Need your opinion - 2nd shift vs 3rd shift

Good morning all! I wanted to get some opinions on something work related (surprise surprise) that I am struggling with. Currently I work an 830PM to 430AM shift and dont particularly care for it. It messes with my sleep mainly and I sleep so much better at night. Plus, it is super tiresome to be at work - for me -after 2 am aeven though I have been doing this shift since January. Recently management sent a memo out saying there is an opening on middle shift / 2nd shift starting in September and they are looking for someone to fill it. I have been debating this. I love the hours of middle shift - 230pm to 1030pm - they often have lots of overtime - and I can feel like a normal human by waking up at 7am and running my morning errands. I would also not have to flip flop my schedule to a days one on the weekend. However - (yes, theres a but) - this 2nd shift schedule would not give me many of the important days off Id like. Currently on night shift I have off Christmas Eve, Thanksgiving and my sisterd 30th birthday which will be a big celebration. I kind of live for these types of fun family and friend gettogethers. But boy would I love to sleep at night. What would you do?
• Lakewood, Colorado
I would take the 2nd shift in a heartbeat Maezee. In the long run graveyard is detrimental I feel..that is for me anyway. I always loved swing shift myself. Graveyard shift killed me. Dayshift was best.
I totally agree. But then I wont get to celebrate Christmas, Thanksgiving or my sisters birthday with her. I forgot to mention too that I may be able to get on that 2nd shift in January, when we all pick our schedules based on seniority (last year the 2nd shift was filled). But i do agree with you 100%! I hope you are having an awesome day.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@maezee Yes Maezee..well I would be willing to give up the other stuff(holidays) but that is just me. I hope you can get it then!!! So awesome and happy for you.
@TiarasOceanView Thanks! I am still deciding. Hope you are having a grat day and as always...thaks for your insight :)
I think it would be a good shift for you, even though you lose those important days. Especially since third shift is messing with your sleep schedule. It's not for everyone. I loved third shift and could handle it well.
Oh nice. Some people seem to love it and others not so much. I hink part of my problem is I adjust back to a daytime schedule on the weekends. Most other night shifters at my job sort of keep their schedule. But I just dont have any interest in staying up that late on my days off. So who knows. How long did you work night shift for?
@maezee Not sure, several years. I did keep my schedule on my days off. Otherwise I probably would have run into trouble. One shift I can't do is swing, which it sounds like you're almost doing with day shift weekends. That would upset the inner clock and cause a lot of sleep issues. My suggestion then would be to definitely go to second since you wouldn't have those issues on it. As far as the holidays and your sister's birthday, be flexible. See if you can celebrate a day when everyone is mutually off.
My brother works mornings, and nights. So he works holidays .. sucks but someone has to do it.. I hope you can figure out which one would be best for you.. pros vs cons
I know. I am thinking about writing down a list!ugh. And you are right...somebodys got to work the weird shifts lol
@maezee list would be good.
@skydream (907)
• Agate, Colorado
I've done weird schedules of overnight and normal to late evening and I would definitely take the 2nd shift. It sucks you wouldn't have big days off but with a more normal schedule you would be able to plan more days with them in general. If you're not getting sleep it can have very bad effects.
I agree. Sleep is so important! But I still wonder if I am still adjusting. And will eventually be able to sleep soundly for 6-7 hours after working until 0430. Hasnt happened yet though lol
@dramagirl26 (3439)
• Ringgold, Virginia
If the middles shift would be easier for you, I say go for it.
Easier but I would miss out on several big family functions :(
Ahhhh what a dilemma! How come everything in life always seems to come with a catch? I think you will have to go with your gut feeling on this one, do what is right and best for you and maybe work around everything else somehow.
Thanks! I appreciate the input!
@sugartoes (32381)
• Greencastle, Indiana
well you know that no one can tell you what to do BUT if it was me I'd wage the odds of which is better to do & see which way you lean more to on doing.
How do I wage the odds though? The pros and cons of each seem to be equal...agh!
I am still trying to wrap my mind around the idea of my being able to work any of the two shifts you mentioned. If family is your top priority, then I would say your current shift. Family may be able to accommodate you and have celebrations that fit the schedule you desire, but that may be difficult for all to do.
Yes! That is one of the benefits. While its weird hours, I can still see family and friends before work which is awesome. 2nd shift really doesnt offer that. Thanks for your help.
@Blondie2222 (16889)
I would take the 2nd shift but if you switch and won't get the time off then don't do it. Or if you apply for it tell them about your scheduled time off that you have already and maybe they will still approve it. Whatever you decide to choose I wish you good luck.
@bunnybon7 (31591)
• Holiday, Florida
its up to you in the end but i would take second then hope i could get back used to sleeping nights
@Tracy04 (10659)
I tend to choose the 2.30pm - 10.30pm shift. I try to at least keep my body clock sleep at least around midnight.
If I were in your situation, I would choose to be transferred to 2nd shift. I used to work on graveyard shift. And during those time, I sleep in the morning. And what I noticed is that even though I sleep around 6-7 hours, I felt like I didn't sleep well still. There were days when I felt like I'm already tired despite the fact that I just woke up. And I got headaches more often than usual. So when an opportunity came, i decided to work during normal hours. Sleeping at night is still much better compared to sleeping at daytime.