Sherry

Riga, Latvia
In this case I am not going to discuss the drink sherry. Instead I am referring to the song “Sherry” that became the number one hit for the talented group The Four Seasons on September 15, 1962. The members of this band were considered to be the godfather of Italian-American soul. They were Frankie Valli, Bob Gaudio, Tommy DeVito and Nick Massi. Their success came before the British Invasion and their distinctive musical style saved them from losing their popularity afterwards. In fact The Four Seasons and The Beach Boys became the only two American groups who enjoyed success on the charts before, during and after the British Invasion. In 1961 the group changed their name from The Four Lovers to The Four Seasons. Group member and keyboard play Bob Gaudio wrote the song that would bring them to stardom. Once “Sherry” became a hit Gaudio said that he had written the song in fifteen minutes without even thinking that it could become a hit. “Sherry” was released as a single in August 1962. In the following six months The Four Seasons came out with two more number one hits “Big Girls Don’t Cry” and “Walk Like a Man”. This made them the only American group to have three consecutive number one hits. In the summer of 1964 they scored their fourth number one hit “Rag Doll”. They had many Top 40 hits in twelve years and returned to the pop charts with a fifth number one hit “December 1963 (Oh, What a Night) in March 1976. The Four Season original members were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1990 and they joined the Vocal Group Hall of Fame in 1999. They remain one of the best-selling groups of all time and have sold 100 million records worldwide. Since 2008 Frankie Valli has been touring all over the globe with a new group of Four Seasons. http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/the-four-seasons-earn-their-first-1-hit-with-sherry
Classic performance - The 4 Seasons performing 'Sherry'
I remember the songs you've mentioned. The group had a very distinctive sound didn't they?
• Riga, Latvia
Yes it was great and their love songs always tugged at the heartstrings @JudyEv
I still like to listen to the songs when they come on the radio.
• Riga, Latvia
I find their albums on YouTube and put them on @Susan2015
I used to love this song till a real " Sherry" was around, now when I hear it I want to.............
That song "Sherry" is one of my favorite oldies but goodies.
Did you see the musical or movie version "Jersey Boys"?
• Riga, Latvia
No I haven't but I know it is supposed to be good and about these guys. I will take a look if I can find it somewhere online @JohnRoberts