Online Booking Ticket Scam

By Gill
@Gillygirl (17276)
Sutton, England
Last November my daughter purchased two tickets online for her and her partner to see the comedian Micky Flannigan at the O2 Arena in London. The show is taking place in September. She can't go to see the event now as she's expecting a baby soon. As the tickets were a Christmas present for her partner she didn't want him to miss out so ensured he had someone else to accompany him. It only occurred to her today that the tickets must be due to be sent out now. The website promised they would arrive two weeks before the event. However on trying to contact the company who sold the tickets she found there was no trace of them. It was a bogus company who cheat people out of their hard earned money. Unfortunately my daughter paid by debit card. Had she have used her credit card she would have been able to have claimed the £120 paid for the tickets from her credit card company. Scams like this are occurring often. Bogus holidays have been in the news a lot recently. Have you ever been scammed online?
@dollaboy (6232)
Sorry to know about it. These bogus companies are every where
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
Yes it pays to be vigilant when ordering online.
Oh no I am so sorry..that is a lot of money to be scammed out of Yes that is why I always pay with credit not debit. No I had not been scammed.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
I haven't been scammed either. I use tried and trusted websites.
Yikes! That is just awful!!!! I'm terribly sorry your daughter has been scammed. That's never happened to me, but I use American Express whenever we have large or foreign purchases. They always honor losses and scams such as this.
@Gillygirl Same with me when we were in Sweden. Love AMEX! I feel horrible for your daughter!
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
@DianneN She's trying to get last minute tickets now but they are very pricy.
@Gillygirl I hope she can get them, if she really wants to go. Often, it's worth the price.
Before I purchase anything online I look for reviews that others have made. If it is a company I check with the BBB. Many have learned that they should purchase tickets through a reputable agency. Sad that so many are out there to take advantage of people. Sorry that your daughter fell prey to this.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
It seems that the site she purchased the tickets from initially had fake reviews.
@Gillygirl so sorry that she got burned.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
@ElusiveButterfly I think she will be more wary in future.
No and I have been shopping online a lot for a very long time but I usually buy tickets and such directly from the venue itself since there are so many scams out there or from Ticketmaster. No deals but always tickets.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
I prefer tried and trusted websites. Ticketmaster are expensive once booking fees are added. There are not many options to buy tickets in person.
@Gillygirl I know I really prefer to just deal with the box office.
@sol_cee (14387)
• Japan
Oh that's terrible. People will do anything to milk others. Sad.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
I know, these scams are evil.
@bunnybon7 (35928)
• Holiday, Florida
a couple of times and i am very careful. anyone that buys anything online has it happen sooner or later
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
Yes, it is better to use tried and trusted websites.
@Platespinner (16510)
That's a shame!
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
Yes it's a great disappointment.
It has not happened to me, but I read warnings every day from our police. When I pay something online, I like to use PayPal, in case of problem you can claim the money back.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
Yes PayPal is the best way. My daughter told me it was a Spanish based website. I would have been suspicious.
@Gillygirl I would have been suspicious also, I would never pay a site based in Spain, Italy or Greece, I am not racist (I am Italian), I only like to play safe.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
@LadyDuck Yes I play safe too. I would be suspicious of a site not based in the UK that sells concert tickets.
@sishy7 (27651)
Luckily no, but I feel so bad for your daughter...
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
It sounds like she should have investigated the site selling tickets. It wasn't one of the famous ones.
@sishy7 (27651)
@Gillygirl I wonder what made her decided to go with the site... Did they offer some huge discount or something?
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
@sishy7 They seemed to have better seats at a good price.
@ridingbet (50262)
oh, and i thought those instances of scamming online is only here in my country.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
It's a global thing nowadays.
@ridingbet (50262)
@Gillygirl i saw on FB about how a man refused to work in a hardware store. the manager saw him begging to the customers so he wanted to give the man a job, but the man refused, even saying he gets more money by begging rather than the decent work offered to him.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
@ridingbet If begging could be stopped there would be an incentive to work.
@velvet53 (16364)
• Palisade, Colorado
I am sorry to hear this. There is so much of it going on anymore and a lot of them are never caught.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
Sadly this is very true. I've just been watching a program where fraudsters sell cars on Ebay. They then encourage people to pay by bank transfer and are never seen again.
@velvet53 (16364)
• Palisade, Colorado
@Gillygirl There needs to be a stop to this stuff
@FayeHazel (17164)
Oh no. That is too bad. It is a good warning for all of us... also I will keep that in mind to use my credit cards buying online - instead of my debit card
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
Yes, at least with a credit card refunds can be obtained.
@FayeHazel (17164)
@Gillygirl Wow, and here I had thought that debit cards were covered, too, it is good to know
That's horrible! I'm sorry she is unable to get that money back. She must be heart sick over it. I've never been scammed by an online site, but thanks for the heads up on it.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
I think she has learnt not to use an obscure company and to use her credit card in future.
@Gillygirl Good thing.
@nomus24g (22298)
there's eventually scam in everything these days....
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
There are so many scams around. If I order online I prefer to stick to tried and trusted online retailers.
@nomus24g (22298)
@Gillygirl yes, one should be very careful online...
@KrauseHome (35026)
Sorry that this happened. Scams like this happen all the time. I have been scammed before and it is never a good feeling
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
No it's horrible. It seems the norm now to buy tickets online but I would use a well know retailer.
No I question things to much. I am sorry she got ripped off.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
I think she will stick to tried and trusted websites in future.
@Tracy04 (10527)
Sorry to hear that happen to her! I always try to buy tickets by hand instead of online to avoid that happens.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
I remember queuing up early to get tickets. Online sales are so encouraged now.
Oh, I am so sorry this happened to your daughter. I have not been scammed online yet, but it could happen to me too one day.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
It is becoming more and more common nowadays.
Hasn't happened to me yet - but I will be more vigilant in the future. Sorry that your daughter was a victim of these online thieves.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
Yes great care is needed with some online retailers. The company she used was Spanish based which would have rung alarm bells with me.