Summer rain, a birthday party, and crisp dollar bills

"Life is but a dream," by Nancy Bright
@CoralLevang (37066)
It is nearly 5 a.m., and I woke up after a few hours of sleep on the couch again last night. I might have slept better upstairs in my bed, however; last night we got the most wonderful, gentle summer rain. I had neglected some dishes in the kitchen the past couple of days, so I unloaded the dishwasher and put everything away a few minutes ago. I hand-washed the few things in the sink and they are drip-drying. Going through another box/bag, I came across an 11"x14" signed print by artist, Nancy Bright, that I found at a thrift store awhile ago for about a dollar. I just framed it and have wrapped it to give to my friend, BKB, for helping me so much. She loves fairies, and I gave her a print years ago from (who I believe is) the same artist. I have included a link below to the artist's web page that shows this newest print I will gift to my friend. Today I will be attending a 9th birthday party for my young nephew. His birthday is not for a week yet, but we will have cake and ice cream this afternoon. I purchased a few school supplies yesterday that I have yet to wrap. I have also continued (with him) the tradition that his grandmother (my mother) did with all the grandchildren. She died before he turned three years old, so would not remember opening up a birthday card with crisp bills falling out, totaling the number of years of age. Auntie Coco does that for him, and I need to write out his card. I have nine single dollar bills to include. It is the last year that he will get all singles. Next year, it will be a $10 bill. I need to try to get a bit more sleep this morning, but wanted to do a few things first. Now that I have caught up on notifications and this note, and a couple of other very small projects, I can head back to bed for a little while! I have my windows open and am enjoying the freshness of the clean morning air. I hope the rain was enough to provide us with a smokeless sky, entering into our late summer. Take care and have a pleasant Sunday morning, afternoon or night, wherever you are!! * * * * * * * * * * * * * Photo credit: Pixabay, C00 Public Domain, Light rain Shared artist's print, "Life Is But a Dream" by Nancy Bright (from her website)
http://brightcreationsart.com/new/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/WP-JL-32-opt.jpg
If I could get crisp dollar bills for each year of my life, wealth beyond imagination!
@CoralLevang (37066)
You're younger than me.
@CoralLevang If you got a buck for every year, you would have all the dollar bills in the world!
@CoralLevang (37066)
@JohnRoberts *shows you my orientation on my finger* @sonjarae. Would you please take care of John? He's getting a little rowdy
Have a wonderful time at the party. Nothing wrong with following the tradition.
@CoralLevang (37066)
I didn't do it at first but I started a couple of years ago.
@velvet53 (15373)
• Palisade, Colorado
I am glad to hear that you got some rain. I know that you needed it to simmer down the smoke. You were busy this morning. I am sure that your friend will like that picture. It is neat. I have a picture of a fairy somewhere but I am not sure where it is right now. Have a great time at the birthday party. My grandson turned 12 today. They are up in the mountains celebrating.
@CoralLevang (37066)
I'm glad you like the fairy. This print is actually also signed Again by the artist in Gold over her regular signature that was on the painting. So she obviously signed many of her prints.
@velvet53 (15373)
• Palisade, Colorado
@CoralLevang That is interesting. How was the party?
@CoralLevang (37066)
@velvet53 it was pretty typical of a 9 year old who wanted cake and ice cream and presents from family and a few friends.
Hey, what happened to that practice of getting money in our birthday cards? I miss that. LOL We are having lower temps here and it is supposed to go on for a few days. Sure is nice. I have had my window open all day. Wish we would get some rain.
@CoralLevang (37066)
The last time I got any money in my birthday card I got $2 from one of my old relatives. And I was 18 years of age. I just pulled back into my parking space here in front of my own house and it's misting again. I hope it rains again tonight. It sure smells fresh
@CoralLevang ......It finally rained here. Several times off and on yesterday evening. So nice for a change. I love the fresh smell after a rain.
@CoralLevang (37066)
@celticeagle yes, we had rain 2 days ago and it really changed yesterday A lot. It looks a little overcast right now but I don't think we're going to get rain
I've always loved the idea of the money in a card based on age. But we only do it for those 5 and under. And only when its kids whos parents we trust to save it for the kids and not spend it. We also get a small gift.
@CoralLevang (37066)
If I were going to be concerned about a child spending the money, then I would buy a savings bond. When they hit about 16, they're going to get a $20 gifts card from Target or someplace like that. So they can spend their money on what they want to add a particular store. When they are grown up, and graduated from high school, I do not give them gifts if they do not stay in contact with me. I am completely good with getting somebody something as long as they do not expect it from me simply because the relationship is such that they have come to expect it. And that's the thing that's the hardest about most young people today, they don't want anything to do with the older crowd. And if that's the case, then I'm not throwing anything at them. I know that sounds harsh, but I've given too much over the years and not even gotten thank yous from certain people in my life. Which is why I will send things to people that I know will appreciate them and me. I don't care what their ages are.
