Changing of the guard...R.I.P. old friend...

By JJ
Olney, Illinois
So at the end of side 1 of the album I am listening to I heard this noise akin to the cartridge weight being set too heavy and the cartridge 'riding' on the album surface. When I lifted the stylus, I kept hearing it through one channel...so I shut the amp down for a moment...and when I fired it back up, nothing but a loud HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM from the right channel. Dammit. Seems as though my faithful Akai power amp has 'bit the dust'. Kind of a shame really...I had 'resurrected' it from the dead 11 years back when it was attacked by someone and smashed (long story, right before I quit doing dope)...so I took it apart, wired everything direct inside, and it has been the 'muscle' behind my system ever since. It will be missed. Just glad I keep plenty of 'spare' equipment around.
I am so sorry, poor old friend.
@moffittjc (29638)
• Gainesville, Florida
There is nothing worse than losing an old piece of equipment that has powered so many great music memories. Sounds like you got an amazing life out of that amp. My brother has a Peavey amp that he's had for about 15 years, and it is the one piece of "furniture" in his house that hasn't changed over time. He loves that amp, and it's still going strong!
• Olney, Illinois
Peavey built some workhorse equipment, I have 6 of their amps.
@moffittjc (29638)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JolietJake I can tell you, those Peaveys sure were workhorses! I don't think I ever saw a local band that didn't have at least one in their inventory! Are they still around these days, and are they still making quality equipment? Or has some other brand of amp taken over the throne?
• Olney, Illinois
@moffittjc They still make great mid-line equipment, but Carwin and Crown and a few others are more top-shelf items.
@BarBaraPrz (15871)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Well, isnn't that a kick in the pants? No way you can work your magic and bring it back a second time?
• Olney, Illinois
Nope, it's fried and I doubt I could get the right chip to fix it since it is so old
@BarBaraPrz (15871)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
• Olney, Illinois
@BarBaraPrz It was a late 80's model, I'll keep it around on the off chance I run into another with a blown channel someday that I can scavenge a part from, but the odds of that happening aren't good...unless I throw it out...then I'll find one next month.
I'm sorry that's sad. =(
• Lakewood, Colorado
Oh sorry to hear it...
Hard to like this post but losing it is like losing a friend. Would love to hear the backstory of the 'attack'.
• Olney, Illinois
Just a doper that was mad at me and thought he'd bust my amp up
@JolietJake I see. Good thing your amp is doper-proof!
@FourWalls (7972)
Blast Toys in the Attic through the new one in memory of the old one. No way to fix it?
• Olney, Illinois
Probably not...everything but the amp chips got destroyed long ago, I could possibly find a chip that would work, but don't think it'd be worth the hassle when I have so much stuff already.
Is that the one Scar would sleep on?
• Olney, Illinois
Nope, Scar sleeps on the Nivico which I use as a pre-amp system
@RubyHawk (16619)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Lucky you to have spare equipment and know how to use it.
@dgobucks226 (2925)
Crap happens. Sorry for your loss That really sucks. I had this happen to my turntable and CD- 5 disc player, hate even typing those words. Nothing lasts forever not even our beloved stereo equipment
It has served you well.
• Riga, Latvia
Sorry to hear it. Well on to a proper burial and on to fixing your system.
Will you be able to give it a third life and fix it at all?
I feel sorry
So smart to have spares around.