Should I quit blogging and look for a real job?

@peachpurple (11804)
Malaysia
I had been thinking about this matter on and off. I had resigned from my job 10 years ago after I gave birth to my 2nd child. Since then, I had became a full-time housewife, disconnected myself from the outside world, not knowing what is happening in the society. I had been blogging for 9 years now, which means, I did earn a small side income all this while. However, this small income could not cover up the expenses incurred at home. Not to worry much, my hubby can fill up the gaps. I heard that staying at home for a long time might result to Dementia and Alzheimer disease because lack of brain usage. Hence, I was thinking of looking for a real job to keep myself updated and to sharpen up my rusty brain too. If I really do, I might have to give up on blogging in the end. Money is not the issue right now. What do you think? Hope to hear some of your suggestions. Thanks. drawn by peachpurple
I would think that being engaged in blogging on a regular basis would also keep one's brain sharp even when done at home.
@AkoPinay (10943)
True. And of course it depends on the foods we eat too.
@holdoors (1674)
@AkoPinay What is that ?
@AkoPinay (10943)
@holdoors avocado with powdered milk and sugar
There is no cure for Alzheimer's, so the best way to maintain health is by preventing its development. Learn how avocado recipes can improve brain health.
Yes go ahead if you have nothing to keep you at home. It would be good I imagine.
About Dementia and Alzheimer, my Mom is 96, she has NEVER worked, housewife at home all the time. She is a vivid mind, not a sign of Dementia or Alzheimer. Staying at home does not mean not using your brain. That said, I think you should get a real job.
• Denmark
I doubt very much that Dementia and Alzheimer's* come from staying at home but I think you should indeed get a job. You'd widen your horizon, do something for your social skills and get back into the swing of things in general. *One of the most intelligent Germans, a professor of sociology, got Alzheimer's very badly. Nobody can do more thinking than he did. Up to now, the disease hasn't been understood completely.
@holdoors (1674)
I think the key issue here is the social aspect since people who work from home rarely interact with people outside for work purposes. Sometimes, joining some interest or hobby club can also help in that aspect.
@yukimori (8687)
If you want to work, then why not? It sounds like you're in a good position to do what you find fulfilling rather than having to work to make ends meet.
For starters, I don't believe that about dementia and Alzheimers'. There are dozens of people who are very active physically and/or mentally and they still get these diseases. It's just something that's been put out there to make people feel better - and to sell more stuff about 'exercising' your brain etc. At least that's my take on it but if you want a job then good luck with it.
@AkoPinay (10943)
Not only exercise but also with what we eat.
@peachpurple (11804)
@JudyEv Thanks for your comments, those rumors are false ? Not related at all? Anyway, I will get a job soon. @AkoPinay yes the food we eat contribute to it too
@peachpurple I don't believe them. Maybe 'brain games' might help a little but for some I don't think anything is going to help. And the stories about exercising your brain has no doubt led to a huge increase in the sale of puzzle books, etc, so businesses like to keep the rumour going.
@sugartoes (35479)
• Greencastle, Indiana
every penny these days count & if you feel you could get a job to help out better that way I would, but I would keep my blogging going to make a little extra side money too when you could it ALL helps.
@Athinker (1508)
Hope you get your target soon
@MoonMaa (311)
If money is not the issue there are many things you can do to get out of the house than work a job. You could take up a hobby that you like. This way you could still continue with your blogging.
Your children are old enough. So, if you want to seek for a job, do it.
@vsai2008 (7583)
If you want to take up a job, do it :)
@Paige32 (1665)
Blogging is great and keeps your brain active, so I dont think the issue of dementia will come in. I also think you should work to socialise.
Nice drawing. Yes it could be nice and refreshing to get out of the house for a bit.
If it is to earn more definitely you should look for a real job
@thelme55 (12470)
Go ahead. Just a part time job like I do as you will be having a lot of work to do when you are back home from work. But then, it is good to have a job which keep you going outside your home. I can relate to that.
@skydream (1101)
• Agate, Colorado
If it's something you want to do you definitely should. If you're not sure you can always look up volunteer opportunites and see how it is to go back and see if you want to do that.
You don't have to give up one thing to get the other.
@dodo19 (28449)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
When my eldest was born, I chose to be a stay-at-home mom. It's only in the last year that I got some work. It's really up to you what you want to do. If you want some work and stay home, I'm sure you could find some work from home.
@kobesbuddy (23712)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@peachpurple Where do you blog to get paid? I can't find a site that actually pays:(