I have now seen it All

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Or at least more than I wanted to see! My daughter and I were out on the lake with the kayaks again this afternoon (she’s enjoying a very brief summer break from college classes). We were paddling along the shore enjoying the beautiful day and the peace of being out on the water away from the hurly burly of life when we noticed movement on the bank out in front of us. It isn’t uncommon for people to pull off the road and hike through the woods for a swim. There are no-trespassing signs posted all along that stretch of shore, but that does little to deter people. The sight that met our eyes, however, was a little startling, we weren’t expecting to see a stark naked middle aged man standing on the rocks looking out over the water. He clearly saw us as well, but didn’t seem too concerned about our presence so I suggested to my daughter that we cross over to the far bank and leave the man to swim in peace. I suspect we weren’t the only boaters to get an eyeful. There were lots of other folks out on the water today as well. I didn't have my phone with me, so no photos of the skinny dipper (not that I would have taken a photo even if I had my phone in hand), the photo is one from the same area of the lake taken a couple of years ago.
• Olney, Illinois
But was he skinny? Was he really skinny-dipping or chunky-dunking?
He was not excessively skinny, but he definitely was not chunky-dunking
Chunky-dunking - I like that term.
We have seen this too, some people want to show it ALL. They did not care about the people fishing either. This one place on the river where I live had s couple woman that sun bathe topless on their dock.
Not me, I'm always well covered up .
• Lakewood, Colorado
Haha that is kind of funny Joanne. I bet you were indeed surprised. Well I hope he had a nice time then. It is good people just let him in peace I guess.
My daughter and I had a good laugh over it. When I suggested we cross to the other side she replied "I guess I really did see what I thought I just saw" . He actually got in the water for a minute, but the next thing we knew he was back up on the shore towelling his backside dry. He definitely wasn't too concerned about having an audience.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Platespinner Haha he was just having a good ol time lol And if you got a photo of him then we would have to see him too lol
@TiarasOceanView I don't think anyone really wants to see that.
Thanks for the laugh, I needed that today! I'm sorry that you can't "unsee" what you saw though.
Glad I was able to make you laugh. Thankfully my daughter has a sense of humor, else she'd be scarred for life.
Does the river belong to anyone? I'm just wondering why there'd be 'no trespassing' signs.
It's a man-made lake, the reservoir for a steam power generating plant. The land around it is either private poperty (lots of lake homes) or it belongs to the power company. A young adult drowned in that area of the lake earlier this summer and there was a big brewhaha about putting up fences (as if that would actually stop someone intent on going for a swim.) On the weekends the county sheriff's department polices the area pretty carefully, but they can't maintain a full time presence during the week. Public access to the lake is limited to watercraft (there are three boat launches) and swimming is allowed from private homes or some of the boat access only areas.
@Platespinner Various well-to-do owners of houses fronting one of our beaches tried to make the beach their own private space but luckily the council overruled their wishes and the beach remains public open space. Thanks for the explanation.
@JudyEv the lake has no publicly owned access. Two of the boat launch accesses are owned by the power company, the other is a private marina that charges an access fee.
@moffittjc (29651)
• Gainesville, Florida
I was out kayaking on the river last weekend, and I saw a pontoon boat that someone had stuck a truck body on. From a distance it looked like a truck floating down the river! haha
That must have been a sight to see!
@moffittjc (29651)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Platespinner It was quite the sight to see! I had to do a double-take to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me!
@LeaPea2417 (11957)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I can't believe the nerve of some people!
I definitely don't have that kind of chutzpah!
@LeaPea2417 (11957)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@Platespinner Me either!
No exactly the perfect outing. I have never skinny dipped nor seen anyone do so, but sometimes shaking off an unusual experience with laughter helps, I also like the chunky dunking term, I will try to remember that one..
I've been skinny dipping, but it was many many years ago, and it was at night in a swimming pool surrounded by a privacy fence and I was by myself (not the safest way to go swimming...but luckily for me it didn't end badly).
Our lake is pretty private too. I haven;t seen any skinny dippers yet, but there could always be a first time!
I've paddled that particular stretch probably a hundred times in the past 3 years and this was the first time I've stumbled across a skinny dipper!
People are crazy!! although it was a shock I'm sure it gave you a laugh and now us too
Not exactly what one expects to see at 2 pm on a Thursday afternoon! I'm glad I have an audience with whom to share the humour of the situation.
@xFiacre (9546)
@platespinner How disturbing! Not a sight you would wish to see if you'd had young kids with you. I always make sure there's no-one around to offend or impress before swimming thusly attired.
This guy definitely wasn't concerned about an audience. I feel for anyone who was passing through the area with small children on board--it's a really high traffic area since it lies between the boat launch and the main body of the lake.
@Inlemay (17092)
• South Africa
we are happy we are not getting a CLEAR view of the skinny dipper
Thankfully we were far enough away that our view wasn't terribly clear. When my husband asked if it was a young guy, I reassured him that this particular specimen was definitely NOT eye-candy.
@UncleJoe (6980)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@dgobucks226 (2936)
Yikes...more sights than you wanted to see
Usually the scenery through there is quite beautiful.
@Platespinner Ha, Ha, Ha! And not as shocking I bet
I experienced Kayaking just once and I'm reminded of that funny experience I've had back then. It was my first time to try paddling, no background on how to use it so instead of moving the kayak , it went upside down and I didn't try it again. LOL
@velvet53 (10234)
That is so funny. I would of been shocked and then would of started laughing. I wonder if someone turned him in for skinny dipping.
Yep, you and your daughter sure got an eye-full. Oh well, I am sure the fellow was enjoying swimming in his birthday suit.
• Marion, Kansas
Your lake is beautiful, not so sure that particular scenery is though.
@JESSY3236 (4397)
that must have been a scary sight. Yeah I would have got far away from that guy.
Wow, it's so green there, really beautiful shot. Dang, that kinda eye full I sure as heck wouldn't wanna see.