She Really Needed Someone to Manage Her Money

My sister is a wonderful person who is very generous, and she is very successful in her career. However, she is a big spender. Sis does have a bit of hypomania, a mild form of mania, marked by elation and hyperactivity, and at times, overspending. Sis buys and buys, and a lot her purchases go to family and friends due to her suddenly realizing she has purchased a bit too much for her own use. The other day, she came to our house and loaded our freezer with chicken breasts, steaks, pork chops, and hamburgers. She gave us packages of almonds, pecans, and pistachio nuts. Sis presented me with a brand new pair of pajamas, a new purse, and a new book. Molly was given a new dog toy, and my husband received a newly-purchased soft-as-could-be blanket for my husband. Bringing her not-needed new purchases to our house would not be a problem if it was a seldom occurence, but Sis does this all the time. Our son and his wife are also frequent recipients of her overflow purchases. I was so pleased to learn that my sister now has someone managing her money for her. Her longtime friend is a financial analyst, and her highly- qualified friend has agreed to oversee my sister's finances to help Sis curtail her spending. I am happy that Sis on now on a budget. She is going through buying-withdrawal at the moment, but her friend is certainly keeping a sharp eye on Sis's finances.
That is good I would love those gifts. But I do see where she needs the help. Play money is one thing. That is too much.
She even bought a used car for the lady who cleaned her condo once a week because the lady no longer had transportation. She does go to extremes.
@Corbin5 how generous of her!
she like a female Robin Hood.
Yes, and I am now glad someone is getting her spending under control.
@Corbin5 that is good.
• Preston, England
@Corbin5 we all need support to get back on the rails once in a while
I see this all the time. I know the elderly ladies could have whatever they wanted and pay cash but they are the type to spend it all eating out, buffet style at $20 each and one barely eats one plate full.
I have to be careful and not name anything I plan on buying because she will buy it for me before I have the chance to do it myself. She is a widow, and I worry she will get herself into a financial pickle. Thank goodness she has a pro looking after her finances now.
@mandala100 (23909)
@Corbin5 I'm glad to hear that my friend that there is already someone managing her finances and I think that's a good financial lesson for each of oneof us to value the importance of money, to not be too extravagant and buy only those that are essentially needed.
She once told me she bought a used car for the lady who cleaned her house. I was shocked to hear that.
@mandala100 (23909)
@Corbin5 I understand you my friend.
@Paige32 (1180)
@Corbin5 I think this would be a wonderful gesture if it wasnt something that happens all the time and if the cleaning lady was deserving of it.
@hereandthere (20910)
it's good that the decision came from her and it's someone who knows her well and has her best interests at heart. i just can't help smiling and imaging your hubby cooking all those meats for his meals.
Yes, I am a vegetarian, so my husband has had fun with those meats. We had to give quite a bit to our son and his wife since we could not fit all into the freezer.
@Corbin5 it will be a big help to them since they're both working. one less item to shop for.
She is rare, cherish her.
She is a giver, but goes overboard.
It sounds like she just wants to spoil someone @Corbin5
I understand what your sis is going through. I'm a born shopaholic myself, and don't intend to change. Our financial advisors don't give a hoot, as long as our money doesn't ever dry up.
She really does go overboard. If I mention any item i am thinking of purchasing, she buys it and brings it over. I am just glad someone has taken charge. She bought a car for the lady who cleans her condo, someone she barely knew. Being a widow, Sis had better keep to her budget.
@Corbin5 Yikes! I understand. Glad she has help now.
Hopefully she'll find something else to spend her time doing instead of all of that shopping. And these words are from a born to die shopper herself!
No more online buying is going to freak it out, but that is what her financial-analyst friend put an end to that.
@alberello75 (11173)
• Genova, Italy
If your sister spends, however, I believe she can afford to do so. Good for her But I am very strange person. For me, I do not spend almost anything. However, the little that I can set aside (ie 100 Euros on my Debitcard), I gift all to my brother that, by telling coldly, he does not deserve it! He does not even say me "thank you", even better, he often wants to slap me with no apparent motive! You're right, I'm really stupid! But unfortunately, I'm done so. My character, I can not change!
Well, your brother really does need to give you more respect, my friend. No way should he treat you the way he does.
@alberello75 (11173)
• Genova, Italy
@Corbin5 His fault is ok. But also my fault! He is rude and disrespectful towards me. Anyway, I have only the blame to allow him to deal with me in this bad way. As if that was not enough, I'm still so stupid to give him my money! .. no limit! For me, towards him, should need a behavior called "Assertive"
@alberello75 Yes, if you changer your behavior toward him, his behavior will change. That is the only thing that works to change a person's inappropriate behavior like your brother's.
