write articles. No problem. You don't need to at MyLot. Just think of it as if you're having a discussion with family and friends. They stop by for a visit and you get to talking. Before you know it, you've spent hours discussing everything from little Joey's first day at school to world news events. Hours spent engaging with each other and not a penny earned for your “worthwhile contributions” to the conversation. You do the same thing at MyLot and earn money for it! It used to be when people said “A penny for your thoughts.”, you would give your thoughts but they didn't give you a penny! At MyLot, at least you can get that penny!! You might even earn a few dollars. When I think of all of the interesting discussions and debates that I've heard riding on a public bus, all I can think now is 'All those bus riders could have joined MyLot and earned some money!'
@mandala100 (25004)
@cmoneyspinner Thank you for your insight and comment my friend.
I like it when we are not limited by the amount of words or characters we have to write. It shouldn't be about length but about quality and effectiveness of what we are writing.
• Dallas, Texas
If all people wrote the same way it would indeed be dull and boring.
@mandala100 (25004)
@lookatdesktop I agree with you my friend.
@m_audrey6788 (10307)
I am not really sure about the long or short discussion thing because for me as long as the writer made me or readers see what he is pointing out and participates good and openly..I guess it is a good discussion..Most of the time I got to participate with posts that interests me or simply I got their point
@mandala100 (25004)
@m_audrey6788 Thats a sound view my friend.
@mandala100 ..Yes..I guess
@mandala100 (25004)
@m_audrey6788 Ok my friend and I'll see you later on.
Any thing over a million words is too long and of course it should be broke into sections to make it easier to read.
@Rhombus (315)
• South Africa
Nope, no food mention. I'm not going to read it or comment...
@Rhombus Too late, you already did
@Rhombus (315)
• South Africa
@JolietJake Besides the evidence in black and white, you have no proof.
@acelawrites (10624)
I don't like to read too long posts; yes because of time consideration. I prefer "short and sweet" ones, but not too short like it being just one or two sentences.
@mandala100 (25004)
@acelawrites That's pretty reasonable my friend.
@cacay1 (32062)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@acelawrites , Unless a blog site my friend, the longer our post would be, w the better is the pay. By the way, when you try to open, LB, what you will see there is Error 503, goodbye Literacy Base. I truly missed that site.
@mandala100 (25004)
@cacay1 That site was already no more my friend?
@kiran8 (14841)
• Mangalore, India
I prefer a longer discussion post any day to that of a short one that does not give out much information and scope for discussion. The more material you have the better responses you can come up with !
@mandala100 (25004)
@kiran8 Ok my friend and thank you for your views.
I try to keep mine short. A long one if I read it, depends what it's about.
@mandala100 (25004)
@Susan2015 That's right my friend.
Writing like anything else is a matter of personal taste. Saying what you want or need to say is the important thing. This site does not require literary experts, but you should be able to say what you want. Subject matter will determine what you write. I read both short and long posts since variety is a good thing.
@mandala100 (25004)
@sumofallfears You are right my friend.
@dramagirl26 (3439)
• Ringgold, Virginia
The post should be as long as the writer feels it should be.
@mandala100 (25004)
@dramagirl26 That's right my friend depending upon the nature of the topic or subject and the writer's style without boring the readers my friend.
@velvet53 (15379)
• Palisade, Colorado
Most of the time I can read a long post unless it starts getting real boring or not going anywhere. I think your next two questions would depend on the topic and how much a person really wants to say. Now to number four. Mine varies as to what I am writing about and such.
@mandala100 (25004)
@velvet53 Thank you so much for your comment my friend.
@velvet53 (15379)
• Palisade, Colorado
@mandala100 Welcome
@mandala100 (25004)
@velvet53 How are you today my friend? I'll see you later.
@RubyHawk (21451)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I usually don't write long ones But enough to add enough details. That's also what I like to read. But I don't mind longer articles.
@mandala100 (25004)
@Rubyhawk Thank you for your comment my friend.
@RubyHawk (21451)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@mandala100 You're welcome.
@mandala100 (25004)
@RubyHawk Thank you my friend.
@dollaboy (6337)
Haha would have loved to answer but even this post /Discussion is pretty long
@mandala100 (25004)
@dollaboy Really my friend?
@dollaboy (6337)
@mandala100 haha no love lost haha
@mandala100 (25004)
@dollaboy The feeling is mutual my friend.
@Paige32 (1603)
I get tired of very long posts and sometimes read the first two paragraphs and then the last. I love when a post has just few lines with the topic clearly stated.
@mandala100 (25004)
@Paige32 You are absolutely correct my friend.
@Paige32 (1603)
@mandala100 (25004)
@Paige32 You are always welcome my friend.