@CoralLevang we only do for those in our life too.
@CoralLevang (37066)
@Courtlynn unfortunately, that makes me feel a little bit guilty. And I hang on much longer than I probably should. But I have someone who has reminded me that most are not going to like what you've given them, complain about it to others, never thank you, and not notice when you don't give them things. I'm trying to hold on to that
Have a great time at your nephew party. This is a nice tradition, my grandmothers also used to give me money.
@CoralLevang (37066)
Of course! Grandmothers everywhere like that, at least those of us who had them when they were very much older before technology and toys got complicated
@CoralLevang My paternal grandmother lived with us, I loved her more because we were so close. We talked a lot every day. She was an intelligent and beautiful woman.
@CoralLevang (37066)
@LadyDuck how wonderful for you
@silvermist (15355)
Both the pictures,(Life is but a dream and the Fairy ) are beautiful.I like summer rains.Hope you enjoy the advance Birthday party of your nephew.
@CoralLevang (37066)
The name of the fairy picture is " life is but a dream." The wooded picture after rain is one from pixabay. It reminds me a lot of our wooded areas of here in Washington except the trees are a little different. I thought it was appropriate and I wish you could smell the fresh air right now. It's still raining this morning. My nephew is always someone that I love to see. He is this feisty little redhead. I can't believe he's as old as he is. I remember when he was born and a few months later was living with me when my sister, my niece, and he moved from a different state into my very small apartment for a while.
@silvermist (15355)
@CoralLevang Looking at the picture I feel like I am standing among the trees.Good to know more about your favorite nephew.Today is the party?
@CoralLevang (37066)
@silvermist I understand what you mean by standing amongst the trees. I love going out in nature in places that look like this. And yes today is the party. At 3. It is now 1 so I better get busy!
@Tracy04 (10660)
Hope you have a great day ahead!
@CoralLevang (37066)
It is 1:20 a.m. right now and I'm heading to bed. You have a great day ahead as well
@Tracy04 (10660)
Good of you to continue that tradition. I'm expecting a couple of crispy $110 notes when my birthday rolls along in the next couple of months!
@CoralLevang (37066)
Only when I get mine!
The air is always lovely and fresh after a shower of rain.
@CoralLevang (37066)
And we needed it so badly
@CoralLevang Then it's all good.
@alberello75 (11888)
• Genova, Italy
Here in italy, it is already Sunday afternoon, it is 4:26 PM. We still have no idea how to spend the afternoon until the evening. In some ways, we will study some "project"
@CoralLevang (37066)
Have a great afternoon and evening!
@alberello75 (11888)
• Genova, Italy
@CoralLevang Thank you. You're welcome
@sallypup (19254)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Did you ever get one of those birthday cards that had slots for dimes? I loved those.
@CoralLevang (37066)
Yes! And in the mail it was so wonderful! Nowadays they would be stolen!
• Eugene, Oregon
It was a pleasant and restful Sunday with cooler weather, and after two trips to Portland this week, I was ready for a quiet day.
@CoralLevang (37066)
Cooler weather in a bit of rain is exactly what we needed here!
• Lakewood, Colorado
Oh my a lovely image you linked to Coral. I hope the day was fine for you too and happy bday to your nephew.
@CoralLevang (37066)
I'm just getting home now. It's hard to believe he's getting so grown up!. Glad that you liked the fairy picture. It's lovely
@dollaboy (6337)
Wishing you a very great Sunday and nice time at your nephew's Birthday party
@CoralLevang (37066)
Thank you! And I hope the end of your weekend is wonderful
@kobesbuddy (11136)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@CoralLevang My mother started putting single bills, in all the Birthday cards for their grand-kids. With time, she was mailing out their cards, signed by Grandpa and Grandma xo
@CoralLevang (37066)
I remember the $1 in the cards. Never more. *laughs*
@kobesbuddy (11136)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@CoralLevang My grandkids would probably shake the envelope and wonder where the rest of the money went!:(
@CoralLevang (37066)
@kobesbuddy That's how I felt with the $9 in ones. Especially since others game him $10 or $20 or $50
@dodo19 (27125)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I hope you have a great time at his birthday party. It's so nice that you're continuing the tradition that your mom started. That's so great. I'm sure your mom would appreciate it.
@CoralLevang (37066)
And we had his party last Saturday, and his birthday is this coming Saturday. I think my nine $1 bills paled in comparison. Other people were giving him 20 and $50. I also gave him school supplies and he had a very snarky comment to make about that. Honestly, it made me not want to ever do it again. But it is fun to see him grow up in some ways and I didn't have that experience with my other nieces and nephews
@kobesbuddy (11136)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@CoralLevang Have a very special Birthday, to Coral's nephew!:)
@CoralLevang (37066)
Thanks. His actual day is the 20th, but he has some other thing going on.