Just got a job offer. Should I accept it?

Pleasant Hill, California
You've heard enough stories about the disadvantaged kids I work with. Truth is, I only work there 75% time (30 hour per week). That frees me up to work at my friend's preschool about 20 hours/week, and to teach a class at the local college. That comes to about 60 hours per week, plus music gigs and speaker refinishing. Yes, I'm a workaholic. The other day, my boss at the "disadvantaged kids" job asked me if I could work at 100%, rather than 75%. Would you do it? It would mean more income for me: more trips to Paris when I retire, more guitars and mandolins if I want them, more gold-digger girlfriends if I am interested in them, a retirement house in Montana with a pool if I can stand the Winters. I'm over 50-years-old and want to slow down. But I also can't slow down. What do you think?
@Platespinner (15469)
How much would you miss your preschool time (your love for the little ones come through loud and clear) and would you miss teaching (I suspect not so much since you don't mention that nearly as often). There is a lot more to fulfillment and success that the bottom line.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm not ready to give up teaching at the college, though I usually only do one or two courses per semester now.
@TheHorse ...and that's the job you DON'T talk about.... If I were you, I don't think it would be a difficult choice at all.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Platespinner I enjoy teaching at the college. But the posts I make about things we discuss in class don't get much response. My what I had for breakfast posts do better.
That would have to be your decision, but if you want those gold diggers better get busy Seriously if you think they need you and you love it, go for it. I may never retire either, although I want to travel the US, as you well know I would have to have money soooo?
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm sure those gold-diggers would appreciate me for who I am, read my poetry, listen to my songs, let me buy them diamonds, etc.
@TheHorse Money can't buy true friendship or true love. It most certainly will bring out the gold diggers. If I had a lot of money I wouldn't want fake friends just cause they want to party off my work.
Make a decision, if you find you're more or less immediately a bit unhappy about it, you were meant to decide the other way. Not sure it will help but good luck.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Thanks. I think I'll give the extra hours a miss.
@sol_cee (11225)
• Japan
More pros than cons. GO go go!
• Pleasant Hill, California
But I'm already working about 70 hours per week! (Playing devil's advocate.)
@sol_cee (11225)
• Japan
@TheHorse that's nothing. More time to sleep when you know what I mean..haha
@sol_cee (11225)
• Japan
@TheHorse Great! Then sign the contract! GO go go!
@vandana7 (53333)
I would take it up....my reasoning being that you enjoy being with littlies and they are fond of you too ...and time you enjoyed your life. Agreed unfortunate ones need you too but there are others who could fill that void, right? And you would be there for them, if they do need to contact somebody till they can find their bearing. Gold digger girlfriends? Evil Grin..Count me in...we can go out to that extremely expensive Indian restaurant and you can foot the bill. After eating I will go back to DE..
• Pleasant Hill, California
Sounds good. The "all you can eat" lunch buffet is about $10 US. I go there with my papers sometimes. The job offer is from the Company that serves under-served kids. I'd rather work more hours with the middle class kids. I'm feeling old and tired.
@vandana7 (53333)
@TheHorse .. Aw...almost 2.5 times what you would pay for it in my city. Still...that does seem miserly..Evil Grin. And why are you feeling old and tired? If you are that old, imagine how old I must be feeling..
• Pleasant Hill, California
@vandana7 Just been working a tad too hard. Need a vacation.
If I felt I could do it without a problem I would do it. I'd give myself a certain amount of time of $ amount I have to have before I quit all together.. I'd take them up on this because they may find someone who will do the 100% and then you might be out.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I will not be out. I have had incredible productivity (billing) numbers, and they need male mentors for male children.
@TheHorse ......Well, that is good then. I tend to see the negative in scenarios.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@celticeagle I see them too. But I really do try to overcome them. It's fun being in a field where men are at an advantage! Most ECE educators and child psychologists are women.
@RubyHawk (16208)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I don't know, everything you do sounds like too much work to me. But if you love it I would take the money.
• Pleasant Hill, California
That's the wacky thing. I LOVE the work at the preschool. I LIKE the job with the troubled kids, and it pays better. But I don't love it. And the College job pays the best.
@RubyHawk (16208)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@TheHorse You have a problem. Maybe you should write down all the pros and cons and see which job comes out ahead.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@RubyHawk I think I'm going to stand pat. I need more time, not more money, right now.
• Eugene, Oregon
Sounds like a hard proposition to refuse. You could still teach that class (what class is it?). And you could probably retire early and head for Montana.
• Pleasant Hill, California
It's Introduction to Psychology. But I'm already feeling "maxed out."
• Eugene, Oregon
@TheHorse That makes it tough then.
Sadly only you can answer that, do you want to work 100% at one place? Would you miss the job at the preschool? OR is the money just what you want?
