Fulfilling a Request

@Morleyhunt (16545)
Several months ago my oldest daughter asked me if I could make a T-shirt quilt for her oldest son (my oldest grandchild). This would be a new adventure. I've not made a t-shirt quilt before, but was willing to give it a try. About six weeks ago she brought me a bag of his t-shirts and the planning began. The shirts were sorted and the logos were trimmed into rectangles and squares. Now I'm almost ready to assemble the front of the quilt. Just two more rectangles.....or a square and a rectangle and the front will be complete. The timing is perfect. It looks like I will have one more entry for our local fair. Then, afterwards, I can present it to my grandson.
@Platespinner (18472)
I've got one of those on-deck for my eldest child. My latest try-something new was free motion machine quilting on a pencil case I'm making for my daughter. I tried it and succeeded. Sort of. This morning I received notification of 12 Craftsy classes on sale for $12 each and lo and behold one was on free motion quilting...guess what I spent money on today .
@Morleyhunt (16545)
I'll keep you posted on my progress and the difficulties that I'm sure I'll encounter before its done.
@Morleyhunt I'd appreciate that!
I get notification from Craftsy but have never taken a class. What is free motion quilting? If you do it I am sure it will be a perfect result!
Very good job, I imagine it's pretty hard to work with t-shirts.
@Morleyhunt (16545)
They do present a unique challenge. I'm a little worried about the actual quilting.
@Morleyhunt I am sure it will not be easy, but you surely will find a way.
@hereandthere (24042)
i'm already imagining how cool this quilt is going to be because of all those cool logos. this is definitely going to be a keepsake.
@Morleyhunt (16545)
I'm hoping to have the quilt "sandwiched" before I go out this evening.
So far, so good! I wonder if the shirts will pucker much when quilted.
@Morleyhunt (16545)
I'm hoping that they go together smoothly. This may be one of the few quilts I use a washable adhesive to sandwich the layers.
• Denmark
Your grandson will be proud of this unique item.
@Morleyhunt (16545)
This will be a surprise for him. He is a very active and involved young man. This chronicles his secondary school years, both in school activities and activities in the community.
@velvet53 (15393)
• Palisade, Colorado
That is going to be so neat. I hope that you do well with it in the fair and that your grandson likes it. I sure would.
@Morleyhunt (16545)
I'm certainly hoping I do well at the fair. A few extra dollars to put towards my craft is always appreciate.
@velvet53 (15393)
• Palisade, Colorado
@Morleyhunt I know what you mean. We never got any money back when I put things in the fair. Good luck to you.
@alberello75 (13501)
• Genova, Italy
None of us ever had the tailor's dowry. So I've always had to buy t-shirts in stores. You have a passion for sewing, I see?
@Morleyhunt (16545)
All of the t-shirts were commercially produced. They are a legacy of his activities. I enjoy the creative process and sewing them together.
@alberello75 (13501)
• Genova, Italy
@Morleyhunt Very good. Great passion!
@ilocosboy (33256)
Oh wow, I hope you can share that to us, I'm eager to see them here in mylot.
@Morleyhunt (16545)
I will be certain to share a photo of the completed quilt after the fair.
@ilocosboy (33256)
@Morleyhunt looking forward to that Morley.
I can imagine that he will be thrilled to bits with his new quilt. Good for you - and good luck at the fair.
@Morleyhunt (16545)
I'm looking forward t having it complete. So far his mom has seen my progress and told me she at least loves it.
Lots of work for you, can't wait to see the final quilt.
@Morleyhunt (16545)
I'm looking forward to seeing it complete. Slow and steady....it is progressing.
It should be interesting to see the end result. It will be a very personal quilt that's for sure, like a walk down teenage memory lane.
@Morleyhunt (16545)
When it's finished I will share a photo and my grandsons reaction. This should happen at the end of September.
I have always wanted to make one of those. However, I do not like to quilt. I am far too much a perfectionist and cannot make the points match. Frustrating. Love your finished product. It is great!
@Morleyhunt (16545)
I've learned not to worry if all of my corners aren't perfect. In quilting close sometimes has to do. If you look closely you will find that isn't unusual. No one else notice unless you are way out.
@Morleyhunt I noticed and it was hard to give the completed project to the o eopke it was intended for.
@Morleyhunt (16545)
@ElusiveButterfly it is totally finished now...even the autograph block for the back. Can't wait u Til after the fair to see my grandsons face when he receives it.
@KristenH (20356)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
That's a pretty cool quilt, Morley. Go for it!
@Morleyhunt (16545)
Thank you. I'm still working away at it.
@KristenH (20356)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@Morleyhunt You're welcome. Can't wait to hear how it turned out.
@YrNemo (8455)
Sounds fun, that project!
@Morleyhunt (16545)
It has been a fun project. The quilting is finished...the binding is almost finished as well.
You are sure to win a prize for this quilt as it is very clever and nice? What difference does it make between having a regular quilt square and a T shirt square? Why are t shirts harder to work with doing a quilt!
@Morleyhunt (16545)
T-shirts are. Cub harder to work with. They stretch so you need extra care to keep things from distorting.
I'm sure your grandson will be thrilled with his Tshirt quilt and have a great keepsake. Looks like a great and fun project
@Morleyhunt (16545)
It's been a challenge. The quilting should be finished sometime today. Then I'll add the bonding and label. I can only work on the machine quilting for short bursts. The weight and awkwardness of manoeuvring it under the machine is taxing.