I rushed to judgment on another person and now I feel real bad about it.

Dallas, Texas
I was quick to judge my neighbor. He seemed angry and hostile. He stopped talking to me a month ago after I mowed his lawn. I figured he was angry because I failed to cut back the vines that grew up along the porch and steps of his house. I jumped to conclusions, thinking, he was being angry for no reason at all. I gave it some thought and decided I would go ahead and cut his lawn anyway as it only takes an extra 10 minutes to do his front yard after I did our front and back and alley. Today I became very sorry for having misjudged the guy. Yep. He wasn't angry at me at all. The thing is, he found out something at the hospital that was so upsetting that he was unable to work and unable to deal with every day stress. He has a medical condition that could very well threaten his life and to make matters worse, he had to get a transfusion to stay alive in the ER. His other issues came to light after a basic medical checkup. He told me today that not only does he have serious health issues but that his son had been diagnosed with a blood sugar count around 600. His son only in his middle 20's was losing feeling in his right leg and had to walk on crutches. They gave his son treatment. He has Type 1 diabetes. I feel so badly about rushing to judgment that I almost cried. I went home after talking to him when I had finished cutting his back yard and I told my wife about it. Now I fully understand. People who get bad news about their health can behave angry for no reason except there is a reason, fear. Anxiety and dread. All of these wrapped up into one single outlet. So I feel I need to pray for my neighbor and ask God for his forgiveness for my being quick to judge a neighbor falsely. I am humbled by the news and the reality that people can get sick and when they do they tend to get really upset and angry at the world. It's perfectly natural human behavior. For this reason I will not be so quick to judge my neighbor. I mean that in regard to all of my neighbors, both far and close to home. Have you ever rushed to judgement about another person only to later find out they were angry because of a health issue that was so terrible it challenged their very inner self?
I think most of us have rushed to judgement regarding another person. You did the right thing by learning the reasons for his behavior. Dr. Abraham A.Low called the error we make, "Intellectual blindness to the other side of the story."
• Dallas, Texas
I will certainly remember that. Thank you.
@lookatdesktop Do not blame yourself. Instead, endorse yourself for listening to this poor man's troubles. There are a lot of folks who would not even listen or help out in any way, but you do.
• Dallas, Texas
@Corbin5 , Thanks. I appreciate your understanding.
@dgobucks226 (4930)
I have rushed to judgement. Sure I bet the majority of people do at some time or other. People will sometimes project their feelings onto others to cope with a stressful situation. It was good you found out the truth and that his angry feelings were not meant toward you.
• Dallas, Texas
Moreover, I have to deal with my own tendency to get angry at others who treat me in a way that makes me feel bad. I have to try and deal with my own anger issues.
@lookatdesktop Life is to short Anthony, let it out and forget about it...all things must pass Better health wise in the long run!
• Dallas, Texas
@dgobucks226 , You are so right. I will try to follow your sound advice for my own health to improve. I need to just let go and just live and let live.
I am not without sin in that area, but when someone acts strangely towards me for seemingly no reason, I always tell myself - maybe they are battling their own problems and can't really mask their feelings.
• Dallas, Texas
That would seem to be the case.
@mandala100 (24349)
@lookatdeskstop I'm glad that you have this realization and that it finally dawned upon you my friend. Yes I used to be that way during my younger years but I mellowing a bit now my friend, say maturation process or wisdom stepping in on the break.
• Dallas, Texas
Thank you for that good friend, Peter Ang.
@mandala100 (24349)
@lookatdesktop No problem my friend and I'll see you later. By the way I already listened to all the soothing music link that you've sent and they are all great my friend!
• Dallas, Texas
@mandala100 , I am happy that you enjoyed listening to the music.
@1creekgirl (7453)
I can so totally relate to this. Years ago at work, we had a courier who was so grouchy and ill tempered. I was miffed that he seemed so contrary. I found out a long time later that his wife was dying of cancer. We never know what someone else may be going through.
• Dallas, Texas
There was a man who always argued with customers in a local Kroger store. The clerks who work the registers told me that the man is just hard to get along with. I had a close encounter with the man in question. He forgot to retrieve his debit or credit card after paying at the register so I removed the card and handed it to him. he reacted offended and verbally corrected me for not saying to him, "Sir you forgot your card,' and tried to make me feel like a fool for handing it to him in front of the others, who were watching this spectacle.
@lookatdesktop There are some people in life you just can't be nice to.
@dodo19 (27311)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I feel so sorry for this neighbor of yours. I can understand why he's so worried. Sometimes, it does happen that we misjudge situations.
I think we have all done this at one time or another. Don't beat yourself up over it. We all learn from our mistakes.
• Dallas, Texas
I appreciate this.
@vsai2008 (7632)
I too used to be like that but being judgemental made me a negative person and I didn't feel good about myself. I started to mend my ways. Glad you could do something after you came to know about the situation :) Some people don't even get the chance.
• Dallas, Texas
Yes, this I agree with.
@vsai2008 (7632)
• Dallas, Texas
I couldn't remember having judged someone so quick. But we all make mistakes and we are actually quick to judge. It's good that you were able to recognize your own mistakes and learned from it.
• Dallas, Texas
I need to work on it each day.
@lookatdesktop We all should.
• Dallas, Texas
• Lakewood, Colorado
No I havent, I have been the most patient with sick people, but now I am done with that...even if one is sick, there is never an excuse to mistreat another.
• Dallas, Texas
Well, I read so much in his not talking to me and keeping to himself. He actually never behaved in a bad way towards me, just that I interpreted his not talking to me as anger and learned that he was actually very very ill. He shook my hand yesterday and told me he was taking care of his health as much as he could. He assured me there was nothing for me to worry about. I considered his actions one of sincerity and kindness.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@lookatdesktop Yes I understand in this case of course, you are understanding of his condition.
• Preston, England
Glad you were able to make things up with your neighbour - hope his son will be ok soon
• Dallas, Texas
I appreciate your comment.
You needn't blame yourself too much,because you didn't know what happened to them.I feel for your neighbor and his son.Misfortunes never seem to come singly sometimes.
• Dallas, Texas
Yes I think they tend to occur in multiples.
@YrNemo (5964)
Your neighbor is lucky to have you doing the lawn etc for him. Wish I had you as my neighbor . (Can't remember if I was ever in a similar situation as yours. )
• Dallas, Texas
I think it is that more and more people who live in the big cities of the USA, tend to keep to themselves and only socialize on their mobiles.