Food for thought

Bournemouth, England
I was in my local Lidl supermarket recently (I'm not proud of that but I needed some shopping). Three police officers came in, well, actually it was two police officers and a PCSO. For anyone outside the UK, this stands for 'Police Community Support Officer'. These are people who do much of the same work as fully-fledged police officers but for a much lower salary, thus allowing for cost cutting while claiming that there are still high numbers of police being deployed on the streets. But these weren't on the streets, they were in the supermarket aisles and I heard one of them, a rather grim-looking young man, say 'I'll get the samosas!' Now, it's a good job that I know enough about food to realise that he was referring to what they were having for their dinner because otherwise I might have assumed that the 'Samosas' were some local crime family who were more about dodgy sidelines than tasty side dishes. And this would pose all sorts of questions: Were they being arrested for a breach of the 'peas?' Would they 'fold' under questioning? And would they be released but have their details kept on 'filo?' Or will they 'fry?' I plainly have too much time on my hands. You have to admit, though, that the idea of young British cops with their supermarket samosas is a far cry from all those American cop shows where hard-bitten veterans abandon their supersized coffees, shakes and burgers on the dashboard to go off on a car chase. Have you overheard anything recently that took you off on a flight of fancy?
That was a fun flight of fancy
• Bournemouth, England
Thank you. I hope to be cleared for take-off for another one soon.
There is this restaurant in town that closed suddenly. Now it has been closed for months and months. But everything is still in there. So, when I drive by I imagine all sorts of things. Like rats have taken over inside. Or I imagine the family went somewhere to visit family and ended up refugees somewhere.
• Bournemouth, England
Maybe they called Gordon Ramsay in and he said 'No, not even I can save this one. Give up immediately!'
@asfarasiknow perhaps. It was the only place any where near us to get reasonable falafel.
• Bournemouth, England
@paigea I imagine that must vary a bit in quality from place to place. I have only ever had it cold in packs from supermarkets, which I am guessing, is not the best way to enjoy falafel.
• Eugene, Oregon
I see a trio out walking in the morning sometimes when I am. They are two men and a woman. One of them is pushing a stroller with a baby in it. It is past time for most people to be at work, so I begin to wonder about them. I may write a story, they are a live together family, not sure who the child's father was. How are their lives? Is there resentment? So many other things.
• Bournemouth, England
I wonder how often unconventional people realise that others are looking at them (not necessarily in a judgemental way) and wondering what their story is.
• Eugene, Oregon
@asfarasiknow I resemble that remark!
@KrauseHome (33249)
Interesting way to look at things and actually makes you wonder why they allow junk food so much on television instead of trying to encourage better eating habits
This is going to make me look like an idiot, but what the heck are samosas?
• Bournemouth, England
I'm sure it must vary in different parts of the world but small, triangular, folded, filled filo pastries containing spiced vegetables like chick peas. A side dish with Indian meals.
@asfarasiknow - Ah. Thanks, got it.
• Bournemouth, England
@teamfreak16 I was expected a flood of posts correcting me from members in parts of the world where this dish originates. It would have been quite profitable.
• Preston, England
The Samosas got off by offering bribes or 'currying favours' with the cops.
Love your play on words here, very clever and entertaining.
I have but I can't think what it was. If I remember it, I'll post about it and mention you!
@Ceerios (4775)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@asfarasiknow - Brother Nick - One time I, too, was in a supermarket, buying some Samosas. I paid for them at the checkout counter and asked for a receipt. The clerk gave me a printed receipt that detailed how to bake a loaf if brown bread. -Gus-