The Look That Strikes Fear in My Heart!

My sister and I visited our 96-year-old dad yesterday. Dad gives staff a really hard time when they try to give him his medicine. He grumbles, spits out the medicine, and demands they "Stop right now!' Previous to yesterday, Dad would always take his medicine if I kept encouraging him to do so. Whoa! After several verbal encouraging statements from me to get Dad to take his medicine yesterday, Dad gave me that look that scared the daylights out of me when I was a kid. Huge flashback! When my sister saw the look, she went out into the hallway to save herself. What a chicken!!! Our dad was not a nice dad. He had, and still has, a mean streak. As kids, my siblings and I delighted when Dad went out of town on business because we would not have to endure his temper and name-calling. When we saw Dad's car parked in the driveway signaling his return from a business trip, our hearts would sink. Well, Dad, from now on, if you don't take the medicine, it is your choice. You freak me out too much with that hateful look i know so well that you levied upon me yesterday, and I am too old to deal with that kind of behavior. I love my dad, but dang, that man was not a nice guy when it came to his family and his wife, and he certainly hasn't changed. When my dad taught, I bet his students were scared of him too! Photo: Dad teaching.
I know the feeling, my dad wasn't nice when I was a kid either. My siblings and I didn't like him and we were literally scared of him. Now he's gotten better since he knows he doesn't have as much control since we live on our own. However, when my family at one point lived with him he was mean again...since it was "his house and his rules".
Yes, our dad dig get a bit nicer when he retired, but no way would we want to make him angry. We were scared of our dad too. My mom was in the nursing home with dementia, and I asked her if she wanted to go home, and she said, "No, he is there," meaning my dad. Preferring a nursing home over one's own home due to not wanting to live with the person, Dad, still in the home speaks volumes about my dad.
@Corbin5 That's very sad that she would rather a nursing home. =(
@Hatley Oh, I am so sorry to hear about this Patsie. Yes, abuse of any kind can destroy a child and it takes time to recover from the abuse. My dad was very hard on my brother who moved to another state and rarely visits and never asks about Dad at all. Cannot blame him.
I am sorry, I cannot imagine having to live being scared of my dad.
Yes, my grandmother, my dad's mother, told my mother to protect my brother from our dad, her own son. She actually said, "Keep Allan (my dad) away from Barry (my brother)."
It's funny how just a "look" can give you flashbacks to a time when dad wasn't so pleasant. I'm with you...you're too old to deal with bad behavior and it's basically up to the staff to see that he takes his medicine (or not)
Well, at age 96, Dad should have the right to decide even if his decisions are not in his favor.
• Lakewood, Colorado
It must have really struck a nerve with you Deborah because I know you want the best for your Dad.
Just startled seeing that look that really is a hateful one. We do love Dad, but boy, that guy was not a nice dad at all.
I am so sorry to hear he wasn't a nice dad, and that he still has a mean face that spooks you many years later. I hipe one day before its late he decides to take his meds every day
Well, at age 96, I will just let him make his own decisions as to taking medication or not. No use forcing the issue.
@Corbin5 oh i know, that's why I said i hppe one day before its late he decides to take them.. on his own.
@Lucky15 (33691)
I am thinking, maybe the same look as our math teacher gave us when i was in high school
Yes, many teachers have that look.
@kepweng (6390)
my father looks is like tiger eyes hes the boss of home just respect
Mine was just downright mean more often than not.
• Riga, Latvia
Well I say grin and bear it. At least you still have your daddy and I have missed mine for ages. Blessings to your dad.
Sis and I do cater to Dad's every need, and we do love him, but from now on, he can make his own decisions as to how he wants his medical care to proceed.
@RubyHawk (21393)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I agree with you. It's the staffs job to give him his medicine and if he doesn't want to take it, that's up to him.
Yes, staff are trained in this, and my sister and I are not.
@RubyHawk (21393)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Corbin5 True, but I'm sorry you and your sister were hurt by the attitude.
@RubyHawk My brother suffered the most. He moved to another state and rarely sees or inquires about Dad. You reap what you sow.
I'm so sorry you feared your dad your entire life, even though you love him. At least you still have him around, mean streak and all. I had a teacher like that, and being frightened is no way to learn. My dad was strict, but very loving, and of course, I was his little angel. I miss him terribly and my mother, too.
My dad's mother, our grandmother, told my mother to keep her son away from my brother whenever possible. Dad was so very hard on him. And, my brother rarely visits Dad. You reap what you sow.
