Not Overthinking My Giving

Today, as I was filling up my gas tank after just getting a car wash, a woman walked up to me. She started explaining her situation, asking if I could help her with at least a gallon of gas to get to where she's going. Then she brought up her six year old child. Then I noticed a man walking with her six year old child into the gas station. I didn't judge. I just gave. I actually believe I "over gave", because she asked for about 3 bucks. I gave her a 5 dollar bill. She seemed grateful in essence. But I still didn't want to judge, I just wanted to help. My residual thoughts about giving to her situation though is this: Why help a family that has a man around that looks capable of working for income, and because I seen her talking to someone else, I wondered if she was asking for money. I asked God to bless her situation. But then I thought about my own situation. God is blessing me with work, and I've needed help with gas money, more than once. All that to say: judge not, because I've needed help too. Even when something doesnt add up visually, it's best to just release and let go what I had in my heart to give and keep moving forward and upward.
@mandala100 (25344)
@blacksilk God bless you my friend for being a Good Samaritan.
Thank you for the blessings. Many blessings to you too. I hope you are a Good Samaritan too, we need them in this world.
@mandala100 (25344)
@blacksilk Yes we need all the Good Samaritan that we could have in the world my friend.
@mandala100 like you I'm sure.
@BarBaraPrz (17556)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
That was kind of you. The man may be out of work, or not a family member at all, just a friend. He could have been taking the child to the washroom, not necessarily wanting to buy something. There's all kinds of explanations.
That's true. So many scenarios. So little time I had to ask what was the issue, but then again it's none of my business. And I'm sure they had to get courage to ask anyway, so why not help if I can.
All kinds that stretch my imagination, and I bet no one could guess why I needed help with gas numerous times to cross borders of states while I was road tripping.
• Lakewood, Colorado
You are so right about this. Let a man walk in another mans shoes before one judges him. Appearances do not always fit the real story. I admire you for opening your heart and wallet. I hope you also will be blessed in your work.
Appearances are never what they seem. But hopefully good people that help other people will make appearances and behind the scenes stories better too for the good of the whole.
• Lakewood, Colorado
That was nice of you to help. Hopefully the recipient put it to good use.
Hopefully. She said she needed it for gas. Hope she continues to get to where she's going, like me, who once needed gas, and now look at me, having a different car and a new job. God is good.
@Tracy04 (10661)
I agree with the last paragraph of your post.
Yeah, it needs to be said because more truths of giving and letting go needs to be done. People sometimes hold it as weight that they've helped someone else. But so what right ? God sees you as soon as.
• Marion, Kansas
I like that you did not let doubt rob you of the blessing of giving. A comment on the able bodied man is that he may LOOK capable of working but there are unseen disabilities. My able looking neighbor has had two health issues this summer that have really kept him from working, so he watched the kids. I will say, thank goodness, this woman was not leaving her six year old chilc unattended.
That holds so much truth and the unseen illness could be a possibility that I wouldn't wish on anyone.