Happiness is a Toothbrush and Toothpaste

image courtesy of Pixabay.
By Val
@valmnz (12574)
New Zealand
I thought I had bag packing for a few days away all sorted. I have a permanent checklist, one that I nearly know off by heart. Rarely do I leave anything behind. But on a recent trip down to Wellington, New Zealand's capital city, my system let me down. I forgot to pack my toothbrush and toothpaste. At first it was as if the world had ended and my problem solving skills abandoned me! However, by next morning, even though I was staying in an inner city hotel, I realised there was a small supermarket nearby. I got up early and wound my way through the early morning pedestrian rush hour to go and purchase my essential needs. I can't imagine what those dressed appropriately for a day's work in the city thought of my casual appearance. But, before long I was back at the hotel, armed with a new toothbrush and tube of toothpaste. I was ready to face the day. My happiness was complete.
I see we have the similar habit to keep a permanent list of things to pack for travels. I never forgot the toothbrush and toothpaste, but once I forgot the night slippers of my husband.
@valmnz (12574)
• New Zealand
Oh wow, how did he respond to that?
@valmnz He was not very happy, I went to a big store the day after and we found a pair of those slippers to use when coming out of the shower, better than nothing.
@valmnz (12574)
• New Zealand
@LadyDuck I imagine you never did that again
@nomus24g (15099)
"Happiness" is very much individualistic and perspective driven....
@valmnz (12574)
• New Zealand
... and changes from day to day
@nomus24g (15099)
@valmnz yes, right....
• Eugene, Oregon
Many hotels have emergency supplies at the desk I have found. I visited my daughter this weekend and forgot my whole shaving kit, toothbrush and all. Fortunately, she had spares.
@valmnz (12574)
• New Zealand
Yes, I'd forgotten about that util my son reminded me!
@PatZAnthony (11721)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
We always seem to be missing something even though we have a great list to follow. Such things can happen!
@valmnz (12574)
• New Zealand
So annoying!
All that matters was you were back at the hotel with your tooth brush and tooth paste in hand.
@valmnz (12574)
• New Zealand
Isn't it funny how such small things can seem so important!
Next time do not panic. Just use some salt and rub it on with your fingers. It will do as a good a job as a toothpaste. I am told salt is coming back and added to toothpastes. Our ancestors used it and their teeth had no issues.
Before I was retired,my job entailed a lot of travelling.I also had a checklist on what I had to carry,though I didn't have a memmory like a sieve."The palest ink is better than the best memory."
Toiletries are things you need at the last minute and are often the last thing to be packed - or not packed as the case may be.
I also keep a permanent list, but once forgot my toothbrush. The hotel concierge sent one to our room gratis, but the tip was more than the toothbrush cost! lol
Most American hotels have both the brush and paste if you ask for them. There is no charge.
It can be annoying to forget essential items for a trip. I've done it and found myself at the store too.
Yes, it is the little things. When we flew home from our honeymoon we got stuck overnight in North Carolina. The airlines put us up at a hotel and gave us $30 each to cover dinner and breakfast. However, we had to use most of our money on necessities - like toothbrush/paste and I had to buy contact lense case and solution and a few other necessities.
@hereandthere (21897)
thankfully, it's something that you can easily buy and quite cheap. i always make a shopping list on my phone as well as other errands, but sometimes i feel confident i've memorized it and don't look at it, then realize i forgot to do something or buy something when i get home.
@mandala100 (24198)
@valmnz It's good that you were able to purchase your toothbrush and toothpaste early in the morning.
@xFiacre (10126)
@valmnz Isn't there always something?
@silvermist (15385)
Only when such things happen,we come to realize how important these '' small things '' are .Of course,this has happened to me too.
@vsai2008 (7632)
Glad you had a supermarket nearby, I too have a habit of checking everything more than once whenever I travel. But forgetting few things is sometimes inevitable :)