Half Your Age Plus 7

By Lori
@LoriAMoore (12150)
What does that mean? It's the formula for how old a person should be for you to date them. You can date anywhere within the half your age + 7 and up, just not below that number. So it's kind of creepy for a 60 year old man to be dating a 20 year old woman, right? Apply the rule - half his age would be 30, plus 7 would be 37, so a 60 year old man shouldn't date someone younger than 37. I think it should apply equally to both genders. It's a rule-of-thumb, going joke about how much younger someone can be for you to date them. Ever heard it?
Even for a person at 60, even 37 seems much too young.
• Richfield, Utah
Yes, because as a 37 year old myself, I have a 63 year old father. For me, anything older than say, 50 or 55 ish is even pushing it.....
@librarygeek1980 Exactly. One must face the unfortunate reality of age and leave it to wishful thinking imagining that you are young. It hurts knowing that reality and the idea of being with someone half one's age is ridiculous in most cases.
• Richfield, Utah
@JohnRoberts I know it hurts, and I'm guessing at the point past 50, you have to face the fact that life is getting a bit closer to getting over or slowing down, and facing life alone is not exactly ideal. Most of the ones over 50 that are alone that I've talked to are pretty lonely, and tired of it. I dunno, one of those things I guess.it would be interesting to hear from our older mylot friends on this subject of older and alone.
@LoriAMoore I've heard of such formulas but find it concerning as many of those teaches dating students would be justified using this formula! I saw the example of a 16 year old which under your formula could date a 9 year old. I would rather consider this rule of thumb... If the person you date is an age that could make them your child, grandchild of other such thing they are too young!
@CoralLevang (30426)
Bernie, thank you for suggesting this post. I have already responded Elsewhere on the discussion. As far as your math goes, however, half of 16 is 8. Add 7 that would be 15. Which mean the sixteen-year-old could date somebody 15. I'm not sure where the nine-year-old came in.
@CoralLevang I'm having a "senior moment" LOL
@CoralLevang (30426)
@Berniezeitler I hear you! Maybe the 38 year old can breathe some life into me! Because going out with somebody 115, just won't work for me!
I have never heard of it. My husband is 19 1/2 years younger than me. I guess it is up to the couple and not some dumb formula.
@CoralLevang (30426)
*perks up* you mean there's hope for me?
@mommaj (22659)
@ElusiveButterfly On the bright side, eventually one year, he will be half your age plus seven. . Of course he would be 33 and you would be 52. @CoralLevang There is always hope. Whether there is a decent guy is a crap shoot.
@CoralLevang (30426)
@mommaj most of it is just crap?
@Asylum (45476)
• Manchester, England
I have seen several such formulae over the years, none of which are truly viable. This formula would suggest that a 16 year old male should date a 15 year old girl or that a 30 year old man should date a 22 year old woman. These figures seem fine, but it also suggests that a 90 year old man should date a 52 year old woman. If you take any couple, there is only one year during which such a formula would apply.
@LoriAMoore (12150)
That's true, I guess maybe the formula starts at age 40 or something?
@CoralLevang (30426)
At 62, I would not date a 90 year old man! That's just icky!
@SonjaRae (3470)
Never heard of it, but I would follow my heart.
Never heard, but the most popular Italian politician (I am Italian) is 81 years old and her future wife 29... yes he is rich, VERY rich.
@LoriAMoore (12150)
Ah, money explains a lot of things, doesn't it?
@CoralLevang (30426)
If I knew he had six months to live, I'd marry him.
@CoralLevang That's about the only time I'd date that 115-year-old.
@Chellezhere (1039)
Yes, and I believe I heard this when I was half my age plus seven. Most of the men I have dated have been 16 years older. But, according to this formula, I should either be dating an 84 or 31-year-old man. And, personally, I'd rather date the 84-year-old.
You give us old geezers hope lol!
@CoralLevang (30426)
Under the formula, if I were to date an older man, he would have to be 115! I think I'll go for the younger one, at 38!
@LoriAMoore (12150)
@CoralLevang Silly girl, they can be any age, just not younger than 38 or older than 115 -- see now you've got plenty of options.
I have never heard of that but it's up to the ones in the relationship as to what age is acceptable for them. =)
@LoriAMoore (12150)
I just think it's funny that there's a "rule" to keep old men perverts from dating young hot chickies.
@LoriAMoore Lol yes it is!
@CoralLevang (30426)
I have heard of this, and I think it's a good rule of thumb. However, I don't know that now at 62 I could date somebody in their late thirties. For me I could likely go mid to late 40s.
@silvermist (14166)
No,I have not heard of this.But then,I have never been into dating.
I haven't heard this. I always tease Vince that he is my toyboy although he is only 9 months younger than me.
@CoralLevang (30426)
Oh to have a boy toy! Still dreaming of Idris Elba!
@kobesbuddy (2593)
No, I've never heard of this before today. Older women who date young guys, need their brains examined! And for the old men who select their dates from the youthful chicks, that fella needs to guard his bank account, closely!
Never heard of it.
@BarBaraPrz (15863)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
I've never heard of this. But then, I never was one for dating, either.
I haven't heard that one. With that kind of formula, I'd be dating someone my children's age. That would be too creepy.
• Laguna Woods, California
@just4him - I agree that this formula could create some very uncomfortable situations. Perhaps half your age plus 10 or 12 would be a bit more appropriate.
@DeborahDiane I think I'll just leave the matter up to God, though I know I wouldn't consider marriage with someone my children's age.
• Laguna Woods, California
@just4him - I've been married for nearly 46 years, so it all just a matter of speculation for me. I agree that I could not marry someone the same age as my children!
Never heard of it but wouldn't follow it as 19 is too young for me. I like my guy to be 1-4 years older than me.
@CoralLevang (30426)
You'll get older! And so will they!
@CoralLevang yes but that age gap will always be there and I don't like that.
@CoralLevang (30426)
@Courtlynn if you use that formula, yes. But if you just look at the age difference, when you are 47 and he's 40, the difference isn't all that much. Even though it's the same age difference.
Yes, both genders. Never heard of it.
@moffittjc (29479)
• Gainesville, Florida
I've never heard of that rule, but should it really even be a rule? I mean, whatever makes people happy, right?
• Laguna Woods, California
@moffittjc - You made a good point ... why should there be a rule? However, if someone wants a rule, I think a better one would be half your age plus 10 or 12. But, you are right, a rule really shouldn't be necessary.
@moffittjc (29479)
• Gainesville, Florida
@DeborahDiane I think that if two people are in love, let them be. Let them enjoy themselves. Consenting adults can make whatever choices they want that makes them happy.
• Laguna Woods, California
@moffittjc - I agree in letting other people be. I never understand all these laws regarding who people can marry ... except the issues with first cousins and things like that. Sometimes I think the government gets too involved in the bedroom.
That would be too young for me , because I am 54 and a 34 year old could be my child
• Laguna Woods, California
@Tampa-girl7 - That's a perfect example of a situation which could be uncomfortable. I think adding 10 or 12 years to half your age would be better.
Nope, I've never heard of it before.