Groovy 60s rock/pop: #7 "Midnight Confessions" The Grass Roots (1968)

Los Angeles, California
The Grass Roots enjoyed several years as hitmakers. Some of you may remember “Temptation Eyes” (1970) and “Sooner or Later” (1971). Like the Monkees, the Grass Roots were a “made up” band. Producer Lou Adler and songwriters P.F. Sloan and Steve Berrie wanted a house band for Dunhill Records. They selected a group from the San Mateo battle of the bands in 1965 and put them to work backing the Mamas and the Papas and other Dunhill acts. They also played Hollywood clubs. The third lineup featured vocals and the Grass Roots broke through in 1967 with their first gold single “Let’s Live for Today.” From the album “Golden Grass,” “Midnight Confessions” was written by Lou Josk and originally recorded by the Evergreen Blues. Sung by Rob Grill, the song about a man’s love for an unobtainable married woman went gold reaching Billboard #5. The Grass Roots are still around albeit with new members.
The Greass Roots - Midnight Confessions
A worthy album
Of course you do!
I sure do remember this one another one with a distinctive sound.
@FourWalls (13795)
Good song. My favorite hit of theirs is "Two Divided By Love." It's the math lover in me.
@1hopefulman (28612)
So that is what “Midnight Confessions” is about? I heard it many times but never listened to what the song was about.
Dancing to this..love it John..
@velvet53 (16623)
• Palisade, Colorado
This sure brings back some good memories. I haven't heard it in years.
There's some Grassroots history that I did not know.
Another great one!!! High school memory producer!