One Trick To Make Your Coffee Taste Even Better!

Food,drink,coffee beans
By DB
How do you make your coffee? Do you grind the beans yourself or buy a container with coffee ready to brew. I have done both ways myself. If your a grinder the web site " Eat This, Not That", has a recommendation for you to make your coffee taste spectacular! All you have to do is one easy, science-backed trick. Chemists at the University of Bath collaborated with a British café' to analyze how different temperatures of coffee beans affects flavor. They found that chilling coffee beans before grinding them resulted in a more tasty and aromatic dose of caffeine. This article contradicts another source I found, "Real Simple," who recommends keeping your coffee in an opaque airtight container away from light, heat, and moisture. They also stated if you do freeze your beans and thaw, use them within 2 weeks to retain their flavor. In addition, keeping beans in the freezer over 1 month effects its quality. So seems like a difference of opinion on coffee freshness and a topic to debate here? Has anyone heard of this trick for preparing coffee? How do you store your coffee beans? What is your method for preparing coffee? Sources- Eat This, Not That & Real Simple Photo- trilllist.com
I buy pre ground and I keep it in the bag but mash the air out. I do not freeze the coffee.
The key phrase there is keep the air and light out. Keeping the coffee in a dark cupboard seems like a good idea according to "Real Simple."
@hotsummer (10218)
@dgobucks226 mine is inside the cabinet so it's in dark place already
@hotsummer You are a very efficient person my friend Compliments to you
Did I tell you that I am Italian? Freezing the beans (or even keeping them in the refrigerator) is a crime, they become humid and the taste of the coffee suffers. I grind my beans (of course) and I keep the beans in a airtight container in a cool dark place. This is only the start.
@dgobucks226 I suppose that my Mom years ago read something similar. When she prepared the coffee I asked her if she bought very cheap beans or what she did to kill all the aroma, she explained she has put the grind in the freezer because she had read this, I replied "sometimes is better not to be able to read".
@LadyDuck As they say "you can't believe everything you read."
@dgobucks226 No, absolutely not, there are articles about "Italian habits" that are fully wrong, the same for the other countries.
@franxav (3151)
The only coffee we get in our place is instant coffee powder. I long for the crushed bean coffee.
Fresh coffee beans are so gooood! Sorry, not trying to rub it in. Enjoy your day!
• Richfield, Utah
Since I'm the only one in the house that drinks coffee, I do instant. I'm not letting my oldest son drink coffee till he 16. My dad on the other hand, still makes his on the stove with the old percolators. Best coffee ever!
Appreciate the feedback. Interesting coffee tricks there
• Richfield, Utah
@dgobucks226 yes, very, course this was before the coffee maker was even commmon, plus my dad was kinda old school
I remember my grandmother pounding coffee beans - I haven't seen any since.
Those were the days, but prefer a grinding machine myself
@Tracy04 (8430)
That's interesting. But am not a coffee drinker though.
Glad you found it interesting Tracy. Guess you don't need coffee's pick me up?
@Tracy04 (8430)
@dgobucks226 coffee's pick me up? Sorry what's that lol. I know pick me up song is from Korean song
@Tracy04 Pick me up is American slang for provides you energy if your feeling tired. The coffee has caffeine in it so it provides energy to your body (pick me up). Hope that explains it Tracy
That's odd, they say chill your beans, yet we are told not to store 'ground' coffee in the fridge. I ground my own beans for a while, but it was too much of a pain.
I thought that was strange also? Guess the only way to see is to try it out. Thanks for the response Abby.
@dgobucks226 I got rid of the grinder...anyway I'm into Keurig now.
@AbbyGreenhill Love Keurig! I buy those café escape coffees (Chai latte) so good and Duncan Donuts and Green Mountain ones are also very good. Lot less hassle if you just want one cup
• Manitou Springs, Colorado
I've never heard of it. Interesting. We just buy regular, already ground coffee.
The question really is how much of a coffee gourmet are you to go through all this trouble. Keeping it in a dark place in an airtight container to keep light out seems a reasonable way to preserve coffee.
• Manitou Springs, Colorado
@dgobucks226 - Not a gourmet at all. We just buy whatever is on sale.
@teamfreak16" Sale" is a wonderful word! It is my second favorite word after free
@velvet53 (9921)
My daughter in law keeps her beans in an air tight container in the closet. She will take some out and grind them so she has a few days supply of ground beans. These she puts in an air tight container and puts it in the refrigerator.
I think many people use that method. Thanks for responding!
@velvet53 (9921)
@dgobucks226 I am now ready for a cup of coffee. Have a great day.
@velvet53 You also
We either buy pre-ground or grind the beans ourselves. Interesting about chilling them . . . for the longest time ours were cold anyway because a friend told us it's better to keep it in the fridge! But then we heard it's best to not store them in the fridge. Not sure which tastes better honestly . . . just give me some hot bean water and I'm happy .
All this conflicting opinion. Too many methods can be disorienting to one's routine. I hear you on that one!
@dgobucks226 Yep - I need a second cup as I continue to ponder .
@much2say Ha, Ha
@JeeyanDee (1502)
Sounds cool! I will try that
I know, another use for your freezer besides storing ice cream
@JeeyanDee (1502)
@dgobucks226 Hahaha. True!
@bluesa (8346)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I store them in a container, never thought to freeze them. And I am a creature of habit, so I think I will stick with storing them in a container.
Nothing wrong with that!
@bluesa (8346)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@vsai2008 (5780)
I use instant coffee powder for making coffee I didnt try with coffee beans
Hey, instant works. Whatever is satisfying to you SAI V
@vsai2008 (5780)
Divergence of opinion amongst the experts what a surprise...not!. I just usually keep them in the container they came in.
And the containers are usually a dark color to keep light out.
@dramagirl26 (3318)
• Ringgold, Virginia
I've never heard of doing that in order to prepare coffee.
I've heard about it but never read any articles about it until now.
@seldom (2461)
• Albania
I didn't know any of this. Thank you for sharing your ideas.
You bet! Thanks for your response.
@kepweng (733)
im a coffee lover thats my favorite drink in morning same with choco powder i try to mixed choco powder and coffee and put a milk its taste good
Interesting comment That's something to try!
@dpk262006 (51933)
We normally take instant coffee. Coffee which is made of beans requires a filter and longer process, which we do not resort to. No doubt that if one makes coffee with beans it would have different taste than instant coffee. Thanks for sharing information about getting better taste of coffee from the beans.
Your quite welcome! Appreciate the feedback.
@poehere (12031)
• French Polynesia
I tried for years to drink coffee. Evening working the graveyard shift I tried hard to drink it. I put in tons of sugar and cream and it still tasted awful to me. I gave up on drinking coffee years and years ago. However, my boyfriend loves coffee and he can even drink the instant stuff if he needs his coffee.
In a pinch, instant coffee rules!!!!
@hotsummer (10218)
Oh well i wish i have a grinder but isn't it coffee contains more caffeine than instant coffee. So i think i will just be happy with my instant coffee
Well look at the positive, instant coffee is a lot less work