WRONG SIDE OF THE STREET.

Image by pixabay
I can never forget the experience of my first hurricane many years ago when I came to live in the islands. The destruction was massive - uprooted trees and light poles, roofs and satellite dishes taking flight with the wind - our street was unrecognizable, it looked like a war zone. No water or electricity for weeks. We were elated when power was finally restored to our neighborhood - but there was an unpleasant surprise for residents on my side of the street . Only those on the opposite side were back on the grid - we were left in the dark. So, for the next three nights we watched the bright lights of our neighbors across the street while we endured the heat, mosquitoes and candle light. Oh, how I wished our house was on the other side of the street. have you ever experienced a really bad natural disaster.?
This must be horrible. Personally I have never experienced bad natural disasters, my grandparents had their house flooded, I remember the photos, almost 3 meters of water inside the house.
I think I can deal with a lot of things - except flooding and earthquakes. Thankfully I haven't experienced those two.
@Kandae11 I have experienced several earthquakes, a couple strong enough to see the books falling down from the shelves, but nothing very strong.
@LadyDuck I have experienced a few mild ones too.
Yes, we went through the same exact thing when a hurricane hit here last year. The people across the street also had electric and we had to wait 2 more days for ours to be restored! It was frustrating to see theirs on. We were without power for 5 days, it felt like an eternity with young kids though.
That was hurricane Matthew - it did a real bad job on Haiti. It would be real awful to be without electricity when young kids are around.
@Kandae11 Yes it was hurricane Matthew. Yeah with little ones being without power is awful.
@Dena91 (3406)
Hurricane hugo in 1989, no electricity for 3 weeks. And 2 back to back blizzards in 1978 or 79. Had probably 6-7 feet of snow when they both were done. The blizzard didn't bother me as bad as my brother and I had a blast making snow forts and tunnels in which we wet down with the water hose and sledded through them.
Yes, I think I remember Hurricane Hugo. At least you had some fun with the blizzards.
@bluesa (8530)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Not a really bad natural disaster, no. And I am sorry you experienced that. But many times when we sit with no electricity, because our sub station has continual problems, we look at the lights shining brightly in the suburb next to us. I have threatened to move to that suburb many times, but to move is such a hassle. I make sure I have lots of candles.
No electricity is particularly awful when the weather is hot. So much worse when your neighbors have it and you don't.
@bluesa (8530)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Kandae11 , you can say that again! We just sit glaring at the lights in the other suburb!
I like that comment Catherine. Looking at far away lights is pretty cool except of course when you have none Just on here for a few minutes but thanks for the like and I'll chat with you again soon
• Riga, Latvia
Only once I went through Hurricane Gloria in the US in the 1980s. I was at my boyfriend's house in Connecticut and afterward we went out to survey the damage of fallen trees and other things.
Was there much damage ?
• Riga, Latvia
@Kandae11 I don't really remember. I think it was like usual depending on where you lived. Some places were harder hit and some less. I was in Connecticut at the time but I found this and what happened in New York at that time.
On Sept. 27, 1985, Hurricane Gloria made landfall on Long Island as a Category 2 storm and subsequently in western Connecticut. Hundreds of people living near the shore were forced to evacuate their homes as it was being described as the "storm of the cent
@RasmaSandra I don't know if it due to climate change, but hurricanes are becoming stronger. Last year's Matthew was a Category 4.
@dgobucks226 (2925)
Yes I have Kandase. Hurricane Sandy which hit the New Jersey shore where I live. We were without power for 7-10 days, and homes were flooded out and ruined. The other one I experienced was in Florida in 2005. Can't remember the name of that one but left us without power for 3 days. Trees down, the wind felt like a roaring train against our window as we got the backside of the storm as the eye passed.
The sound of the wind can be very scary. It sounds like an angry giant hammering on your closed windows trying to get in. Hurricane Sandy in 2012 - toppled our apple tree, banana trees, and blew all the fruit off our avocado trees.
@Kandae11 That was some storm by the time it got our way. I hope we never have another one of that magnitude again!
That must have been horrible for you. No, I've never been part of a terrible natural disaster.
The memory isn't pleasant. I am hoping this season is a very mild one.
@Kandae11 That would be nice.
@YrNemo (1479)
And here I thought you were a native of those islands... We have had power cut, water problem or internet connection trouble every now and then, and the funny thing is, sometimes only one side of our street got affected. Times like that, the neighbors all came out, hands in the air! (Quite funny actually .)
Doesn't seem fair really.. I was born in Guyana, South America - no hurricanes there, and I can't remember experiencing any earthquakes there either.
@hostessman (6090)
• Tucson, Arizona
i have been very lucky and never have been through any big disaster
Let it remain that way.
@hereandthere (19689)
that happens here, too. sometimes power would go out on certain streets only.
Very frustrating.
@seldom (2481)
• Albania
No, I never experienced any really bad natural disasters, and I hope I will not.
I hope you do not.
How awful for you! At times, a tree falls on wires on our little street, and we often are the ones who lose power while everyone else is living life normally. We have had some huge hurricanes hit us. Once, we were without power for five days, and it was awful. I've been in a few minor earthquakes and a monsoon on our travels.
How did you feel when you knew that a huge hurricane was on its way?
@Kandae11 Worried! Lol! We have a generator now, so we are quite relieved.
@DianneN I wasn't talking there about the loss of power - I meant damage to property and surroundings.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I was in a tornado in Iowa that killed thee people. But it didn't directly affect where I was, about two miles away from where the people were killed. I've been in some earthquakes in California, but none that caused major damage.
At least with a tornado, you can get a warning - not so with earthquakes.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Kandae11 Very true!
• Denmark
No, and it's not likely that I will. The area where I live isn't known for disasters.
Yes, some areas are free from natural disasters - the only worry would be the man made ones.
• Denmark
@Kandae11 As we know, people are good at being self-destructive. :-(
@velvet53 (10165)
I waas at my mom's place out in the country when a tornado struck. We actually stood and watched it for awhile. It did quite a bit of damage to the barn and other buildings but it never touched the house. Things were flying everywhere.
Shouldn't you have sought cover somewhere ?
@velvet53 (10165)
@Kandae11 We should of but we didn't have a basement or anything to go to. That has happened to me before.
@Gillygirl (14768)
• Sutton, England
That must have been scary and unpleasant. We had a hurricane in 1987 in my part of the UK. People were killed and much damage done to property, Many woods lost so many trees. However I doubt it was on the scale of disasters that occur in other countries.
The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June to November, and so far it has been sort of calm. However, it usually peaks in September so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
@Gillygirl (14768)
• Sutton, England
@Kandae11 I hope it stays calm so fingers crossed for you too.
@FayeHazel (7330)
I've never experienced a bad natural disaster. Scary stuff! I can't even imagine
Lucky you.
No, we do have tornado`s but I have had the protection of God and nothing was that bad. But we did have to live without lights. once we went down to Florida and helped out after hurricane Katrina and I seen the damage there.
I remember hurricane katrina - that was a really bad one.
That was plain and simple jealousy (lol) Yes. We had a mini tornado in 2015. Since i have learnt not to panic coped with it well.
I'm human
There was a tornado here which made a big hole in my roof but it was a very localized event. The big East Coast Earthquake was centered here..but no one was left homeless..just property damage was a problem.
I hear there are a lot of earthquakes in California - but minor ones I suppose.