• Pleasant Hill, California
I enjoy teaching at my friend's preschool more than driving all over the Bay Area and taking troubled boys on hikes. But I'm probably "contributing more to society" by doing that latter.
Maybe you need to weigh the what I wants with the what's most important to YOU catagories @TheHorse sometimes as we get older it's about doing what we enjoy but others want to do what benefits others. Which is most important to you?
@TheHorse You sound like a very caring man that you give of your time to troubled boys. God bless you. But if your heart really isn't into it it would be best to let it go. In the end you are the one who has to make up his mind. God doesn't expect you to burn yourself out by working 70 plus hours a week. That's plain insanity. Again, you've got to take care of yourself.
What do YOU want to do? I´d tell you to be the 100% of your time with disadvantaged kids, not because of the trips to Paris, but because you are really capable of loving them.
• Pleasant Hill, California
But I've been working with disadvantaged kids for 20 years. I enjoy the middle class kids in Berkeley even more. (Playing devil's advocate.)
@TheHorse So, what does you heart say? ( throwing the ball to you)
• Pleasant Hill, California
@marguicha My heart says keep on doing what I do. But don't take on anything more.
@LeaPea2417 (11706)
• Toccoa, Georgia
If you think you can do it, I would go for it.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think it might be too much. Including progress notes, I'm working about 70 hours/week as it is, especially when I'm teaching a college class.
@LeaPea2417 (11706)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@TheHorse Oh ok, yes 70 hours a week already, that is a lot.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@LeaPea2417 I'm trying to find a balance. I have the most fun playing with smart preschool kids. But that's not very lucrative. Music and speaker restoration are hobbies that earn money. I will give up teaching and working with troubled kids first, as they're the most labor-intensive.
• Richfield, Utah
Tough call, I don't envy your decision. Do what's best for you, Carpe that diem, etc. Ask yourself, am I happy where I'm at now? You'll find your answer.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Heh, I already gave my boss my answer Can you guess what it was?
• Richfield, Utah
@TheHorse I'm guessing if you love the job that much and wanna help out, the answer doesn't matter, lol if you're going to do something, do what you love. Awesome choice
• Pleasant Hill, California
@librarygeek1980 I like paying music n non-gig situations best. No, I like working at the preschool and getting lots of hugs best.
@dodo19 (25564)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
If you think you can handle it, then I would say go for it. It does seem like it may be a good think. It does mean a little more money for you.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm really thinking it would be a bit too much.
@dodo19 (25564)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@TheHorse So, in that case, leave things as they are. There's no point in going for it, if it may be too much for you.
Grats on the job offer. It is really up to you. If you take the job full-time, do you have to give up the others?
• Pleasant Hill, California
No, but I'd be working 80 hours a week. 70 feels like enough!
@TheHorse that is indeed a lot of work hours.
I'd do it but then I love kids so.. lol
• Pleasant Hill, California
The older kids can be fun or a pain. The younger ones...hey it's the same!
@TheHorse not for me. Most as good lol.
@sallypup (17414)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Does the work feed your soul while allowing a little you time?
• Pleasant Hill, California
An excellent question If I took the extra hours, I fear the answer would be "no."
If your heart says go then just accept it
• Pleasant Hill, California
It would probably mean an increase from five to seven clients.
I wish I could take a job so I say if your body will allow then good luck.
• Pleasant Hill, California
What's preventing you?
@dollaboy (6401)
I think you should grasp the opportunity with both hands my friend
• Pleasant Hill, California
But isn't 70 hours a week or so enough?
@TheHorse Yes, absolutely. Actually its too much! The norm is 40 hours. I hope you give yourself a break and stop trying to be superman!
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Butchcass4 I am a bit of a workaholic. And I want to retire comfortably, whether it's 10, 15 or 20 years from now.
• Denmark
Accept the offer and then write a post about your burn-out! It doesn't matter if you like or hate a job. Your body can only take so and so much. You can experience a breakdown even in your dream job. You're a psychologist. Why don't you analyse yourself? Find out why you can't slow down. There must be a reason. Do you think you're indispensable? Do you think you're the best and nobody else can do your job as well as you can do it? Will the earth stop turning when you retire? You certainly have enough money in your piggy bank to buy a ticket for a budget flight to Paris. There you can play your guitar in the streets to buy food. Take your sleeping bag with you so that you can sleep under a bridge.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Well, yes. Do you think you're indispensable? Do you think you're the best and nobody else can do your job as well as you can do it?
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'd rather a nice hotel! But I am leaning toward not taking on the extra hours.
• Denmark
@TheHorse Are you asking me my own questions back? If so, I find this a strange conversation technique. I retired nine years ago so the topic doesn't apply to me anymore.