@poehere (16027)
• French Polynesia
Wow, she really is an over spender. Lucky for you though. You won't need to go shopping for a while. Glad she has someone to help her now.
Well the brand new pajamas will go to our son's wife as a gift and we already had to give them a lot of the meat since we did not have room for all of it in the freezer.
@poehere (16027)
• French Polynesia
@Corbin5 Wow, that is amazing how much she can over spend. I really wonder how much she did buy. Hope she got a good deal on this.
@poehere Sometimes she just buys, deal or no deal. She was recently diagnosed with hypo mania, a mild form of mania, which causes the spending. Thank goodness she is now on medication to help her be less impulsive.
@bunnybon7 (31069)
• Holiday, Florida
my daughter could use someone like that. she does the same except when she runs out i am the one pays for it so basically she is forcing me to be the silent person in that.
It is a shame that your daughter forces you to pay for things that are her doing. Sis is a widow, and I do worry that she may not be able to have the money she needs when she is retires. She did ask her friend to manage her money for her which was a relief to me.
@bunnybon7 (31069)
• Holiday, Florida
@Corbin5 yes mine all started since i became a widow and i have lost a lot through the years because of them
@bunnybon7 I recently learned my sister would give her credit cards to my husband to hold on to since she could not control her spending.
@Micmac (6368)
Yes, that is a wise decision that she now has someone to help manage her money. It's important to be thrifty and save for a rainy day. She really did buy everyone nice and thoughtful gifts from her heart.
Yes, she does buy from her heart, but I worry she is going overboard. I have leaned to never say, "I think I will buy an author's new book, or anything else I plan to buy, because she will go out and buy it for me before I have a chance to buy it myself.
@Micmac (6368)
@Corbin5 Your sister is very kind, but I do understand your concern for her overspending sprees. She took a step in the right direction to let her friend take care of her finances, so that is good, no more worries.
@Micmac Yes, she really has someone who is skilled in managing the finances of others.
Sounds like this is long needed. I hope it goes well with her.
I think she is adjusting. Instead of buying masses of cookies for our elderly Dad, who could never eat them all if he tried, she baked cookies for him this time around..
@Corbin5 Those are better anyway. I'd rather have home baked than store bought. I'm sure he appreciated them too.
Oh, bless her. It coukd be worse though, she coukd have been the sort who kept everything she bought and you had to clamber over her treasures just to get in her house! So pleased to hear she has good friends looking out for her.
good point! at least she gives them to the recipients to be used, not hoard them unopened at home.
@Poppylicious Yes, a hoarder she is not, thank goodness. She even bought a used car for the lady who cleaned her condo. I said nothing about that, but I was shocked she did that.
It's good that she has a friend that manages her finances. Spending too much can lead you fast to being broke.
It sure took her a long time to realize she was over-spending, but glad she now has a pro to handle her finances.
@Corbin5 Which is really very important.
@sallypup (18835)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I believe there is a Spender's Anonymous group that your sister could attend. I wonder what the underlying issue is?
I am not sure why she spends like she does. She is a mystery to me.
@sallypup (18835)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Corbin5 I know that there is a little thrill when I buy something cause its on sale. I got a good deal!! Maybe buy more cause it was such a good deal. Maybe its like that with her?
Glad to hear she is on a budget now, it's fun to spend though too, when you can.
Yes, I enjoy buying, but it is the money being gone that freaks me out. Sis and I are opposites when it comes to spending money.
It's good that she will have help managing her money.
Yes, and I know she has purchased so much more than what I know about.
• Lakewood, Colorado
I am glad your sister is getting help with that. She is a good soul though.
She is very sweet and offers so much help to others, but I am relieved that budgeting her money will make for a better life for her when she retires.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Corbin5 Oh yes that is vital..she needs to take care of her retirement. Is this the sister that does Reiki or massage?
@TiarasOceanView Yes, she does Shiatsu and acupuncture, but her job is in the city of Chicago as a legal secretary. .
@vsai2008 (7231)
I am happy that your sister got such a good friend, happy for her :) I hope you don't miss her random gifts LOL
No, I hate clutter, and all the extra stuff she would bring to my house made me very nervous. I donate a lot of the things she brings to me.
@vsai2008 (7231)
@Corbin5 Then I hope this friend your sister has, does brilliant in saving your sister's money :)