Not just a ballroom - Chenonceau Chateau

Bunbury, Australia
My last post was about Chenonceau Chateau in the Loire Valley in France. The chateau spans the river Cher and the bridge has had a gallery built over it. The gallery is 60 metres long and six metres wide. Eighteen windows let in ample light. The slate tile floor and exposed beams in the ceilings created a magnificent ballroom. However, it has also served in other capacities in its lifetime. During World War I, the chateau was owned by Mr Gaston Menier who set up a 120-bed hospital. All rooms were utilised for medical procedures. A total of 2,254 soldiers were treated with the last of the wounded leaving on December 31, 1918. During World War II, The river Cher was part of the line of demarcation between German-occupied France and Free France. The south door of the gallery gave access to the left bank (free zone) and numbers of Jews and others were smuggled through to safety. The bank was regularly patrolled but once the all clear was given the door would be opened and people could make their way to freedom. A German artillery unit was kept at the ready throughout the war, ready to destroy Chenoneau. It would have been tragic if this beautiful building had been destroyed.
This is a beautiful castle. Have you visited the cellars? During some times of the year I know it is possible to visit, may be in summer it is too crowded.
It's unfortunate that the history of a lot of these old buildings is war oriented.
Sooner or later one of the wars rears its ugly head.
@xFiacre (7117)
@judyev Cher will be really chuffed to know that she's had a river named after her.
She will indeed. We haven't come across the Sonny River yet. No wonder he got a bit irate.
You've got a great picture here. It looks very massive, I can understand it being used as it was during the war.
It would have been a very impressive building. I'm glad they didn't destroy it. It would have been a great shame.
@Jackalyn (6536)
• Oxford, England
It is good some of these buildings are still standing even though I think they did to be destroyed during the war by the way they were used. I often wonder what it would have been like to live in a huge place in the times when Ballrooms and the like were actually used. Some days I could do with a lady's maid.
When a regal visitor came to these places, they bought with them a huge entourage who all had to be fed and accommodated. It must have been quite stressful for the ones responsible for finding food and beds for everyone.
@SHOHANA (7104)
• Bangladesh
your post representing such a history and this is really a nice post to share. Thanks for sharing it :)
I'm really pleased that you've enjoyed it.
@Platespinner (19156)
Fascinating history!
I've only given snippets of it but there is so much more and all very interesting.
@JudyEv I can only imagine! I'm hoping when we go over to visit our oldest child in Germany next year that my husband will catch the international travel bug and we'll be able to do more of it.
@Platespinner I've been a bit surprised how much I've enjoyed it really. I could go on almost indefinitely really.
I'm glad it wasn't. It has a lot of interesting history.
I've only given the very bare bones of the history. It's quite fascinating.
@JudyEv I'm sure it is.
@dollaboy (6272)
thanks for sharing this very interesting post, Judy.
Thanks for the kind words. I hope you're learning something from them.
@dollaboy (6272)
@JudyEv thanks. I'm learning for sure.
Its beautiful.
They have 10 gardeners just to look after all the gardens. The whole place is beautiful.
It's beautiful place, good thing they were able to preserve it though. It's nice to know that this place had saved soldiers and lived to see another day.
Yes, it is good to think that it served a very useful purpose during the wars.
I think you are now qualified as a an official tour guide!
I must admit I'd be keen to help in some way at some of these places - mainly because I'd get to see behind all the locked doors!
Plenty of elbow room there. France has done an excellent job of saving and preserving these real life fairy tale buildings that look like movie sets.
Yes, she has. Many countries could learn from her ideas.
Yes, would have been very sad if it was destroyed.
A great waste of a magnificent building.