Our Air Conditioner Broke

Yesterday our air conditioner went out. This morning I called our rental company as soon as they opened and was informed that it would be "at least a couple weeks" before anyone could come out and take a look at anything since the HVAC company they use is backed up. My boyfriend and I are NOT happy about this, as it's in our lease agreement that we are renting an apartment with central air, and here it is the dead of summer and we are without any type of cooling system. We currently only own one fan because we've never needed more than that. Anyway, I lamented about this on Facebook, and immediately was told by an acquaintance that we should just pay to replace the air conditioner ourselves and have the cost withheld from our rent. Well, as far as I'm aware, there is only one HVAC unit on the roof which distributes air and heat to all four units in our building. (I could be mistaken as I've never climbed up on the roof, but from what I can see there is only the one industrial sized unit up there.) So I said that and he agreed that would be too expensive to replace. But then some old dude, who is somewhat of a local celebrity around here, happened upon our conversation and felt the need to tell me that there's no way we share one common unit. He demanded to know if we control the temperature in our own apartment and whether we pay our own electricity bill, which I thought was just flat out rude and his intentions were to just make me look like an idiot. Thinking I might be crazy, despite having written and edited many-a article on HVAC systems over the years, I went to google, and I am correct. Central air means it comes from one central location. I even double checked with my boyfriend and he verified that we share one common HVAC system which distributes air and heat to the different units. So I'm not crazy, and I'm not an idiot. At least if I'm mistaken about how the HVAC system works here, I'm not alone in being mistaken about it. I asked multiple people who have both written about HVAC systems and have lived in apartments and they agreed with me that it's possible for multiple units to have air and heat come from one location. So why did that man feel the need to try to make me look like an idiot? Even if I am mistaken about what kind of HVAC system our building has, we still can't replace it ourselves without permission from the landlord, and they won't authorize that because they said they'd send someone to fix it in a couple weeks. But now I'm hot and ticked off that two men I don't even really know jumped on me about this when all I was doing was sharing that we are stuck without AC for at least two weeks, and it's going to be 100 degrees every day for at least the next 10 days. Why do people always feel the need to try to make me look stupid? If they have nothing nice to say, why can't they just keep their mouths shut and move along?
I'm so sorry! Being without AC that long is torture. I don't know about where you are but here if you hold the rent for anything like that you have to file a complaint, by writing a letter saying what's going on first. Then they will tell the landlord to fix the problem or they will do something about it. It's a process. I really hope your ac gets fixed way sooner than they are saying! Is there any way you can get a window unit used off craigslist til its fixed?
@Genipher (5229)
Finding a window unit is a good idea! Oh...and the landlord should buy it for them and then keep it on hand, after the issue is fixed, in case there are future problems like this.
My parents have a water cooler that they said we can borrow...so we're going to see how that goes. My worry about a window unit is that since we're on the second floor, it might fall out of the window (my parents always have to prop theirs up on something when they use one) or the cat might jump on it and knock it out/fall out and kill himself in the process. (Maybe that's an irrational fear, but I worry enough as it is that he'll knock the screen out of the living room window and topple to the ground.)
• Lakewood, Colorado
Yeah central air is not individual like here in these apartments..there is no way I could replace it if it broke. Sorry it broke first of all..and is it just yours is out and no one elses? Beside that is beyond ridiculous and maybe even touching illegal for your place not to fix it asap..not 2 weeks from now!!! People are stupid with their comments..dont entertain them. Its less stress.
I haven't asked the neighbors yet if theirs are out, I don't really like the people next door and I'm not sure if the two families downstairs speak English... But I might go around later and ask. Yesterday morning I kept getting a whiff of something that smelled like a burnt motor, so I'm guessing that's where the smell was coming from. I know I shouldn't pay any mind to rude people, but one of my pet peeves is when people go out of their way to try to make me look stupid. I'm not stupid and I don't appreciate some man trying to paint me like a moron. I ended up deleting the post because I didn't want to deal with trying to explain things to him and then have him mansplain how I'm wrong and have to deal with other jerks jumping in and telling me I'm stupid, too. Because I am a weirdo magnet! :P
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Srbageldog I understand that Stacy...he is a total ignoramus really. Yes a burnt smell is definitely something to be investigated. I cant get over the fact that they are leaving you without it for 2 weeks!!
@TiarasOceanView I question the legality of that too. Plus they kept asking for permission to enter our apartment even though I said I would be home... They better not just randomly show up trying to let themselves in! They don't have a key to our current deadbolt so they can't come in, but I thought it was weird how the lady I spoke to kept pushing for permission to enter the unit.
I like other's idea to get a window unit. I would think in that high of temperature it could lead to hear stroke if it gets too hot even in the indoor area? I am not sure if it is possible but know I will worry about you and your boyfriend. Good luck and hope the problem resolves itself. Sending cool thoughts your way
We were talking about trying to get a window unit but the windows in our apartment aren't designed to support one. There is no way to secure one in any of our windows, especially since we are on the second floor. Otherwise we would go out and buy one.
@Srbageldog I forgot about that. I have the wrong type of windows, also. Hopefully, you will get the air back soon. Have you thought of anything else? Is it still very hot?
@Marty1 It's cooler at the moment but it will heat up during the day. We bought a thermometer so we can document how hot it is getting inside our apartment. I think there is a type of cooler that sits on the floor and you run a hose out the window, but the only ones we have found locally are very expensive, especially for something we would only be using temporarily. WalMart has some on their website so maybe we could order one and do site to store pickup... But knowing our luck it wouldn't arrive until after the AC has been fixed.
So sorry. Our heat is connected to other apartments, and since we're an end house or house stays cold if everyone else blasts their heat in the fall/winter. So it sucks but also like only having one main neighbor. Lol.
Exactly. See, I'm not a nut or making up a scenario where different units share one heating/air unit! We also share a water heater. Sucks when the neighbors use up all the hot water, or one of them decides to mess with the temperature on it!
@Srbageldog yikes yeah that would suck
@Genipher (5229)
I would think you'd be able to take money off your rent for this, since having A/C was part of your lease agreement...? I wonder why they can't go through another company to fix the problem?
I agree we should be able to take money off our rent for it, but they probably won't agree to that! And I'm guessing that is the company they are contracted with.
Can you purchase a window air conditioner for the time being? An extra expense, but you sure have some high temps to endure.
We might have to do that. I don't think I can live like this for two weeks!
Do not listen to all those who talk without knowing the problem. Without the permission of your landlord, you cannot change the A/C. It is very possible to have one unit to serve 4 apartments, so this one could be the case. It's a shame that you have to wait so long to have the problem fixed.