The Price of Carelessness

Winston Salem, North Carolina
I am not the world’s most coordinated person. I trip over my own feet and regularly fall up stairs. Usually my carelessness results only in minor scratches and bruises and I continue merrily on my way. But every now and again I do something that gives me a solid reminder that I really should be more careful. Thursday night while putting some items away I managed to stub my pinky toe on the edge of the bathroom door. The pain of impact was powerful enough that my husband heard my “OOOOWWWW” from the basement (our bathroom is upstairs in our loft). I hopped around on one foot for a bit, before deciding that I would live and continuing about my business. Friday morning when I got out of bed I could barely walk. The outside edge of my right foot screamed in protest everytime I put weight on it. Walking with most of my weight on my heel and the inside edge of my foot eased the pain but caused me to hobble awkwardly. I spent most of Friday sitting on my keister, and while my foot was somewhat better yesterday it still was painful to walk on. In a normal day I walk the dog twice (one mile in the morning, two in the evening), and generally bounce around the house and the yard as I complete various chores and other tasks. This morning the pain has eased a little more and I can walk a little further, but I’m still not in any condition to walk the dog up and down our street. The lesson has been painful and I’ll probably be diligent about wearing slippers in the house for a while, but knowing my own stupidity I suspect that eventually I will make the same mistake again. Don’t feel sorry for me, in fact tell me that I’m being stupid...maybe the lesson will stick this time. Life can be pretty brutal about repeatedly testing us on certain lessons….
I know exactly how you feel, I used to dislocate my pinky all the time but it sounds like what you may have done is broken a small bone in your pinky, may I suggest you get an xray?
If it is broken they don't actually do much for broken toes. It already feels significantly better than it did Friday morning so I'm going to let it heal on it's own.
Maybe all you need is a good soft padded shoe for a while @Platespinner
I've stubbed and broken my little pinky toes more than once. I can feel you pain and know exactly what you are going through. Hope it heals soon and you can get back to walking and doing all the things you normally do. Can you put shoes on yet?
I've been able to put shoes on, they just get uncomfortable very quickly. I've been gingerly walking around my house barefoot.
@UncleJoe (9331)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Sorry to hear you injured yourself. I can certainly empathize with that. The worst of it is that you just don't have time for that.
Thankfully I heal fast and am no longer hobbling around like a cripple!
@UncleJoe (9331)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@Platespinner I wish I could say that.
@UncleJoe That old saying that God protects fools and children comes to mind...I'm too old to fall into the latter category so clearly I must be one of the former .
Yes it only takes an instant for things like that to happen Joanne. I hope your foot will improve very soon. It is my back that seems to always twist.
I haven't had back issues in years, but there was a time when it was a frequent problem. Very painful, and very frustrating.
@Platespinner Glad at least you don´t have that..how is your foot now Joanne?
@TiarasOceanView It's almost back to normal. I was able to do 3/4 of my usual evening walk, hopefully tomorrow I'll be back to my usual 2 miles. Thankfully I'm a fast healer.
@silvermist (18518)
I do not walk barefoot in my house any more.I agree with you.Such accidents will continue.But I hope your toe gets healed soon.
I never wear shoes in the house and only wear slippers when it's really cold. I guess I should change that.
@silvermist (18518)
@Platespinner Or you can be very very careful-treading softly,if that is possible.
You are not stuid and what happened to you happens to a lot of people. I hope you are feeling better now. I got sick of bumping into cabinets or falling so I asked my physical therapist what to do and she gave me balancing exercises. I don ot remember the exercises, but, I believed they helped.
There is nothing wrong with my balance, and yeah, I am stupid. I tend to move to quickly and not pay enough attention to what is around me. A little bit of caution would probably save me a lot of bumps and bruises.
@Platespinner Ok, but I thought since you have accidents maybe your balance is off. Sorry, I am wrong. Good luck.
I never walk barefoot, I learnt the lesson years ago when rain watered entered from a windows, I slipped on it and almost broke my head.
I've always gone barefoot or stocking footed in the house. I wear slippers when it's really cold, but this time of year my feet are usually completely bare. I probably should stop that.
@Platespinner I never do, you never know on what you could step on, a bug, a spider, something that broke and cut your foot, I know nobody here being barefoot in their homes.
@PatZAnthony (12262)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Yes, life can be pretty brutal! Hope you feel better soon @Platespinner
It's definitely on the mend. I was actually able to walk up and down our street again last night so I'll be back up to full steam-ahead again very soon.
@PatZAnthony (12262)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
@Platespinner It is never fun to have to slow down when we have an injury.
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
Ouch that must be very painful. Did you have it looked at by anyone.
I'm very reluctant to go to get things looked at. Had it not improved significantly I'd be going in tomorrow, but at the current rate of improvement I'll be walking normally again in another day or two.
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
@Platespinner It sounds like it's healing on it's own. I boke my little finger years ago. I left it to mend.
I often get distracted and trip and even fall at times. I suppose it takes a while to learn the lesson of being careful when walking around.
I've been walking for some 47 years and I haven't learned to be careful yet....I'm beginning to think that I'm hopeless.
@Platespinner I even say to myself, "Watch your step!" Sometimes that works, but I often forget to say it.
@Tracy04 (10575)
Hope your legs feel better by the day.
My legs are fine, and my foot is doing much better as well. Thank you.
@xFiacre (4170)
@platespinner Ouch, I felt that.
I wouldn't have been surprised if you had said you heard my yelp. My husband doesn't usually hear me and he was two floors away.
Been there and done that so I wont call you names. I hope your foot is better today.
It's slowly improving. At this rate I should be walking reasonably normally in another couple of days.
@1creekgirl (9801)
I'm so sorry! But that's why they're called accidents. Don't be too hard on yourself. My daughter is so much like her dad, except she inherited my clumsiness. I think she's visited most ERs and Urgent Cares in the country.
It was an accident, but an accident that could have been avoided if I had been a little more careful. I think I need to start wearing slippers in the house year round so my toes are less subject to getting stubbed.
@Hate2Iron (7520)
You fall up the stairs... I fall down every flight of stairs that I come in contact with. I think that the trick is to SLOW DOWN. I'm always in a rush!!
Thankfully I rarely fall down stairs (though I have done it a couple of times). You're right about the slowing down part...unfortunately I seem to always be in a hurry.
@mohit459 (9852)
• Haldwani, India
Ya it can!!
I am always banging my toes on something, and it is a really stupid thing to do. I grew up with these toes and they are attached to my foot on the end of my leg, so how come I can't treat them with more respect....
You sound like me. I want to slap myself everytime I bump something but that really wouldn't help.
I trip over things all the time or hit my hands or arms on things a lot.