@Corbin5 Imagine that! It boggles the mind. Your dad probably couldn't change his personality if he wanted to. At least you and your sister are there for him despite his demeanor and anger issues. Giant hugs to you for doing what you do. There are those that don't even talk to their parents, let alone love them for better or worse. That, I truly can't understand or accept.
@Paige32 (1674)
@Corbin5 This is quite sad. I hope your brother was able to get over this and didn't develop any emotional scars as a result of this.
@resukill22 (4059)
I feel sorry for that, all you need to do is always talk to him about how important is to take a medicine, like my mother in law his so strick and sometimes in a bad mode so she always don't want to take a medicine, so I tell her if you don't want to take your medicine you will never saw ur grandson , because he loves her grandson to much ,so now she always the one who look for her medicine to drink
You worked out the medicine-taking for your mother-in-law very well. Yes, all I can do is talk to him about the benefits of taking the medicine and then the rest is up to him.
@Corbin5 thank you! Just continue what are you doing, I cheer you up
Blood is thicker than water and you and your sister have proved it beyond words caring for him despite what memories you have of him.
Yes, we cared for our mother, a rather temperamental woman, for many years, and now Dad. Those two fought all the time, but both had fiery tempers.
@Corbin5 Reading through your activities here I notice you have not inherited those traits from your parents.
@allknowing Neither did my brother or sister. Apparently, our parents taught us how not to live life.
@sueznewz2 (9381)
• Alicante, Spain
ssooo sad and sorry... about your remembrances.... it's hard being around people like that...
Well, Mom and Dad were both narcissists and they had epic battles on a regular basis. Both parents taught us what not to be like as humans, them.
@sueznewz2 (9381)
• Alicante, Spain
@Corbin5 you've done a good job on yourselves inspite of your begginings...
@PatZAnthony (11813)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
We have learned (the hard way) that the pleasant and loving people who were the happy and fun types, stay that way as they age. Those who were cranky and not nice to others seem to stay cranky and rude! Not really anything you (or anyone) can do about it now.
Yes, temper is a habit. It can be controlled, but many choose not to. It was the derogatory names he called my brother, sister, and me that did the most damage. Even though Dad was talented and successful, he must have had low self-esteem.
@PatZAnthony (11813)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
@Corbin5 People have many issues and it seems some really do choose not to change their habits. It is really sad. He is really blessed to have family around after all you went through.
Oh Deborah this brings tears to my eyes. Isn't it amazing that we can have love for family members that have a mean streak. I have someone in my family like this too. Your father is truly blessed that you love him and have stuck by him in spite of his behavior. Hugs to you and your sis
Thank you, my friend. My dad's mother, our grandmother, told my mother to keep my brother away from her son, our dad, whenever she could. My brother got the worst of it. He lives in another state and rarely visits Dad or asks about how he is doing. I cannot blame him. My sister swears Dad has had P.T.S.D. since WWII ended. She may be right.
@Corbin5 she might be onto something. I think most individuals like this have some kind of underlying condition that causes the horrid behavior.
• Preston, England
he sounds quite a formidable character here and in your other posts - he is lucky you are taying loyal to him in his needs now
Yes, my sister has often asked, "Why are we doing this for him?" But, we do.
• Preston, England
@Corbin5 because you are good decent loving people
@nanette64 (13843)
• Fairfield, Texas
That's why we're sisters @Corbin5 . All dad had to do was 'give you that look' and you knew the poop was gonna hit the fan.
Yes, sister of mine, that is another reason why we were meant to be sisters.
@nanette64 (13843)
• Fairfield, Texas
• Pamplona, Spain
I feel for you because you want to reach him at least from the way you write it you do.
Well, we do love Dad, and we will just continue to do so, and merely forget about the past.
• Pamplona, Spain
@Corbin5 I know you love your Dad like I said its the way it comes across.
This is the first time I've read how mean your father was. As for the look, my mother was the one with the look that made me tremble, and according to my kids, I have it too.
Oh yes, I think that look can be very scary for kids. Yes, Dad was, and still is, a big time narcissist and those folks are not the nicest people in this world.
@Corbin5 That's a shame.
@vsai2008 (7610)
I am sorry you had to relive those experiences
Well, Sis and I are always prepared for the "former dad" to appear.
@vsai2008 (7610)
@Corbin5 That is not nice to hear at all, I hope you never get to relive those experiences